What games are you guys playing at the moment?

Steve

2 hours ago, djdiggla said:

@Steve have you ever looked at those Steam Deck systems? Thinking about getting one.

Yeah. I've not seen one IRL, but I've watched a few videos about it. It looks great, plus as well as modern games, you can run a shit load of emulators on it. Check the video in this thread out: -

https://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/42365-emudeck-20-on-the-steam-deck/#comment-449422

• Like 1

I've been playing Resident Evil Village, which I bought ages ago but only just got around to playing.

It's superb IMO. The graphics are excellent on the Xbox Series X - one of the best looking games I've played. The voice acting and story are great, and the game often has a tense, unnerving atmosphere, as you'd expect from a survival horror game, plus there are some jump scares too of course.

The gameplay is the classic RE mix of exploration, puzzle solving, combat, and inventory management. There's a crafting system, so you can craft ammo and health potions. Weapons have unlockable upgrades. There's a merchant who sells weapons, upgrades, and resources.

It's definitely worth a look if you like horror games, particularly if you have a PS5, Series X, or high end PC, as it looks amazing on powerful hardware. Oh, and it's really polished too.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried playing Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, which is a martial arts-based action/adventure game from Team Ninja, creator of the Ninja Gaiden games.

Before I played it, I checked out the user reviews and 46% of them gave it 1 star for being too hard. It is one of those "Souls-like" games where you can be killed in 1 hit and timing is key. Many of the low reviews were from people who couldn't even get past the first mini-boss you encounter only about 5 minutes into the game. Well..... I couldn't get past it either, lol. I'm too old for this kind of thing. I just don't have the reactions required to do well at games like this.

I also don't have the patience of someone like this: -

3DcYaa0.jpg

I'm glad it's part of Game Pass so I could at least try it without buying it, but I'm just not into games that are brutally difficult, with no difficulty options. I know some people would just say "git gud" and yeah, if I repeated the same shit over and over I'd eventually get OK at it I'm sure, but I just don't find it fun.

If you like difficult games like Ninja Gaiden, Elden Ring, and Dark Souls, you will likely love this, but nah, it's not for me.

I've been playing KartRider: Drift, which is a free to play racing game that's essentially a Mario Kart clone.

You can play it against AI, against a mix of AI and real people, or just against real people. It features cross-play, so you can group up with friends on other platforms. There are different modes that can be played in single player, duos, or teams of 4.

Aside from the various racing modes, there's a license mode where you have to complete different challenges in order to obtain licenses. Each challenge can earn you 1-3 stars depending on how well you do, and earning stars unlocks in-game rewards. The challenges also help you refine your skills for when you're playing the main racing modes.

It plays a lot like Mario Kart. If you drift round a corner, as you come out of the drift you get a speed boost. In "Item Mode" there are items you can pick up, which give you things like speed boosts, rockets to fire at other racers etc., and you can hold up to 2 items at once. Some items are defensive, so using them well really makes a big difference.

The game has a battle pass which you can buy. There's a lot of different karts and characters, all of which can be customised.

It's not as good as Mario Kart (no kart racer is IMO), but it's still a fun game and it's F2P, so you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

On 2/10/2023 at 4:03 PM, djdiggla said:

@Steve have you ever looked at those Steam Deck systems? Thinking about getting one.

All versions of the Steam Deck are currently 10% off in the Steam sale, which ends on March 23rd. Just a heads up in case you're still thinking of getting one.

I just completed Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. It originally came out in 2010 and the Xbox 360 version is backwards compatible, so I played through it on my Series X.

It's an action/adventure game, with a heavy focus on platforming with some puzzles mixed in here and there. It has some interesting mechanics, such as the abilities to freeze and rewind time.

I really enjoyed it, although there was a major difficulty spike near the end that took me forever to get past. My only other criticism is that you become too powerful, for example, there's a certain weapon you get that is ridiculously OP and can 1 hit most enemies, plus you can get an ability that gives you temporary armour that makes you invulnerable and once you've levelled that up to the max, it makes the boss fights really easy.

If you like single player action/adventure games, I'd definitely recommend giving this a go. It goes on sale super cheap from time to time.

I just downloaded some of these Netflix games. I didn't even know they were putting out games. 

Yesterday, Netflix announced plans to nearly double the number of games available on its app by the end of this year. This includes new additions like the Monument Valley franchise, and an Ubisoft sequel to The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot.

🎮📱 Background: Netflix launched its games service as a free add-on for all subscribers in November 2021. The company has released 55 titles since then, with an additional 40 planned for this year – and 86 others currently in development. Many are based on hit Netflix shows, like Stranger Things, Too Hot to Handle, and Narcos, while others are original works.

Right now, all Netflix games are mobile-only and have to be downloaded via the App Store or Google Play Store – though unlike most other mobile games, there aren’t any ads or in-app purchases.

• The streaming giant is also working on a cloud gaming service that would eventually allow Netflix games to be played on TVs and PCs.

📸 Big picture: If Netflix is putting on The Hunger (for) Games, its subscribers would be like the residents of District 12 – having none of it. 99% of all Netflix subscribers have never tried any of their games, per an August 2022 analysis by Apptopia. (Though to be fair – with more than 230 million subscribers worldwide, 1% still amounts to ~2.3 million gamers.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing Sifu, which is a kung fu-based brawler available on most platforms.

I've never played another game that makes you feel like you're some bad ass in a kung fu movie as much as this one. It has an interesting death mechanic. When you die, you get older, which makes your attacks stronger, but your body weaker, and the rate at which you age increases the more you die, until you reach 70, where if you die again, that's it; game over.

There are unlocks/upgrades that can carry over into future play-throughs, and the game is not massively long, so it's one of those "rinse and repeat until you get good" games. The regular difficulty level is very hard IMO, but there are easier and even harder difficulty levels to choose from.

Here's a clip of me playing it (badly!), on my very first play through of the first level: -

I think you would like this one, @djdiggla

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing Disney Speedstorm, which is a Mario Kart-style racer set in the Disney universe.

The game is currently in early access for people who paid for a founder's pack, but it will eventually be free to play, supported by micro-transactions.

All of the racers are Disney characters, old and new, and there's a decent selection. The tracks are all themed too, and the music is dubstep/D&B mixes of classic Disney tracks, which works surprisingly well. The game looks really nice and I have not experienced any performance nor online issues. It has cross-platform play, so you can play with/against people on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and PC.

So far, there's only a couple of things I dislike.

Firstly, the game has 3 different in-game currencies, and a whole bunch of different menus to bounce around. For a game aimed at people of all ages, I think they could have streamlined it a fair bit and kept things more simple.

Secondly, there are two competitive modes for racing against other real players - one where everyone's kart/racer is at the same level, and one where all the upgrades you've unlocked/purchased apply, so the latter mode is definitely pay to win, which kinda sucks. If you spend a bunch of money upgrading your racer and kart to the max, you're going to have a huge advantage over other players who haven't, which is just stupid IMO, but at least there is the "regulated" mode where the playing field is level and it's all about skill.

I think this game has a lot of potential and it's the best casual racer I've played in a while, but unless you really love kart racers and/or are a huge Disney fan, I think you're probably better off waiting until the main launch where it'll be free to play.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing Supraland: Six Inches Under.

It's a Metroidvania-type game, where the main gameplay is exploration and environmental puzzle solving. There's a tiny bit of combat, but not much. As you unlock new skills, you can revisit previously visited areas and get to places you couldn't reach before.

I decided to give it a go as it got added to Game Pass and it's very highly rated amongst players. It's really good IMO. If I'd only watched the trailer I don't think I'd have given it a try, but the high praise from players definitely seems deserved, as you get sucked in pretty quickly and it's satisfying when you figure out how to get to a new area.

If you have Game Pass for Xbox or PC, I'd definitely recommend giving it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

i been finally digging my way thru the Uncharted series that sony let you download for free back in 2020.  Im still on the first uncharted. Im enjoying the game.  I almost bought a ps5 over the weekend.  My son asked for one just to play street fighter 6 with his friends.  then we found out they had it on ps4.  my wife convinced me to buy him his own ps4. at first i was against it since i wanted a ps5 anyway. but then she said did i really want him and his brother fondling my ps4.  shes right, i dont want anything bad happening to my console.  and i want to play it when i want and not have to share with them.  seemed silly buying an new ps4 but it was hard finding a cheap used one.  anyway, i'll eventually get a 5. especially since they are not hard to get anymore.  

On 6/6/2023 at 4:37 PM, TBearOne8III said:

i been finally digging my way thru the Uncharted series that sony let you download for free back in 2020.  Im still on the first uncharted. Im enjoying the game. 

The Uncharted series is great IMO. I enjoyed the first game a lot, but there is a pretty decent jump in quality between the first game and the rest of them, so if you like the first one, you will probably love the others.

I've just started The Last Campfire, which is a story-driven environmental puzzle game from Hello Games, who made the Joe Danger games and No Man's Sky. If you like puzzle games, I would highly recommend it. It's available on most platforms and it goes on sale fairly regularly. Right now you can pick it up on Xbox for £2.39, which is a bargain. It's 5-7 hours long, but I think that's about right for this style of game.

i was playing street fighter 6 with my son yesterday.  They have a modern control style and classic. classic being low punch, mid punch, high punch........ the modern is just like 3 buttons. i havent played with the modern yet, but its kind of like cheating.  the 3 buttons are just low action, mid action, and high.  and i think theres a button for special moves.  I start to say, where is the fun in that.  but after playing for about 30 minutes i realized my hands are not what they used to be.  i cant play fighting games like that anymore.  at least not on the console. I can do arcade sticks.  but my hands still hurt, and i only played for 30 minutes. maybe i should have chose the modern control style

• Like 1

I've been playing Puzzle Quest 3, which is a free to play "match 3" puzzle game with RPG elements.

It's a cool game to play while listening to a podcast. The gameplay is simple enough; you move gems/skulls on a grid to try and make lines of 3 or more which trigger attacks against your enemy. There's a bunch of different modes. There's several character classes to choose from with tons of gear to unlock, as well as minions and followers to accumulate who can help you on your quest. You can create or join a guild, where up to 30 people can contribute towards tasks for extra rewards (definitely do that if you give the game a go).

Of course, being F2P it has micro-transactions. Thankfully, you're not forced to spend any real money at any point, but if you do you will progress considerably faster.

It's available on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, iOS, Android, and Windows. No Switch version for some reason.

• 1 month later...

I just finished Figment 2: Creed Valley.

It's an isometric action adventure game with light puzzle elements set in the human mind. It's really creative and features some great original songs/raps. It's not a particularly challenging game and there are no selectable difficulty levels, but it's a lot of fun. It's pretty short at 4-5 hours; I beat it in 2 sittings. Once you've completed it, you can go back and replay levels if you want to mop up any missing achievements/trophies.

It's just been added to Game Pass on Xbox, so if you have that, give it a try! It's also available on PS4, PS5, Switch, and PC, although it supposedly has some performance issues on Switch. On Xbox at least, it's very polished and I didn't notice any performance issues nor bugs.

It's another example of a game I'd likely have never played if it wasn't for Game Pass, but it's a real gem IMO.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:27 PM, TheDJNamedVes said:

Finished the Italy campaign of Company of Heroes 3. 

Ocassionally playing Star Citizen, but a loss of a million aUEC makes me less motivated to play. 

Started playing Crusader Kings 3 again. Without the Tournaments DLC. 

How did you lose 1mill aUEC?   

I just bought Baulders Gate 3 aint played it yet, hope it's as good as the originals were! 

I bought Army of Ruin earlier. It's very similar to Vampire Survivors, but with nicer graphics.

Like VS, there's a ton of stuff to unlock and upgrade, and upgrades to your stats are permanent and carry over to future play-throughs, so over time you get stronger and stronger.

If you played VS and liked it, I'd definitely recommend picking this up. It's a little more expensive than VS at £6/$8, but that's still cheap for the amount of gameplay you'll get out of it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2023 at 8:01 PM, Steve said:

I bought Army of Ruin earlier. It's very similar to Vampire Survivors, but with nicer graphics.

Like VS, there's a ton of stuff to unlock and upgrade, and upgrades to your stats are permanent and carry over to future play-throughs, so over time you get stronger and stronger.

If you played VS and liked it, I'd definitely recommend picking this up. It's a little more expensive than VS at £6/$8, but that's still cheap for the amount of gameplay you'll get out of it.

I got Army of Ruin after you recommended it because it was cheap and I started to get bored with VS. I also got Hall of Torment (also for a few $) because it appears to be a mix of old school Diablo and VS but I haven't played it more than 2 minutes yet 😄

AoR is pretty fun. I beat my first endless run yesterday (by beat, I mean stayed alive for 30 minutes) and it was pretty intense what was going on on the screen by the end... I still have tons of stuff to unlock so that is definitely a good ratio replayability/$

I will focus on a money harvesting build next to unlock as many permanent upgrades as possible.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mfsop said:

This is the only game I play right now:

Is anybody playing Baldur's Gate 3 by the way? Based on the raving reviews, you probably won't visit DV (or do boring adult stuff like laundry and cooking) if you actually play it.

Wanted to tidy the flat at the weekend, did I fuck thanks to BG3! Yep hugely absorbing game, first game in years where I want to play it when I get back from work.

52 minutes ago, Deft said:

Can noobs play BG3 or will I get fucked off with endless complex menus, options and character upgrades that they assume you understand?

Not too bad on that, if you've played RPGs before it's more or less that. You can go deep in to what suits your lead character best (you control a party) or go oooh cool spell. Some people might not like the turned based combat but doesn't take long to get use to.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I've been playing The Crew Motorfest, which is the third in Ubisoft's "The Crew" series of racing games.

It has a 5 hour trial where the only limit is the 5 hours of play time and if you decide to buy the game, your progress will carry over. It also has both cross-platform play and progression.

They have clearly been heavily inspired by the Forza Horizon games, although that's not a bad thing. This game is set in Hawaii and while the map is not gigantic, there is plenty to do. Often, driving around Mexico in Forza Horizon 5 can feel like you're driving around a ghost town, but you never get that feeling with this.

The game is split into themed playlists and there's plenty of variety. Unlike FH5, this isn't just about cars and trucks - although there are tons of cars to buy and customise - as you also get to drive motorbikes, quad bikes, planes, and powerboats.

I don't think cars handle quite as well as in FH5, although admittedly, I've played that WAY more than I have this, but all of the cars I've driven so far in Motorfest feel a little on the twitchy side with some over-steer.

I'm playing on Xbox Series X and performance is excellent. Graphically it looks great too. The soundtrack has been really good so far.

Like FH5, a lot of the game is story-driven and there can be some annoying commentary going on while you're racing, but thankfully they give you a ton of customisation options, including a bunch of different volume sliders, one of which is for that commentary.

If you like open world arcade-style racing games, it's definitely worth a look IMO, especially as you can take advantage of the 5 hour trial to get a good feel for what it's like. It's available now on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Windows, and Amazon Luna.