Sick Dilla Boxset.

djdiggla

Ugh, they don't even list a price for it (or I'm not looking enough). I like Jay Dee but I'm getting tired of that glorification: Everybody's wearing "J Dilla changed my life" shirts. However, nobody bought the records when they were new.

#oldmanrant

• Like 3

Ugh, they don't even list a price for it (or I'm not looking enough). I like Jay Dee but I'm getting tired of that glorification: Everybody's wearing "J Dilla changed my life" shirts. However, nobody bought the records when they were new.

#oldmanrant

No doubt. I like him but never was a hardcore fan and so can't really justify paying an arm and leg for a box set. I like his work of course and it looks dope as fuck but my guess is +$200... I can't do that.

yeah i got a bit sick of the post death glorification too, but in fairness, its up to the individual to buy his shit you don't need to if you don't want to. his shit is amazing, he did change the game, and unfortunately due to his illness ma dukes is facing huge debt over the medical bills. so i'd like the family to get all they can from it.

• Like 2

Fair enough - I already knew my post wasn't really justified. It's more being annoyed by the sudden audience of millions of people but I guess it's like that with most good, pretty well known and deceased artists. The box is a great thing for a collector, of course. Also, I don't know if releasing every little bit you can find is for the good of an artist's complete works. But maybe I'm wrong on that, too, otherwise we wouldn't be able to read lots of Kafka's work.

Maybe, I'll just buy this one:

• Like 1

yeah i got a bit sick of the post death glorification too, but in fairness, its up to the individual to buy his shit you don't need to if you don't want to. his shit is amazing, he did change the game, and unfortunately due to his illness ma dukes is facing huge debt over the medical bills. so i'd like the family to get all they can from it.

Rookie move. Should have transferred all of his music rights to Ma before dying. They can only collect from the estate not relatives.

Rookie move. Should have transferred all of his music rights to Ma before dying. They can only collect from the estate not relatives.

The dude had no insurance which is why there's so much debt now. Still a rookie move I guess.

My pops has always said to not carry insurance. The hospitals can't refuse service but they can't force you to pay. At worst you'd get stuck paying the minimum payment plan of $25/mo for the rest of your life. Then when you die your estate is wiped out by he debt but you probably not gonna have much of a nestegg anyways. Debt doesn't transfer to heirs/relatives (at least here). Obviously the problem with Dilla was his estate is worth something so they can continue to collect. If he had put everything in his moms name before dying then he woulda saved him mom a ton of money and secured her financially.

Never mind the box set, I want his SP1200.

Yeah man. How can you not turn around and buy a SP if you get the box set.

£200 hahaha and the rest, the box is made of wood for a start, and it has a tape and floppy disc etc...

I reckon double that estimate - £400 at very least. And that shit will double the day after release day on ebay!

The box itself looks great though...

It's £122, but shipping to the UK is £77.

Not as bad as expected (the price, not Steve). Although I have to wonder what they are now digging up from old hard drives and discs and whether they've maybe already mined the best unreleased stuff - this very suggestion is sacrilege I'm sure to all Dilla's new fans who've posthumously canonised him and would buy a recording of the sound of him turning his sampler on and wonder why people keep going on about old Pharcyde and Tribe beats when they were clearly produced by someone else called Jaydee.

• Like 1

$207.74 for me in the States. What a cool box set but I can't justify that for something I'll probably never listen to more than once (aside from the tape).