HAK 360 - Any way to bypass the transform switches?

mfsop

I broke off one of the transform switches on my HAK (not the phono/line switch) and tried to glue it back on but I guess that some glue got into the electronics so now it's totally unreliable. Sometimes it works for weeks, then I can't get any sound out of the channel, sometimes it's very quiet.

Just removing it, doesn't do the trick, so my zero electronics knowledge won't help me any further. Any advice besides staying away from any devices more complicated than rocks and sticks?

My Mackie D2 I used to have, had a lot of issues that were caused by the line switches (that were only actually transform switches because there were proper input select switches further up the mixer). The solution there was to take out the switch and turn it over so you can see a row of four pins soldered to its little circuit board and solder a wire across the two pins furthest apart - this removed the switches from the equation and solved (nearly) all the mixer's problems. Not sure if this translates to an Ecler, but maybe?

• Like 1

It's probably just a matter of bridging the points in the board the switch connects with pieces of wire. You could test it with the other switch and a multimeter in diode mode, touch 2 solder points of the switch, and if there's continuity the multimeter should show a value below 1. Press the switch while touching both points, and if the multimeter value jumps to 1 those are the points the switch is breaking. Solder a piede of wire between those 2 points on the non working transform switch side. I'd recommend removing the switch first, but it should work with the switch on too.

Edited by Unit27
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot, guys! Kind of embarrasing, but this time it wasn't the transform switch but the turntable's output. Now after some cleaning and screw tightening, it seems okay again. My whole equipment really is a mess, so thanks again. I'll certainly use your advice next time the switches start acting up (probably in a few weeks...). :)