So if you dont like "M$" windows . . . .

2ndhand

about 5 years ago i had a bash with linux. redhat linux 7. pretty manky to say the least.

after a heated discussion yesterday with my boss telling me how SHIT windows was i thought i would give linux a try again and prove him wrong

i am struggling here

i have contectiva 10 Linux, running KDE 3.2.3 and its pretty fucking smart.

the browser i am in (right now!) is "Mozilla".

i am running this distrubution of linux on a p3 700, with 128 meg of memory. could use more memory i reckon.

i am a linux novice, but i have managed to hook this workstation onto our windows 2000 domain, and thus to the net. so i am set!

graphically kde 3.2.3 is superb. everything is soft. the icons make windows icons look like they were done on an etch a sketch

i dont know yet

but my installation spanned 3 cd's, and i selected all options

as the 800+ applications were installing, i noticed a program called "run windows programs"

if it can do that . . . . well . . . .

the whole operating system i have installed is free

aside from finding stuff that works with linux (then getting it to work :@ )

its pretty good

i wish windows looked like this

Guest Deeswift

There's only one or two reasons why I can't use Linux -- my modem drivers won't run under anything but Windows being the important one

:@

If they did, I'd be on it.

Guest Deeswift

Right, I have no idea about ethernet, networks, NIC cards, NAC cards, NECK cards, NUCKA cards, playing cards, routers, or giraffes or terrapins.

You tell me man, fuck knows.

ok mate

with your modem did you get another wire, that has plastic clips on the end (a bit like a phone wire but with a different plug)

i reckon you would have done.

have you got a network card in your pc? or on board lan?

if you have, plug the cable from the onboard lan to the modem

take off and discard the usb cable.

get a command prompt (type command at the command line)

enter ipconfig /release (this removes your ip address)

enter ipconfig /renew (this get the ip address from the modem)

that will get the internet connection going (windows may even do it automatically)

make sure on the settings for your network card, its set to "get ip address automatically" (or however it puts it)

anyway you can do all that, then when you install linux (if you use the version i did) the internet is just connected, through the network card. job done

Right, I have no idea about ethernet, networks, NIC cards, NAC cards, NECK cards, NUCKA cards, playing cards, routers, or giraffes or terrapins.

You tell me man, fuck knows.

Fuck man, you need to learn you shit, a little bit of terrapin knowledge goes a long way!

Also if anyone doesn't know and wants to know there a linux distro call the Agnula project which is a distro packaged up & configure specifically for people who want to use linux for audio/production type shit. Again I've never used it so fuck knows if it's any good but for anyone wanting to give it a go...

http://www.agnula.org/

Linux is more bloated than XP. I dunno why anyone would want to use it unless spyware and viruses are a real issue. Most people get their software off the net too and most of it is for Windows. Even emulating Windows in Lunix is not as good as Windows itself.

Linux is more bloated than XP.

That's bollox mate. Linux can be more bloated if you want to install everything under the sun provided with a given distro most of which you will never use. You can fit a functioning linux system on a single floppy disk and a fully function one with a recent version of KDE or Gnome plus a whole host of usefull apps on a single CD, check out a distro call Knopix, it an entire installation on a single bootable CD.

http://www.knoppix.org/

XP comes on one bootable CD too. ;)

Nah, seriously though. I just can't be arsed with it. I don't see the point because XP does everything I need it to do and it does it well. A lot of the software I use probably wouldn't run on it anyway.

Even emulating Windows in Lunix is not as good as Windows itself.

you should have a look at kde 3.2.3. its pretty impressive. ooozing with functionality (and sadly a load of commands / jargon i am not familiar with) but nicer than xp. it pains me to say. after all these years of saying ms was the best :@

as for why people should use it over windows? i dont know. just with the anti microsoft stuff, and stripping windows down and all that i figured some people must want something else.

so i have shown that you can download a full ready to use OS for free.

install it and be on the net looking for help withIN 2 hours.

the distribution i got is one bootable cd too.

the other 2 i also downloaded were 800 baffling apps with odd names volumes 1 and 2

the installation isnt as idiot proof as windows though

Guest Deeswift

Sounds great to me. You know I don't like M$ much, though. I think I might head down the Linux route sometime this year anyway. If I don't like it, I can switch back. Everyone I know who uses Linux hasn't wanted to switch back, come to think of it. I do admit though, that I have tried to install Linux once before, I can't remember which distro, but it just wouldn't run at all. Maybe I should try what you are using.