Rane 62 or Alternative?

Chee

Hi all, another old boy here slowly getting back into DJing and turntablism. Been a solid 8 years since I did any major work / practice on scratching, and about 5 years since doing any mixing stuff. I'm very much from the analog era, and the very early days of the digital era. Recently though I've been introduced to the latest in digital DJing, with loops, cues, loop rolls, effects, sync etc, and it got me excited again.

I dusted off my old 1200s, my 07 Pro and my old SL1 box, upgraded to SSL 2.5, bought myself two Dicers and an Akai LPD8 and have been mucking around with a few things. Not sure if I'm just rusty, but it seems like the latency on scratching with SSL 2.5 is worse than the earlier versions? Maybe the software is now trying to do too many things and the SL1 is showing it's limitations?

Anyway, I've had a look at the Rane 62, and it looks like a nice way to really get into the digital DJing side of things, but still keeping my turntablism roots and familarity with a 2 channel battle mixer. I like the look of the multiple MIDI buttons, the on-board effects, the general compactness of it all. However, I'm a bit put off by the price, as I'll only be playing in my bedroom. As I mentioned above I do have the Dicers and the LPD8, but I find the LPD8 a bit clunky to run all the effects (eg it's not easy to switch from the Super Knob FX mode to the Ultra Knob FX mode). Also I like the idea of post-fader FX on the 62, which I can't get with my current set-up.

Lastly, I'm thinking I need to upgrade to SDJ (Slip mode looks like fun). So, should I just stump up and get the 62, or is there an alternative set-up that you guys might recommend (eg SL2 box, another mixer, plus another MIDI controller). Thanks!

Tbh if the 62 is a legit consideration, get it. It's the best 2-channel mixer without question. Yes it's expensive, but it's super sick, and nothing else reeeally compares to it. It's really user friendly, build quality's great, sound quality's great. I think the only potential alternative mixer is the Z2 just because it's a Traktor mixer and has nice pads, but I don't think it's really a true competitor to the 62 aside from a $ perspective. Like I don't think many people would choose the Z2 over the 62 if they had no budget.

62 is hands down the best if we will disregard the budget.

z2 is awesome but i think a 4 cue points and a filter knob wont cover much and im not a traktor fan myself

I suggest you go for the rane 57sl, group buttons, line fader curves, post effects, built it serato, filter knobs and things like those and its pretty solid.

Thanks guys. Had a look at the Z2, found if to be less than half the price of the 62 here in Australia, but I'm not sure I want to go down the Traktor route. I'm a Serato-head, I am used to it and have some sentimental reasons for sticking with it.

Thanks guys. Had a look at the Z2, found if to be less than half the price of the 62 here in Australia, but I'm not sure I want to go down the Traktor route. I'm a Serato-head, I am used to it and have some sentimental reasons for sticking with it.

It'll be marginally cheaper to order one from the States, but you're still looking at about $1800 for the 62. I reckon it's worth it though.

Yeah put it this way, when I half-jokingly told my friend at Serato I was accumulating too many Ranes and might have to get rid of my 57, he immediately offered to take it off my hands. The 57 might not have all the bells and whistles that the 62 has, but it does have a couple of tricks up its sleeve.

Chee,

first of all check your budget and get yourself a new laptop (prefferably Macbook Pro) before anything else. These DVS systems need a lot of resources to run efficiently, but their performance is rewarding, when done right.

Now, for a mixer go for a 62 or Z2. Unfortunately, the 57 is not an appropriate choice anymore, as it is not compatible with SeratoDJ, which is already a couple miles ahead of ScratchLive in options/whistles. The Z2 is nice and Traktor Scratch is nice, but it is different from Serato in a lot of ways. Better get a 'test drive' in both systems before purchasing one.

Guest rasteri

I'd say only get a 62 or z2 if you're just going to be using it at home. In clubs you're generally not in a position to swap the mixer out between DJs, so a standalone DVS is pretty much essential.

• 1 month later...

And now I have to choose between the 62 and 57MKII...Not to mention the weakening Australian dollar making these things more expensive as the weeks go by :(

Yeah I'd wait for the dollar to recover before ordering direct from the states

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

depends on budget.

if money no object get the 62, if it is go for the z2.

Z2 is a decent mixer. you can midi map it when not using trakor, you have cue buttons on the faceplate amonst many other functions.

the 62 is built better but cost alot more.

57 is a top mixer as well but has now been discontinued and is now out of date as mentioned previously.

keep us informed and we'll help with any questions.

This whole equation seems simple until you involve price.

You've got the Z2 which is well built, but not up to Rane standards, but still it's a DVS mixer with software, three propriety faders and lots of software/midi controls.

Then you've got the Rane 61 which is just a Rane mixer with Serato interface. Barely any other controls, but you do get a quality mixer.

Then there's the Rane 57MKII which is like the 61 but with a few extra software/midi controls and two USB ports.

At the top of the range there's the 62 - Rane mixer with everything thrown at it. Two USBs, hardware FX and every software/midi control imaginable.

I just had a look on Sapphires website and the pricing is as follows.

Z2 £589

61 £999

57MkII £1599

62 £1550

I really don't know how out of Rane's streamlined three mixer range, the middle spec one costs the most. Surely about £1299 would have made more sense?

Also, I realise the Z2 isn't as good as a Rane mixer, but the price difference is ridiculous. Although the Z2 is obviously built to a price, plenty of hard used early examples are still holding up really well (Paul hasn't broken anything on his yet which has previously been the test which has decimated many a lesser mixer). The flagship 62 hasn't been so lucky with the fader cock-up (admittedly now sorted) and many a broken cue button. Indeed, I saw someone asking for mixer advice on Facebook and a 62 owner said its the best mixer he's ever (fair enough) but suggested that it was worth the couple of hundred extra bucks for the extended 3 year warranty, so you can get the cue buttons replaced sometime just before it runs out.