Ortofon Concorde Scratch MK2's Review

UPDATE: I've had the Ortofon Concorde Scratch MK2's for over a month. This is my 30 Day review.

Initial Conditions:

• One needle is used at home, one needle is used at work.
  • Each setup is scratch only (1 turntable, 1 mixer)
  • Technics 1200mk2
  • Height = 1, Anti-Skate= 0, Weight = 4grams

Things I like:

• The headshell handle is obtrusive because it is longer, but it allows you a bit of purchase to find tracks that are towards the extremes, quicker.
  • You can use 1 or 2 fingers to lift the cart by the handle. I used 2 fingers on all Technics and Numark shells and it was harder to reach some tracks because I don't have the longest fingers.
  • It is easier to see the track you are on.
  • They are lightweight and there is less effort to move them around.

Things I don't like:

• So far, they still skip worse than my old M44-7's. Scribble and Hydroplane techniques require a more careful hand.
  • There is a certain hollowness to the sound, I hear it on my Yamaha HS-8's at home - but not my cheap earbuds at work.
  • They are lightweight and there is less effort to move them around.
  • The plastic headshell handle is flexible and cheap. There is still rotational "play" even when they are mounted tightly. It makes it feel cheap.
  • The included carrying case (if you buy the pair together) is probably worth about $10 max.
  • 4g of weight gives you no extra room on 1200 Mk2's. The backwards counterweight trick causes the needle to skip.
  • Finally, the ridiculous cost.

Observations:

• I used these for scratch purposes only. The needles themselves have not been subjected to long periods of tracking time, as it would be if I were only listening or mixing. I'm not sure how this affects the break in period.
  • I generally don't notice the needles when scratching. I DO notice them when I'm heavy handed.
  • I wish the carts were a little heavier so I could back off weight.

I will update this in another few months.

• Like 3

Guest Symatic

nice one for doing such a thorough review man.

looks like you can't interchange stylii between mk1's and 2's either. Lame.

I had a cut with them once or twice so far though, they seemed ok.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

In my experience needles is something worth shelling out on. Especially for scratching. You can get ortofon OM type carts for way less than concorde style ones, they have the same stylus as the concorde ones

• Like 1

Perfect forum for me to ask another shite question ! Budget cartridges and needles suggestions peeps? I wasn’t liking the look of prices when I was having a gander earlier.

Another member of this forum (Dopez) had referenced some knock-off N447 needles for your M447 carts (assuming you already have headshells/carts). They are less than 1/10 the price of the Shures at this point. I might even buy them just to see. If 1 out of 10 is good, it's still a deal.

I think heavy-handedness and finesse are more exposed when your needle is not up to par.

• 2 weeks later...

To da 2 bredrins above: yea, dem Om jobs are reasonable enough price. Gonna have to get new headshells too. Havent changed anything bar styluses since I bought me 12s. (12 years ago now, youd think Id know about this stuff!) My headshells are monstrosities. Im not much worried about skipping. Main thing is not wearing out the vinyl fast.

Any ye know the craic with this needle ~> https://i.imgtc.com/sgzc0Uq.jpg I have a vague memory of the dude who gave me it saying it wasnt good for the vinyl? Aint no dj shops in my town where I can ask my questions !

Oh, its a Stanton needle btw.

Edited by Shimmer

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased some Ortofon Scratch carts and for some reason they are skipping like crazy.

I'm using them with brand new Serato control vinyl on new Reloop rp8000 mk2s.

Skating - 0

Height - 0

Weight - 3.5

Tissue paper in the spindle to tighten things up.

The lateral movement on them is crazy, even when just cueing.

The lateral movement calms down when the weight is lightened but then it still skips like crazy because of lack of weight.

I've tried reversing the weight too but it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

If you're using 1200's you need 4.0g of weight.

You really have to break them in. Let them sit on a groove for a couple of nights.

You will SEE more movement on the cartridge when u baby, but you have to remember that these are both lighter and longer than SHURE. The weight is spread out compared to traditional carts.

I'll be honest with you, M447's are still the best for scratching - but they hide your heavy-handed flaws. If you try to cut on a cheat belt-driven turntable you will understand what I mean. It just takes more finesse. The Ortofons do not reward aggressive movement, they reward a light touch. Don't let the extra weight fool you.

How long have you had these for? They take a long time to break in IMO.

Slightly off topic but I love not worrying about skipping or needle / cartridge bullshit after going Rane Twelve.

Did you purchase the mahagoni-edition or the gold-plated one?

• 2 weeks later...

I've not had them long at all.

I'll give them some time to break in on a groove and see whats what.

Cheers

Well, maxed out the weights and left them on and in the groove overnight for three nights. There is a bit of an improvement but not much.

I've been online to see what I'm doing wrong with the set up but cant seem to find out what the issue is. The pair I have just seem to skip a lot because of the excess lateral movement.

Anyone able to recommend good alternatives?

• 1 month later...

I've not had them long at all.

I'll give them some time to break in on a groove and see whats what.

Cheers

Well, maxed out the weights and left them on and in the groove overnight for three nights. There is a bit of an improvement but not much.

I've been online to see what I'm doing wrong with the set up but cant seem to find out what the issue is. The pair I have just seem to skip a lot because of the excess lateral movement.

Anyone able to recommend good alternatives?

What's the update on your carts?

Are you cutting on a set of old 1200's?