Why are there not more female DJs?

Steve

I think DJing is mainly about showing off your catalogue-like knowledge of music to other people who would appreciate it.

For whatever reason men seem to like listing, cataloguing and ranking stuff (music, sports teams etc...) much more than women. So that's only half an answer I suppose.

I dunno man. Maybe the nerdy listing/ranking stuff plays a part, but then there's always been more male producers, guitarist, drummers etc. in the music industry too.

Maybe we should find some women and ask them. Does anyone here know any?

• Like 1

Dopp / rocqqkerz - what do Mrs Dopp and Mrs Rockwell think of djing? or think of your djing? maybe that'll shed some light.

She's likes my music collection (well some of it), but would rather it was the size of a bag of peanuts to keep the house tidier. The times she's seen me DJ she thinks it looks cool and is apparently quite proud of me. She thinks all the equipment is an unsightly mess and a drain on our resources. All scratching sounds horrible to her and she thinks that side of DJing is an extension of masturbation rather than music... unless I'm doing at a gig and she's watching, preferably with impressed friends, then she's proud and quick to tell the masses that I am her possesion.

• Like 2

Dopp / rocqqkerz - what do Mrs Dopp and Mrs Rockwell think of djing? or think of your djing? maybe that'll shed some light.

She's likes my music collection (well some of it), but would rather it was the size of a bag of peanuts to keep the house tidier.

You'd think they'd invent some kind of device, about the size of a bag of peanuts where you could somehow store all your music and listen to it off there. I guess I'm a dreamer!

• Like 2

We have female DJ's in the scene and a lot of them are at a high standard. Men that admire them see past the fact that they are women (often attractive) and praise them highly based on the skills they possess.

• Like 2

Men are all about hobbies, women are all about "unnecessary drama."

Agreed! We'll sort of, blokes in general are more into hobbies, if it's not an obvious hobby like dj'n etc then most guys I know are either into and have a nerd/obsessive like knowledge of either sport, computers, cars, weed or fishing.

The (literally) couple of dj girls in my Facebook friends list come across as proud single types who appear anti maternal. But in general it seems more common for ladys to have past times post or pre there breeding prime.

Nature and that

We could do with more women in the battle scene to create some unnecessary drama. What I'd like to see is scratch/battle DJs dissing each other on social media, accusing each other of being paedophiles, and saying "I invented that juggle before you, you cunt!" while everyone else looks on and thinks "you haven't done anything relevant for 20 years" - stuff like that. Until we get some more women on board, I can't see that ever happening though.

• Like 5