When making a song/beat.....

Steve

How do you start? Do you start off with the beat every time, or does it vary? Do you have definite ideas in your head of what you want the track to be like, or do you just try out different ideas to find something that sounds good, or perhaps hearing a certain sample inspires you?

it depends,

alot of times i start from a simple beat, add bass or melody, then leads, etc..

sometimes i find a dope sample i wanna work around and start from there.

and again sometimes i've got a bassline or piano riff in my head i start with.

just depends really, no set way of doing things. keeps the creative juices flowing, but if i find myself jsut wanting to work, i start with the beat.

Guest Deeswift

For me it always varies. If I'm playing guitar, I can sometimes get the seed for a song and it will grow from there, I would write the other parts around a guitar riff or just a few simple chords. Totally depends what instrument I'm playing really. There's no set way I work. I don't often write songs based around turntables. When it comes to recording though, the beats always go down first.

I work with a melody first. Then build it up from there. Most people work from drums up, but I have a weird method.

Milk's way is pretty much how I work most of the time. Melody / chords first.