DV battle feedback thread - constructive criticism and ideas for the future

Steve

I suppose I feel that people seem to cling to a particular style as it's the 'In thing', very DMC like. It started many years ago with DJ Cheese showing the way, then Cash Money and Craze etc. Then all we would see and hear for 5/6 years is the same style until some new comes along.

Within a scratching point of view I am still hearing people trying to emulate Ned Hoddings 'jiggy style' which to be fair was very good and inspiring back in 2004 but still using this style now for me is not inspiring at all, 'played out' would be my choice of words. The art-form has suffered badly from this approach and is why I feel that scratching is in this stale and uninspiring position..

Given that I have been scratching for over 20 years and have performed with some of the best Hip Hop Dj's in the world I feel I have a great understanding of the art-form. I hate to say it but the the scene is full of followers not innovators, hence why they share a similar point of view.

Tags

Edited by djtags

Hmmm.... I think the disappointing thing here is that there is nothing here that is raising the level.

I can remember hating on Rucker for saying the same thing back in 2003. I entered this comp to really get a feel for where scratching has moved too, who's new in the game and who's advancing it. And unfortunately I don't see anything. I am acutely aware this is extremely subjective, but I can watch files and see missed clicks, weak record control and attempts to hit "power move" home runs and this is construed as amazing..... No consideration around what it actually sounds like (the scratching, not the beat)... This is supposed to be about sounding dope isn't it?

But the general consensus seems to be about super fast efforts with vocal samples that contain enough gaps that mistakes are hidden....

I love scratching for how it sounds, not going hammer and tongs all the time ,but actually flowing, you know with a bit of up and down..... I know a lot of really dope dis that can hit all the techniques but surely it is about how a dj applies those techniques to make something musical. Pitching and scaling sounds, total control and "making it talk"...

So, I wish everyone all the best in this competition, but personally it is not for me. Good luck nailing techniques......

Peace

J

• Like 1

Maybe it's the cheap wine I'm drinking tonight, but some of this stuff smells like sour grapes to me. Some of the competitors and judges have been cutting for 20 years or so too.

As for cliquey voting.....

http://i.imgur.com/rSJTdvN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nWNDEo6.jpg

*eyebrow raised* lol

Outside of putting each other in 1st place, you both voted for a bunch of people that ended up in the overall top 8, so I don't really get your gripes at all.

• Like 3

Ha ha!!!!! No, just a wake up call that scratch battles are not really for me!

But I am absolutely gobsmacked at what is believed to be amazing scratching on here. But as I said Steve, this is my very subjective view and not criticism of you at all. I think it is great you are doing this, but it is not for me.

Good luck mate, and mine was an absolutely honest vote, Tags kills it and no one can step to him

peace

This was an honest vote. Me and my main Jue share the same point of view, hence J killing and it was not just me who thought so.

I agree music is subjective hence us thinking most of these kats are wack.

Enjoy your wine....

Edited by djtags

I'm not taking offence at this. I just don't understand it, that's all. It does come across as a little offensive to the other competitors and judges though, as there's an implication that they're all clones who haven't been in the game long enough to recognise real skill, while at the same time, you're both coincidentally able to recognise each other as the number 1 scratchers in the entire competition. Haha. You can't expect me to let that one fly gents.

• Like 2

This is a forum where we should be able to voice our opinion. I have been honest with my comments and will stand by them. There is a lot of music and different styles out there, but sadly this did it do it for me, but 'hay hoe'.

If I am to be totally honest I have seen and herd all these cuts so many times before and this is why I found most of the competitors a bit boring and predictable.

Tags

You're being allowed to voice your opinion, but I don't see how you can vote for 5 of the 8 people that made it through to the top 8, while complaining about the voting system needing to be scrapped and making comments about DJs sucking, judges all thinking alike etc.. What is your gripe exactly? That the other 3 people you voted for didn't make it through?

• Like 1

I had to vote for someone Steve. There were a few people who I voted for who I thought could hang!!! So I am mainly talking about the others (not naming names!!!)

My gripe is not with you or how the competition was organised. It was a mixture of disappointment from the entries and the way it was judged. I also felt that the competition could be made better by the suggestions I have made within prior posts.

Tags

I actually don't think the competitors need to vote either, but its mainly because competitors aren't under any obligation or pressure to vote fairly and so are more likely to vote randomly or in favor of their friends. I mean most of the time when two friends simultaneously vote first position for each other they won't be openly critiqued for it even if a few people pick up on it. It's different from the judging side though. Whether you judge fairly or not, people will be left out and those left out can get heated even when you've tried to do everything objectively. In reality judges are a lot more on the spot to vote fairly since your integrity is being tested and your positions will be the most closely scrutinized.

It's already been suggested but I'd really like there to be 16 positions for the first round if we get a similar amount next year, as I thought it was a bit extreme to narrow down from 78 right down to 8 in round 1.

Fair points, although I'm not sure that there was enough dodgy voting going on that it affected the outcome. It potentially could, of course.

I think next time I'll try and get more judges on board from the beginning, then we'll not bother with the peer voting. That makes it less hassle for me too, as I don't have to tally up all the scores, double-check that I've entered them in correctly etc. I reckon if we can get 2 extra judges in from the beginning, that would probably be enough.

Cutting it down to 16 after round 1 we can definitely do.

• Like 1

I don't think that the peer voting system should be dropped altogether as it did bring a few more members to the site that might not have created an account otherwise. You've still offered enough possibilites for people to vote via Facebok or mail, so nobody is being redlined but this is a DV battle, so I feel like it'd be a pity to remove that community part.

Maybe one of the other admins could take care of collecting and adding up the votes, so you don't need to it all on your own???

Pros:

- Attracts new members, strengthens community

- Motivation for DJs ("somebody considers me to be one of the best eight contestants")

- Doesn't change the complete outcome but still in a reasonable way

- More drama

Cons:

- Even more work for Steve

- More drama