"Always use the selected program.."

Guest Deeswift

Guest Deeswift

I have a problem: "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is greyed out. Any ideas why?

The file I was trying to open was a .avi (with Media Player Classic, rather than WMP). The option is greyed out for all extensions though.

Have you tried it via Windows Explorer? Tools - Folder Options - File Types. See if it's greyed out there too (if that's not what you're already talking about).

You could also try clicking View - Options - Formats in WMP Classic and selecting avi files to be associated with it. You'll also need to change the associations in regular WMP so it's not associated with avi files.

Guest Deeswift

Yeah sure, but for most other files I can't associate them with any program. Fuck it, I'll reformat soon enough anyway. I do it every few months anyway.

Guest Deeswift

Something definately seems wrong. I don't have the option to hide folders now, well certain ones I can, but most of them I can't.

post-5-1112574052.gif

post-5-1112574068.gif

Guest Deeswift

Yep. Thanks again mate. I tried searching Google a few days ago and also found nothing that nailed the problem. Never mind. I just need to throw everything important onto another drive and reformat. It's gonna be a lot quicker than searching for an explanation, me thinks.

Back soon.

One thing maybe.......Is there an option to set your hard disc as removeable, rather than fixed? There used to be in the Device Manager on Windows 9x and if it was mistakenly set to removeable, you would lose a few options similar to the ones you've lost. I'm clutching at straws, but if you know where that option is, it might be worth a look.

Try starting the Logical Disk Manager service too just to see if it makes any difference.

Guest Mike Reezy

I can right click any file and in the properties, it has an "open with" button, funny mine is exact opposite of yours, its greyed out still, but its checked, so I cant make it not open all of one file type with a certain program.

^^ that was confusing .. cant not- cannot not...hmm

Guest Deeswift

OK, I reformatted. It was quicker than pissing about looking for a fix. I'll grab your vid later Mikey boy. What's it all about anyway?

Guest Mike Reezy
OK, I reformatted. It was quicker than pissing about looking for a fix. I'll grab your vid later Mikey boy. What's it all about anyway?

nothing I just decided to advertise in the accidental double post thats going to be deleted anywyas

Guest Deeswift

Nah, definately not mate. I just used my nLited disc again and it's perfect, no errors or anything. I can't pin down what the problem was at all.