Jon1st - Sam Binga & Deft Routine

Jon

Easy all, here's the first of two new routines I've put together over the past month. It's not meant to be all out tech, more something for the clubs, but hopefully you'll enjoy it? On a techy note though, until this point I've never tried juggling drums under a melody playing on the SP6 (triggered from the mixer) before, so that was a first for me :)

Hope you're all spiffing

Big luvs

Jonwurst

• Like 7

Well I'm a massive fan of Sam binga so I think this is one of the dopest hook ups at the moment, plus critical records are doping all the dope stuff atm !! Fucking dope to have scratching represented in that scene. Lots of nice bits in the routine itself and the vid quality is amazing. Too beaucoup !!

If anyone's wondering how I'm doing the juggley bit : I'm cueing the acapella on the sp6 (Serato's built in sampler for one shots/loops - a potential third deck essentially on the 62) off the sp6 buttons on the 62 then have the drums on the decks, then the left deck drops back into the full tune and I switch back to the mixer's cue buttons to trigger the pads that I cut up :)

^^^ that's exactly what I guessed it was ;)

Huge respect as ever Jon. As I was saying only yesterday, you've got that thing going on where wether you are cutting, doing routines or selecting music you always sound like you. You've got your own recognisable (but not easily definable) sound. Something that many great technicians may never achieve. It's like when you hear a Mixmaster Mike routine or mix or whatever, as soon as you hear it, it all sounds like him (even it you already know the tracks, etc). In fact, although you sound nothing like each other, MMM is a prime example of what I'm getting at - not only does having your own unique and recognisable style make you stand out, it makes comparisons of who's best seem a bit pointless... I was watching your Vadim routine again the other day and it's a prime example - it's so well composed and executed and just sounds so damn good musically confident that comparisons to other DJs routines seem almost petty and childish.

As per Myka 9's definition, you Jon, are 'an entity'.

• Like 1

^^^ that's exactly what I guessed it was ;)

Huge respect as ever Jon. As I was saying only yesterday, you've got that thing going on where wether you are cutting, doing routines or selecting music you always sound like you. You've got your own recognisable (but not easily definable) sound. Something that many great technicians may never achieve. It's like when you hear a Mixmaster Mike routine or mix or whatever, as soon as you hear it, it all sounds like him (even it you already know the tracks, etc). In fact, although you sound nothing like each other, MMM is a prime example of what I'm getting at - not only does having your own unique and recognisable style make you stand out, it makes comparisons of who's best seem a bit pointless... I was watching your Vadim routine again the other day and it's a prime example - it's so well composed and executed and just sounds so damn good musically confident that comparisons to other DJs routines seem almost petty and childish.

As per Myka 9's definition, you Jon, are 'an entity'.

Aww cheers dude, I don't know if I'd agree with that but I appreciate that a lot :) I want to tech up a lot more, having a cut with some friends at the weekend made me feel so shit at cutting but super inspired at the same time to dedicate more time to it :)

I'm never saying don't keep learning and honing the skills you use, more is always useful.

If anything, I'd say you done the hard bit now in finding and defining your own sound, continually enhancing it with technical progression is just legwork and you've got a great work ethic, so that won't be a problem.