pros and cons of scratching

Solemn

cons:

- it sounds much better in the head (or say, the 'inner ear') than it does in reality

- the way it's done is incredibly fiddly, even after many years of practice

- most of the time it feels like you're doing it wrong, as if there was some better way but there isn't

pros:

- it's the only thing i can think of i get much better at after a few beers

sorry, i'm on a bit of a loose end today.

• Like 1

I think the main con is that largely, only other people that scratch appreciate it. It's not like the guitar, for example, where if you post a video of a really skilled guitar player, pretty much everyone will be able to appreciate the skill, even if they don't enjoy it. It seems like it takes a decent understanding of it before it can be appreciated.

I think the main con is that largely, only other people that scratch appreciate it. It's not like the guitar, for example, where if you post a video of a really skilled guitar player, pretty much everyone will be able to appreciate the skill, even if they don't enjoy it. It seems like it takes a decent understanding of it before it can be appreciated.

or it just needs to be visually appealing and people will like it, regardless of the level of skill

Totally.

Cons:

Nobody but scratch nerds like it

It's amazingly frustrating and I suck

Real life exists

Pros:

It's fun

I've done it too long to quit now

The interwebs

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Pro- I love the shit out of it and find it very meditative and relaxing.

Got to know some great guys, like the SSS mob and everyone on here.

My hands can do crazy stuff i never would have thought was possiible.

It's a brilliant and unique instrument the has seemingly endless possibilities for me to explore

Con- My body never seems to hold up enough to daily practice that is long enough to ever get really good, plus i don't have the time, what with work and that

Most peeps don't like and/or don't know about it.

I have the world's worst scratch face and it really puts me off when i notice people yucking it up at it even though i'm aware it's super funny. I find it hard to concentrate or relax properly for ages after i notice. I'M JUST FEELING IT DUDES! LULZ

Po faced twatty musos (even quite accomplished ones) who look down on it or don't consider it an instrument, generally due to their huge ignorance of the history of music and lack of thought about the nature of music itself.

Pro: fun fun fun

if it's not fun your not doing it right.

con: people who are better than me. Mix Master mike mainly, i'll let Q bert off. Raising the bar so high that you know in your heart of heart you'll never be that good.

Pro:

I've met some of my best mates because of scratching.

It's relaxing and practice can help take your mind off stuff.

it's very niche

Cons:

If I had invested the time into music production, there may have been more opportunities to gig, perform, make money etc.

Because people are so spread out, I've not always been lucky enough to have local people to practice with, and when I have met people, some never came back :(

It's very niche

Pros:

Handling records provides you with the skill set needed for a fascinating future career like flipping pizza dough and removing dust from small metal objects.

You learn a lot about exciting materials like felt, credit cards and thin sheets of plastic.

Moving the record backwards is as close as you can get to time travelling. Who's fucking with that?

You can become a famous sex symbol that sells out stadiums while appealing to the hardcore classical musicians.

Your brain will be full of important information like the number of hidden buttons in hundreds of loopers and parts in Rap songs that don't have any beat playing in the background.

Cons:

You develop a harmonic understanding that far surpasses the boring semi-tone system causing you to despise the primitive melodies of a piano or fretted string instrument.

Your judgement of what is a pro and what a con is hardly traceable for anyone who's not scratching, making you appear like a complete nut case.

You will join Digital Vertigo at some point in time.

It's not too late for you Dopez, you're still young enough to learn guitar, join a rock band and nail groupies.

That's very true. Or at least get away from this hiphop nonsense and become a tek-house or trance DJ

Cons:

You will join Digital Vertigo at some point in time.

The joining isn't as bad as posting, oversharing, friend making, asking and/or for advice. That's the sadest Con of all.

PROs : Endless possiblity and no-rules. I like that I can manipulate any sound and that freestlye is the main expression of the music, i.e. i'm not stuck with a specific sound of one instrument and then whipped to perfectly recerate someone elses work by following a score i.e. I hate reading music and i dont get much thrill from playing others songs

CONS : Takes a lot of dedication to persue something without the validation of it being "right"

Guest Symatic

Pros: no set of rules, simple concept achievable by most people, underground creative scene of people with a diy mentality, inspires digging and understanding

Cons: perception as a nerd/ elitist thing to do, not much scratch music being released, few dj bands, digital technology providing easy options allows laziness, fundamental technology to do with vinyl and turntable manufacture is getting more expensive

Hardly any of my cons are actually cons, just negative aspects of the scene right now haha

Hardly any of my cons are actually cons, just negative aspects of the scene right now haha

Pros:

-Gave up hours of COD and gaming for hours of Scratch Practice

-a reason to spend an evening with the boys getting blunted and leaving the wife at home with the Kardashians

Cons:

-Hours spent Scratching to only accomplish so little

-Blunted cuts suck after 10mins

• Like 1

Pros:

-a reason to spend an evening with the boys getting blunted and leaving the wife at home with the Kardashians

Cons:

couldn't agree more. Scratching retired me from multiplayer cod; not such a bad thing.

I can scratch for hours after a smoke, once it wear off i just repeat. your not smoking enough, smoke more.

• Like 1

Pros:

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:

couldn't agree more. Scratching retired me from multiplayer cod; not such a bad thing.

I can scratch for hours after a smoke, once it wear off i just repeat. your not smoking enough, smoke more.

Damn this literally describes me. I used to be nasty on Halo 3/COD4 days like I had the sickest BR you'd ever seen :-) Haha nah, but yeah I was really into online multiplayer and when I wanted to quit being the "nerdy kid who plays cod all day" to the "cool dj". Too bad I ended up on the wrong side of things and now I'm just a nerd in another "cooler" regard :-) Still love scratching though