My needle/tone arm constantly bounces/skips

Super noob issue here.. but....

No matter how many videos I watch to balance the tonearm, get the weight right.. I feel and see the needle bounce.

Am i THAT heavy handed? Are all of my records warped? Is my platter too wobbly?

I suck @ dis.

I assume you've tried changing out the cartridge, needle, etc? I ask because one of my cartridges doesn't move when I cut, but when switch it out with another, it slightly jumps, although doesn't skip.

1 Check the deck is level.

2 Double check your weight and remember that too much weight can make it jump worse (no matter what your brain tells you haha)

3 Check the hole in the vinyl, too big will jump like a prick.

4 etc etc

Record problems are one of the prime causes of this type of thing with new DJs. You want the record to be snug on the spindle with no play. You almost always have to put some paper in there or stickers, or something to take up the slop. Warped records are another one.

I typically put 3.5 grams of weight on a 1200 with shure needles but every once in a while a back the weight off because I record a sample with a better needle and forget to put it back. I'll sometimes scratch for days or weeks before I realize the weight is too light. In other words, you shouldn't be getting THAT much bouncing due to weight on the needle.

Most of my needle jumping/skipping was attributed to my heavy handedness. I'm still fairly heavy handed, but have managed to dial it down enough so that it's not a big deal anymore. Maybe dump a video in this thread of you having a cut with your set up? Might shed some light on the heavy handed thing.

what decks do you use?

This.

Like was said, make sure the record doesn't have a gaping hole and the TTs are level. Also I'd make sure your needles are properly mounted on the headshell using that little "L" shaped tool. And I wouldn't use any of the plates or extra weights on the headshell. I wouldn't use any extra tonearm extenders. If you are using a TTX I'd definitely use the straight arm--the S skips a lot for me so I finally gave up and put on the straight.

If all that is fine then it could be an issue with the tonearm housing gyro thing where it connects to the turntable. I had one get dinged right there when on loan to a friend and it fucked everything up royally.

I'm on a Vestax PDX2000 MK2. Pretty sure I have the record hole filled to where it doesnt move.

I have always wondered if something was up with my platter or the base of my tonearm.

I tend to blame my heavy cheeto hands.

I will try to get a video up to show more detail.

Guest Symatic

I'm on a Vestax PDX2000 MK2. Pretty sure I have the record hole filled to where it doesnt move.

I have always wondered if something was up with my platter or the base of my tonearm.

could be the platter... i think some of the later runs of vestax stuff, with the newer platters (that have vertical markings rather than curved markings) had issues with badly formed platters..... maybe when you film it get a shot of the platter looking at it close up and horizontally so we can see if its bent out of shape as it turns.

other than that, check the arm isnt rattling or wobbling in any weird way it shouldnt... should feel fairly sturdy.