Pioneer tease new battle mixer...?

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

So... I did a demo for Pioneer with the S9 today. Got to play with it 8 hours at an expo.

If you all where wondering if Jon was just lying cause he got one for free he wasn't.

Fader is very nice. It has a the feeling of an innofader with a little edge bounce. The tension control is useless if you are a scratch dj. Set it to loosest and let it be.
Pads are great! Effects are also great! Only used reverb and eco tho... But the effect transform switch is a very good idea.

The thing is that is so easy to understand. After 20 mins I knew everything about it. I love the simplicity of it.
Everything is easy to access.

Cons then:
-The gain knob is small and in the wrong place.
-The software (its in beta still) was very buggy and non responsive. I really hope they have time to fix this cause its almost worse than traktor ;)...
-Reverse buttons are tiny and the front is a little cluttered if you ask me.

-Headphone knobs are too small

Overall I would prefer S9 to the 62 any day.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Guest rasteri

Jon - If you could just tell Pioneer to slap a straight arm on their turntable now?

Delayed reply time! The straight arm from the Stanton STR8 fits the PLX-1000 and you can get spares of them from focusrite for £72.50 inc VAT + £5.00 shipping. There are advantages to having all turntables made by a single company...

What's the deal here. I want to hold it for a few years and then sell it to an even bigger idiot for 10x the amount. Should I open and check it works or leave it sealed like a true collector. MMMMmmm. For all I know, those emission cheating Germans have just sold me a box of sausages.

The gold looks good IMO, sort of a throwback to the 05

To echo Backtrack's comments, it is a nice mixer. I did a one hour showcase on an S9 last week and had one for a day or so to familiarize myself with the layout etc. For me the external tension adjust is actually a big plus. With some juggling routines where you need to leave the fader in the middle for some parts of the pattern, a super loose fader can be a set back. Also the fade adjust on the upfaders is nice too. Plus, I could get used to having eight cure point buttons.

On the down side, I also found the gain/trim was in the wrong place, but then I'm used to the Rane. And as you've all probably heard by now, when the mixer isn't connected to a laptop, the crossfader's cut in isn't great. And the fader caps feel enormous, even thought they're only 1mm bigger.

But overall it's a good mixer and a viable alternative to the Rane. I'm not about to sell the 62 to get one though, especially now I have the Innofader Pro 2 in there.

• 2 weeks later...