Instrumental hip-hop in the vein of RJD2/Jel?

Vekked

Looking for some more recommendations for music like these guys. I like that complex standalone instrumental hip-hop style, with a bit heavier breaks and such. I guess they come from the school of DJ Shadow. I could never fully get into the Dilla/FlyLo style of instrumental hip-hop, idk why. Open to pretty much anything tho.

Guest petesasqwax

Express Rising
Sixtoo
DJ Signify
Elektro4
Buddy Peace
Carlo
Mat Young
Meaty Ogre
Maker
Joey Beats
MHE
MRR-ADM
Mumbles
Molasses
Dday-One
Glen Porter
2econd Class Citizen
Aupheus
Theory77
LOADS

• Like 9

Guest rasteri

Can't really add much to that list. I suppose some of Bonobo, Quantic and Afterlife's stuff qualifies but they all venture into distinctly non-hiphop areas

I was about to post but then thought "Nah, Pete will probably just come online later and post way more than I could ever think of" :)

Some other artists / labels:

http://www.hhv.de/shop/de/artikel/equinox-presents-one-year-und-a-day-a-sound-exposure-volume-2-129051(Great compilation with lots of good artists)

Blockhead

Cradle

Jazz Liberatorz

Dabrye

Boozoo Bajou and other K7 guys - maybe too much Pop appeal

Melting Pot Music has some good instrumental albums (like the 'Hi Hat Club' series)

Then all that Ninja-esque stuff that's not always sampled but made to sound as if it was (Xploding Plastix, Emancipator, Blue Sky Black Death...)

• Like 1

Oh yeah, and like mfsop said, the Ninjatune stuff. Wagon Christ comes to mind (Luke Vibert). And definitely Alias (not Ricci). Alias is probably my favorite or 2nd producer. Dude is dope.

Ursula 1000, too.

Damn, good thread. I love instrumental hiphop. Surprisingly, there's a bunch of it in Dallas.

Guest petesasqwax

Is there subgenre/descriptors for such style of music?

loosely, but people tend to more generally group artists together under broad label headings.

Guys like Sixtoo, Signify, Elektro4, P-Love, Joey Beats etc. - they're often associated with Bully Records (which was a label run by a good friend of mine, Marco, out of Canada some years ago).

Maker, Meaty Ogre, DJ Om, Dreas etc. worked a lot with Heardrums and lately Fieldwerk

Mumbles, 2econd Class Citizen, Glen Porter etc. work with DdayOne's Content Label

and so on

The main differences are the likes of MRR-ADM who are more psych/funk related and more akin to the likes of (Mr) Chop, Heliocentrics, Natural Yogurt Band, Whitefield Brothers who are, or have been, all on Now Again, as it goes. Cherrystones is arguably connected to them, too, though he's never done anything on Now Again.

Guest petesasqwax

both are with the Hobos, man. Marcus B probably had some other shit going on in Seattle too, but he's definitely one of the original Hobos members

both are with the Hobos, man. Marcus B probably had some other shit going on in Seattle too, but he's definitely one of the original Hobos members

Crazy. I never knew that. Makes sense based on the style of mix tapes though. Those dudes made the illest mixtapes.

Guest petesasqwax

Those dudes made the illest mixtapes.

Agreed - Hobos mixtapes and productions are what made me want to start making my own shit in the first place - Dibbs & Signify especially. I used to tell anyone who would listen that Signify's Mixed Messages was as much an album as it was a mixtape and that anyone who was into Shadow should be massively into him too. Never worked. The trendy music press never stuck Signify on the cover of their magazines so I guess they didn't know it was OK to like him...

• Like 1

Those dudes made the illest mixtapes.

Agreed - Hobos mixtapes and productions are what made me want to start making my own shit in the first place - Dibbs & Signify especially. I used to tell anyone who would listen that Signify's Mixed Messages was as much an album as it was a mixtape and that anyone who was into Shadow should be massively into him too. Never worked. The trendy music press never stuck Signify on the cover of their magazines so I guess they didn't know it was OK to like him...

Check this out, nobody knows about this dude but he made one of my favorite mixtapes ever. Yoga jerked him around for a while telling him he was going to put him out on Dirtstyle but never did. It predates Sketchbook and Phantazmagoria.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83370632/Dj%20Manifest%20-%20Sonic%20Abstraction.rar

Guest petesasqwax

Dope! thanks a load, man - I'm grabbing it now, although my connection is being stupidly slow for some reason. I always really rated the stuff my friend Greg - Fuse One - did. He sent me a couple of unreleased things a while back that were incredible but I lost them when my data drive died. They should be backed up somewhere though, but I should poke him with a sharp stick or something until he releases them properly

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

sixtoo is one hell of a shout, and for some slightly slower, more sombre stuff id recommend his collab with the canadian Stigg of the Dump under the name villain accelerate, postcards and things told especially stand out but all of it is sick.

• Like 1

all the stuff Pete said. Those were all my jams when Button Basher and I were making bits influenced by heavy drum breaks, moody samples etc. Bully Records in particular.

Do you know Egadz, Jake?

Regarding names - I saw people calling it post-Shadow for a little bit on forums, but i think moody instrumental hiphop is a good shout. It's all 'beats' at the end of the day too.

Guest petesasqwax

sixtoo is one hell of a shout, and for some slightly slower, more sombre stuff id recommend his collab with the canadian Stigg of the Dump under the name villain accelerate, postcards and things told especially stand out but all of it is sick.

Villain Accelerate is all kinds of good. Bit gutting that Stigg seems to have done nothing else since. The Holmes, P-Love, on guest cuts here and there too