Fretless Fader

Do they even sell C1s anymore? ...Why produce a product to pair with a product that doesn't exist?

Depending what ya believe there was only ever 150 or 250 C1's ever made, probably the lesser I reckon. But that aside the PDX 3000 is midi controllable and fretless fader friendly.

Post djworx and techtools coverage Info is non existent on the fretless fader, there was also some cool footage of John beez dominating his fretless fader at the scratch pad, I've read the odd thing here and there that a couple of dj's have had made to order units.

My guess is its probably to expensive to get the project in to production for a sole trader but not profitable enough for a proper manufacturer to take on

Ah, I didn't know the 3000 was midi controllable. That would be dope. Beez came thru town a couple years back to so Fun Fun Fun Fest with Nicknack. Supposedly Beez was in talks with Vestax. I figure you would have to self produce or do a kickstarter thing because the small number of sales just doesn't justify building it otherwise. I used to not be so pessimistic but after reading that DJworx article on the metrics for bringing back the technics turntable I don't think there is much future in traditional turntables or scratch gear from large companies at least.

• 1 year later...
Guest rasteri

I wrote the code and designed the circuit for John's fretless fader.

We had it working with various selectable scales (major/minor/pentatonic/blues) and it was pretty cool. We're both major procrastinators though.

I've not heard from him in something like a year.

I'd love to help anyone who wants to make one (the electronics are simple as fuck) but I don't wanna go behind John's back.

He's on facebook, I'd try and get hold of him there.

• Like 3

Yeah man, if it's not going to happen as an all-in-one product it would be way better to do it as a kit or even a blueprint of some type than just letting it languish. A kit would help prevent people from jacking the blueprint and sharing it. Stuff like this gets made in the arcade and pinball circles. I wonder if a team up would work on the manufacturing end. Or what about the Technics mod guys? Ship your mixer to them, they mod it out, send it back, kick a portion of the profit to John, etc?