What do you call the line fader move thing?

miggydb

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

What, like the perverts used to do? Tiger paws or something like that, i believe.

All they are doing is using each hand in turn to do a really quite up and down movement, making it a bit quicker and more importantly more comfortable to maintain physically for longer periods, plus it is in part just showing off your co-ordination/skillz.

• Like 1

Phil has it right. The trick to doing it is to not use your wrists but to use your forearm and keep your wrists somewhat stiff. You move the fader DOWN then UP with each movement per hand, but you want to coordinate your hands as if you were playing notes on a drum. Basically as soon as one hand is coming back up, the other hand is on its way down. There is no pause between movements. Hard to explain, but if shown you'll understand.

It sounds like he's talking about this trick Kentaro uses towards the end?

Yeah bro! Exactly that thing. haha

@scottie

Dude! That actually helped me totally! I now get it!!! I thought you use one hand to bring it down and the other to bring it up. but its all clear now its like you use one hand to bring it up and down then use the other to bring it up and down again right? Thanks so much guys!

Edited by miggydb

Guest rasteri

Anyone else notice how since Rane mixers became the usual weapon of choice, nobody's making this move sound quite as good as when they had mixers with a cut at the top of the fader's travel.

I just bought an old 07 (thanks numnuts) and I was amazed at how easy it was to do upfader trickery compared to the Rane/Ecler/A+H mixers I'm used to.

Gotta say though I much prefer a smooth fade in general, the 07 sucks for mixing. (Also WTF is it with those fader EQs?)

• Like 1

I was never a big fan of this move because it always seemed a bit gimmicky i.e. you're using two hands to do what one hand could do, but I've messed around with it a little and can confirm that it's so much easier with the Vestax line fader curve.

@scottie

Dude! That actually helped me totally! I now get it!!! I thought you use one hand to bring it down and the other to bring it up. but its all clear now its like you use one hand to bring it up and down then use the other to bring it up and down again right? Thanks so much guys!

I actually do it down-up, down-up but I suppose it can be done either way for a different effect. If you do it down-up and want have sound on the downbeats or the beginning of a bar, you have to start the move slightly early which can be a mindfuck for me sometimes.