OK Joy - Typewriter Beats

OKJoy

What's up Digital Vertigo?

First post on here.

I got a new tape available for free download on Thursday August 29th, 2019. All material from 2014, this track Calzone is my ode to the Westcoast.

Edited by OKJoy
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forums man.

I like that track a lot, but the mastering/EQing on it sounds a bit "thin" to me. Maybe it's just SoundCloud's streaming.

I'm definitely interested to hear more though!

Thank you Steve! I try and make my music sound as good as possible right out the sampler, I don't use any software to produce.

When you say thin, do you mean the low end?

Really nice man, got a great groove and sound to it.

Thanks Broma!

Hopefully you guys will like this next one too. I live in a neighbourhood about 45 minutes from Vancouver.

We call it the forest because there's a lot of parks and trees out here.

Edited by OKJoy

Here it is people, Typewriter Beats, for free download. The concept is just the drum machine as a typewriter, typing up sampled messages and sending them off into the world. This time around Hashbrown and I collaborated on the album art, but the bird pic was still taken by my Dad as usual. Sampled from #Jazz, #Soul and #Rock records. With every tape I try to include a lot of different vibes so hopefully you'll hear something you like. Created on the MPC 1000 and SP 505.

JF29tOIl.jpg

https://okjoy.bandcamp.com/album/typewriter-beats

1. Check it Out
2. Got it
3. City Folk
4. In the House
5. From the Shadows
6. BBQ
7. Calzone
8. Spirits of the Forest
9. Patterns
10. Intrigue
11. Matcha
12. Red Alert
13. On the Griddle
14. Ultra Violins
15. Peace

• Like 3

Hey Kaytoo, thanks for saying that!

Well the process is different every time. For Got it I had the drums ready before and just sampled into the mp and chopped it to hell.

Played a bassline in tune with the sample and that was it.

For something like Patterns, I really liked the rhythm of the sample, so after hearing it I made a drum pattern that matched it.

After playing the sample on top, once again played the bassline and it was done.

Edited by OKJoy