Proto-bass hiphop/r&b tracks

djdiggla

So I'm trying to come up with a playlist just for personal jamming durring my commute... An hour or more of tunes that are all what I'd call pre-bass tracks (I don't know if it has a real name) where it has pretty modern synthy bass like you'd find in a track now but it came out in the 90s or 2000s before that stuff was really at the forefrunt with dubstep, etc.

Here's what I got so far... anyone have any other adds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7P6ut6HPR8

Yeah the west coast defo had heavy synths (east cost not as common at least as far as I can think of) ...but more looking for real raw sounding stuff--the g-funk stuff is a little more polished synth sound than what I'm looking for.

Masta Ace Born to Roll?

Fuck yes Waxie! That's what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

^^naw man, never heard of em!

If you like that Masta Ace track, there's always the source of that beat/bassline: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-SAtDjc1w0

Shite track though.

Good ones! Yeah I got that single on vinyl but only use the inst.

What about Gravediggers - "Bang Your Head" and Wu's - "7th chamber part II"?

That Diggers song is a classic but not really heavy synth enough but the Wu tune is spot on!

EDIT: @Steve Another perfect one with that Slum Village. I shoulda known that one. I actually got an all inst HH set I forgot about with that back to back with a few other similar tunes... will have to dig em up tonight... can't remember the names.

Guest petesasqwax

I don't understand why I keep checking this thread every time it comes back to the top. Its like some weirdo compulsion on my part