So if you dont like "M$" windows . . . .

2ndhand

XP comes on one bootable CD too. ;)

I know the XP cd is bootable you tit but you can put the Knoppix cd into any pc and you don't need to install fuck all and it boot straight up into linux, when you take the CD out and reboot the computer is back to normal. Rather than it being a linux setup CD it's linux installed on the CD!!!

Fuckit just download it and see, like I said you don't actually install fuck all on the harddrive so what's the harm in trying...

http://www.knoppix.org/

What can it do that XP can't apart from look pretty?

well for a start the multiple desktop thing is pretty handy

the menu system is pretty good too, as are the context menus

i'm only scratching the surface at the moment

dee i think this would be right up your street. get a spare hdd and install it on that.

i'll post the link the ftp page in a sec

myself i am lazy with my OS. i dont customise the desktop, icons, anything really.

i tend to do all my work within GUI's (like dreamweaver, visual studio etc)

but as i have 2 pcs here at work i will give linux a fair go. i need my windows pc to run the aforementioned development environments though. so i am handcuffed to MS.

What can it do that XP can't apart from look pretty?

myself i am lazy with my OS. i dont customise the desktop, icons, anything really.

i tend to do all my work within GUI's (like dreamweaver, visual studio etc)

but as i have 2 pcs here at work i will give linux a fair go. i need my windows pc to run the aforementioned development environments though. so i am handcuffed to MS.

Fuck knows about a dreamweaver alternative but kDevelop is a pretty fooking good alternative to visual studio (from a c++ point of view anyway, dunno what it's like for other languages)!

dee here thes link for the ftp

ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/conectiva/iso/10/

3 isos at about 650 meg each. not a particularly high dl rate either. ho hum.

get the 3 iso's from here. and burn to cd's using nero or something like that.

now this may not be the best linux version, i am a novice, but i know its straightforward to install and get started with.

XP comes on one bootable CD too. ;)

I know the XP cd is bootable you tit but you can put the Knoppix cd into any pc and you don't need to install fuck all and it boot straight up into linux, when you take the CD out and reboot the computer is back to normal. Rather than it being a linux setup CD it's linux installed on the CD!!!

Fuckit just download it and see, like I said you don't actually install fuck all on the harddrive so what's the harm in trying...

http://www.knoppix.org/

FUCK OFF! :p Nah, I'll give it a bash.

Grae - List of virtual desktop programs for XP

theres only so much you can patch onto an existing os before it all get shitty.

hopefully longhorn will have some sort of multiple desktop environment built into the core.

Guest Deeswift

Wicked, thanks for the linkage Grae. I need something simple to start off with, and it looks like this could work for me. I intend to buy another hard drive soon-ish, but I will need a network card or whatever so I can get connected to the net too. As it happens, I haven't had any cash at all since feb 21st, so I can't see this happening anytime soon.

I bookmarked the page anyway, for future.

Multidesk is 89Kb. I don't think it's gonna put too much strain on XP. ;)

I bet Longhorn is bloated to fuck though. Computers get faster and software gets more bloated, but functionality is not proportionally increased.

I'm gonna stick with XP. I liked 95, but it crashed relatively often so I went to 98, which still crashed on occasion. ME was total garbage, so I went back to 98 until XP came out, which I think is superb. It's never crashed and even when something disastrous has happened (power cuts and shit) it always recovers.

the size of the file isn't often proportional to the "strain" it puts on the os.

the principle of multidesktops is very simple. microsoft should have done it a long time ago.

i have used windows 2000 for 5 1/2 years now at work

along with windows 2000 servers / windows 2000 domain controller

it's rock solid.

the best windows installation is windows 2000 upgraded to windows XP.

the size of the file isn't often proportional to the "strain" it puts on the os.

the principle of multidesktops is very simple. microsoft should have done it a long time ago.

What's that app gonna do? The last straw that broke the camel's back? I doubt it. You run it like any other program - turn it on and off at will. If the next Windows comes with it, how is that a lot different from downloading a program that adds that functionality to the current version, apart from you probably won't be able to uninstall it?

i will give it a try and let you know

I bet after all this it's fucking wank. lol.

its actually pretty good!!!

i will run this for a while. see if it goes bananas

basically it manages your taskbar.

only of use if you have a bunch of windows open.

i often end up with 15+ windows on the go. just folders, progs, things i am doing, office docs, loads of notepad docs etc

lol probably as i am typing this (on my linux ws) that prog is formatting the domain controller . . . .