[POLL] SHOULD WE HAVE AN ART SECTION?

Guest Deeswift

Guest Deeswift

Muhahahaha...

Dude, I have listened to the Zap man since '89. I was putting off collecting it because I knew what a task it'd be to collect 74 official releases, and then hundreds upon hundreds of bootlegs, then there's lots of miscellaneous stuff, and there's live shows that didn't get released as bootlegs but are all out there waiting to be collected. Did I mention all the movies? You could fill a couple of terrabyte drives with FZ, and you still probably wouldn't have collected it all.

Why am I even doing it? I dunno, but I am glad I started. Resistance is futile.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, when you have a little bit and you hear how different everything is from eachother, it's impossible not to overwhelmingly curious about what the other stuff's like. It's very satisfying.

This has been a great year for music for me. Zappa, Busdriver and Venetian Snares have all been deeply satisfying avenues of investigation.

Music is Teh Most!

Guest Deeswift

Spot on mate. The thing I like most about FZ: no one can catagorize what he did, it's 100% unique. From the jazz rock sounds of Hot Rats, Waka-Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo (one of my favourite albums of all time!), to full blown orchestral music such as The Yellow Shark (awesome) played by a huge orchestra, to something like Jazz From Hell (all made on Synclavier... check G-Spot Tornado... WOW!) and everything in between. Has there ever been another artist like this? I can't think of one.

Also, I started out hating certain tracks, but they have taken 15 years to grow on me. Weird as fuck.

This thread is so off point. It doesn't matter though, the thread would have just died off anyway because the art section is now in place.

What I like about him is that he has all that stuff, but with phat tunes, humour & a complete lack of compromise or pretentiousness. Just amazing.

You're spot on about him being the most switched on guy. Just intelligent, clear choices underpin everything he does, he doesn't go with recieved wisdom about anything. I'd say that might even be rarer in music than in politics.