Gold gear & Skins....

Acts_One

Ok so Pioneer came out with their new mixer and debuted the gold PLX as well as the gold S9. It looked alright. I'm not a gold fan when it comes to gear. Tech 12 GLDLTDs seem to be the unicorn of 1200s are a hefty price on the online market. I'm not a collector so my interest is minimal at best.

Craze posted this a couple weeks ago and when going through the comments I was in awe about the clueless DJ's out there.

hectic1Them golds are so rare ! I just saw a pair of precisions head shells and cartridges go for $800 on eBay . you have the mother load here ! !

I read this and I was like, are you fucking kidding me?!

Then I comment on DJWorx about the gold PLX & S9 combo. Then get a reply from 12inchskinz about how Craze used their skin on his Z2 for his New Slaves routine.

To me, Gold gear is fucking earned. What Craze posted is what being dominant 3 years in a row is like. I was hating on 12inch skinz when they started promoting their gold skins for the 62 and other gear. I don't mind their other products. I even have a silver/black 12inch skin on my 909. But IMO, true gold gear is earned and not purchased, unless you're a collector striving for the GLDLTD 12s.

But in recent years DMC has only been giving out Gold mixers(Rane). I think Pioneer should pony up and do what Technics did and build true Gold TT's for the DMC champion. I feel wanting to having a gold setup, be it a controller or CDJs or Mixer via a skin is weak sauce. It's like, why earn a real trophy when you can just go to the trophy store and buy one? SMH

• Like 3

I'm buying gold so I can pretend I am champion and make turntablist sex faces in front of the mirror.

lol... i was reading your other post on the S9..... wasn't meant as a bash on you or anyone really wanting a gold colorway. It's just historically gold was earned, in the DMC world that is. The S9/gldPLX are gold tones. But a skin where its reflective gold thats an imitation of what is earned is sauce of the weak variety.

I'm actually more peeved about the noobs out there not knowing the work and skill involved in earning the real deal.

I know the history but frankly most djs either don't know or care. I'm not sure DMC has rights over all gold equipment. It probably looks a bit weird for actively competing / recognisable turntablists like Vekked or Jon to rock purchased gold but for your average dj'ing shit muncher I don't seen any harm or misunderstanding. I know there must be huge money / women / drugs to be made from pretending to be a DMC champion.

• Like 1

I was offered one of the gold pioneer mixers but just went for the black partially for this reason.

Damnit Jon! Award yourself a #TooHumble badge right away!

ditto, I'd still feel like a doosh rocking a gold setup... gotta win the big one to earn that privilege

Totally... the gold set up is a bit too ostentatious for my taste anyway.

But yeah, if you won it, more power to you. But if you had your decks pimped to look like a prize, that's kinda weak IMO

Also, the only reason for getting to the top must be the natty embroidered bomber jackets....do they still do those?

It's always been about the jacket for me, ever since the cover for "Where's the Party At?"

ditto, I'd still feel like a doosh rocking a gold setup... gotta win the big one to earn that privilege

Totally... the gold set up is a bit too ostentatious for my taste anyway.

I mean, I say that, but I'd probably love having a gold plated set up.

As the proud owner of the exact same style of Troop leather jacket Eric B wore in press shots, you KNOW I'm all about the jacket

That's so dope, post a pic!

Guest petesasqwax

Ghostface based a song on 'Ironman' on that photo but Epic/Razor Sharp made him change "cock" to "box" *

* BTW - it's a hen, not a cockerel, but I know that shit spoils the joke so I'll make this text extra small