Numark PT01 Battery Life?

Hey guys,

so in preparation of my Raiden Fader I also purchased a Numark PT 01. I wanted a Handytrax but didn't feel it was worth spending so much more for a little bit better portable turntable.

Anyway, I prepped it yesterday. Removing that felt pad and the double sided tape that was holding it, that was real bitch to remove but I got it all off. I even cut up one of my extra butter rugs and frosted plates to fit as well. I wanted to buy the Thudrumble Shortrugs combo but as most of you know it's not in stock at the moment. I Christened it with some cuts connected to my bedroom PMC05 and it did a really good job at tracking. Just found it slightly jumpy using the baby seal picture disc when using samples that were close (jumping one groove to the other) but I felt it was more of a heavy hand thing or the baby seal is just dirty.

So now onto the battery life. I noticed it took 6 D batteries. I haven't put any in because who the hell has D batteries laying around? When looking up on google I found one post where someone said they got about 40hours on it and still going. I'll probably grab a bunch from work and when I do get my Raiden Fader I'll def. test it out on the road.

That being said, have any of you guys had any experience using this portable and how much power does it suck up? I'm looking to possibly get some good rechargeable D batts like the Eneloops or something similar so I don't have to keep on stealing from work :d

Found these large capacity Tenergy (10,000mAH NiMH) on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-000mAh-Capacity-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001AYIRH8

But $60 seems a bit much.

Thoughts?

Edited by Acts_One

Hey guys,

so in preparation of my Raiden Fader I also purchased a Numark PT 01. I wanted a Handytrax but didn't feel it was worth spending so much more for a little bit better portable turntable.

Anyway, I prepped it yesterday. Removing that felt pad and the double sided tape that was holding it, that was real bitch to remove but I got it all off. I even cut up one of my extra butter rugs and frosted plates to fit as well. I wanted to buy the Thudrumble Shortrugs combo but as most of you know it's not in stock at the moment. I Christened it with some cuts connected to my bedroom PMC05 and it did a really good job at tracking. Just found it slightly jumpy using the baby seal picture disc when using samples that were close (jumping one groove to the other) but I felt it was more of a heavy hand thing or the baby seal is just dirty.

So now onto the battery life. I noticed it took 6 D batteries. I haven't put any in because who the hell has D batteries laying around? When looking up on google I found one post where someone said they got about 40hours on it and still going. I'll probably grab a bunch from work and when I do get my Raiden Fader I'll def. test it out on the road.

That being said, have any of you guys had any experience using this portable and how much power does it suck up? I'm looking to possibly get some good rechargeable D batts like the Eneloops or something similar so I don't have to keep on stealing from work :d

Found these large capacity Tenergy (10,000mAH NiMH) on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-000mAh-Capacity-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001AYIRH8

But $60 seems a bit much.

Thoughts?

My experience with the HandyTrax is the batteries last a long time. I found a PT-01 this weekend for $10 on craigslist so have had this same thought as you. I use rechargeable batteries in a lot of things (jammy pack, GPSr, mp3 players, etc) and generally the longevity of charge is noticable lower than regular batteries BUT it is rechargeable. I'd maybe get two sets of a cheaper battery. $60 seems really steep.

Guest Symatic

so i was inventing an ultimate portable turntable in my head the other day.... and one of the things i thought of was to use lithium ion batteries to power the motor because you can get usb chargable ones.

so looking at the type of battery the pt-01 has, could i put one of these in it to replace the 6 Dcell batteries?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BUJCMUQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/279-6956376-3901062?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=1AVK6DHG292KJGZR69KC&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_i=B000WLT74C

maybe rasteri knows?

On a side note, check what i'm gonna try and do with my PT-01... rewire it and put in a transform button (saw someone in town do this). But also add an aux input. And the biggest thing is I'm going to rewire the speaker so the aux and PT-01 audio goes to it so you don't even need a speaker or headphones like with the Raiden. Thought that would be super cool and mega portable self contained way to do it. I saw someone do the transform and Dopez cut on it but they didn't have it wired to the speaker. Hopefully it works... which is why I was trying to find one for less than $30... in case I fuck it up.

Guest rasteri

so i was inventing an ultimate portable turntable in my head the other day.... and one of the things i thought of was to use lithium ion batteries to power the motor because you can get usb chargable ones.

so looking at the type of battery the pt-01 has, could i put one of these in it to replace the 6 Dcell batteries?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BUJCMUQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/279-6956376-3901062?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=1AVK6DHG292KJGZR69KC&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_i=B000WLT74C

maybe rasteri knows?

It could definitely be MADE to work, but without taking a look at the PT-01 (or a service manual for it) I wouldn't be able to say how easy it's likely to be.

If the PT-01 just took a 12V DC input then it would definitely be possible, but it takes a 12V AC input, so you couldn't power it directly from the Anker battery pack. You could build a circuit to generate an AC signal from that but that would be nontrivial and inefficient.

Another approach would be to wire it into the PT-01's battery terminals. Each D-cell gives off 1.5V so you'd want 1.5x6= 9V. However the fact that it wants AC on the power supply leads me to suspect that they probably operate a dual-power supply, i.e. using half the batteries to generate -4.5v and the other half to generate +4.5v. You could get around this by building a virtual-ground circuit, which wouldn't be hard - see http://tangentsoft.net/elec/vgrounds.html for a better description of this topic.

Any chance of some pics of the inside of the PT-01?

I opened mine up.

Let me know how it goes with the battery. For me, like I said, I plan to install a momentary closed switch button. Likely placing it HERE before the signal hits the board so I can still use the RCA outs or speaker. Then I'm thinking the best way to add an aux input for music is to just solder in a Y onto the speaker itself HERE. I guess it would be nice to add it in where the momentary switch is but my goal is to be able to have a portable deck that plays scratches and aux music from the internal speaker. I figure if I was to want to go to a larger speaker I wouldn't be using the aux in for music anyways. The only issue I see is the headphone would not receive the aux audio.

I might end up adding an actual fader and changing the input but think this will work for now. Probably some of yall think putting a transform button in is dumb over an actual fader. Maybe it is. IDK. But I also hurt my wrist real bad and cant do a fader motion currently anyways so at least for now it seems like a fun idea.

Finally got my Raidenfader on Friday. Wasn't able to hook it up until Saturday morning due to a wedding gig on Friday night. Slept literally for 3 hours and woke up all excited to start skratching.

First impressions.... Feels like a Vestax CF... love it! Cut isn't super duper sharp but sharp enough. Also it feels solid. I hear the Frisk is pretty flimsy compared to this.

As for the PT01 holding up to the scratching. It does the job. Found it a bit sensitive to harder cuts, but I'm thinking it's more a learning thing when it comes to using a smaller setup for scratching. I actually have a dime on the needle/cart for added weight, I think it needs another dime (20cents, we don't have pennys anymore in Canada). I was running if off of the 6 D cell batteries. Ran it for a good 2-3 hours yesterday at the park. I'm not sure what the battery levels are at right now but I'm pretty sure it's fine.

Other than battery life I'm concerned about a couple of things.....

Because the PT01 and Handytrax are belt drives. Wouldn't this mean that the belts will possibly wear out as we are scratching on them?

Can someone please find a way to Frankenstein a M447 on this thing please!!!

But the rest of you guys, please mod this thing.... As nice as the whole setup is right now, there could be some nice mods to it. I like the idea of using the PT01 speaker instead of an external one.

Guest rasteri

I was wrong - you can totally wire one of those battery packs straight in. Set it to 9V, and connect it into the socket marked "battery" on the PCB (red is positive).

Then I'm thinking the best way to add an aux input for music is to just solder in a Y onto the speaker itself HERE.

Don't do this - the higher voltage output of the speaker will blow whatever you plug into the AUX input.

You're going to need to figure out where on the PCB the speaker amplifier is and wire it in before that (perhaps just after the volume control knob), with a couple of resistors in series with it to act as a summing amp.

• Like 1

I was wrong - you can totally wire one of those battery packs straight in. Set it to 9V, and connect it into the socket marked "battery" on the PCB (red is positive).

Then I'm thinking the best way to add an aux input for music is to just solder in a Y onto the speaker itself HERE.

Don't do this - the higher voltage output of the speaker will blow whatever you plug into the AUX input.

You're going to need to figure out where on the PCB the speaker amplifier is and wire it in before that (perhaps just after the volume control knob), with a couple of resistors in series with it to act as a summing amp.

Fuck. That sucks. Glad you showed up before I did it! What about the transform button. I can't find a double pole single throw mementary switch online or at any of the locale electronics shops. Can I combine the L and R channels onto a single pole then split it again after the switch so it goes back to the L/R feed on the board? Obviously it will be mono signal but I'm at a loss on how to do it otherwise.

Likewise, could I wire in the AUX input after the switch but before the board? Would I still need to have the resisters?

Guest rasteri

Fuck. That sucks. Glad you showed up before I did it! What about the transform button. I can't find a double pole single throw mementary switch online or at any of the locale electronics shops. Can I combine the L and R channels onto a single pole then split it again after the switch so it goes back to the L/R feed on the board? Obviously it will be mono signal but I'm at a loss on how to do it otherwise.

You should be able to find a DPDT switch but only use a single throw (DPST switches are less common than DPDT switches). Where are you looking online? Mouser/digikey/farnell all have a lot of different choices (but you'd probably have to buy a few to know which one would have the right "feel").

Likewise, could I wire in the AUX input after the switch but before the board? Would I still need to have the resisters?

Unfortunately not - this part of the circuit is before the phono preamp, so the signal from the AUX would be amplified too much (causing clipping) and have an RIAA curve applied (causing it to sound far too bassy).

Probably the best place to patch into the signal would be just before or just after the volume knob, since this would (probably) be after the phono preamp but before the speaker power amp.

And yes, whenever you're passively mixing two signals together you need resistors. You can't just connect two audio sources together and expect that to mix the signal - it will sound like shit in the best case scenario and damage your equipment in the worst case. Rane has an excellent note on this - http://www.rane.com/note109.html- basically you want a 470ohm resistor in series with each signal source, then when combined you want a 10K resistor to ground.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

diggla check this tutorial i made for myself on how to put a fader in the numar... basically doing it as you say. rasteri might see it and say it is totally f'd in the h, nut it worked for me.... who knows maybe i was dicing with death the whole time, maybe it was totally electronically sound.....

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=29765&hl=numark

• Like 2

Guest rasteri

diggla check this tutorial i made for myself on how to put a fader in the numar... basically doing it as you say. rasteri might see it and say it is totally f'd in the h, nut it worked for me.... who knows maybe i was dicing with death the whole time, maybe it was totally electronically sound.....

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=29765&hl=numark

Yeah that looks like a much better approach. Does your mod work with the built-in speaker?

Guest Symatic

yeah it was totally built in, that ribbon cable is before the amp i think... i did also want to put a line in to it but never bothered.

the frisk fader was a better solution and having it removable is actually better, as some 12" records would scrape on my modded build in fader....

also the speaker is shit so i figured i would be better off doing a minirig type solution....

i can't find the link but Kratz showed me one where this german dude had modded it right up, including replacing the speaker with a more powerful one, and then adding some sort of insulation to stop it feeding back through the stylus.....

Guest rasteri

Fuck it I think I'm just going to buy one of these things. There's a lot I want to try, I'm getting modder blueballs having to talk other people through this, haha.

I reckon it'd be very possible to put an innofader pro in it, amongst other things.

Also I found an interesting video on the different types of styluses available for it (I presume the PT-01 comes with the metal cantilever version?) :

Also, anyone got a PT-01 for sale?

Guest rasteri

So I bought a PT-01. I'm going to take it fully apart and draw up a rough schematic of the audio and power supply sections of the device so we can plan cooler mods

Plans :

1. Put a 793-D7M needle on it (like the stock ones but have a metal cantilever) - http://www.turntableneedles.com/402-M208-165-LP-Stylus-for-Nostalgic-Record-Players--Needle-793-D7M_p_1529.html
  2. Install a decent fader (perhaps a vestax PCV, or an innofader - fuck that raiden/frisk shite) and get the curve properly sharp/pop-free.
  3. Ultrapitch!
  4. Find some decent 7" skipless records
  • Like 1