Maschine mk1 or mk2

i had mk1 and sold for mk2..but there is not really much between them..coloured pads would be amazing for the remix deck mapping on mk2..but the pad leds do not match the remix deck colours....so really that was the big draw for me..and it doesnt work.

i would still get a mk2 tho as i see on ebay second hand there is not much between them price wise.

• Like 1

The MK2 is a little bit better - softer, more responsive pads and a few other slightly improved tweaks. The multi coloured pads don't mean much for programming but are better for live performance. Also, you don't know how old a MK1 is - mine's as old as they get and the encoders sometimes get a bit jumpy.

I'd definitely get the full size controller over the mikro - a lot of the workflow is more longwinded or mouse based on the mikro. Once you get used to where everything is on the full size controller, you can work really fast with plenty of hands on control of whatever parameters you are working on.

Make sure you've turned the sensitivity up to full in the software's preferences box first...

I find that it's sensitive enough with standard pads in full sensitivity mode, but Paul did add both the cork pads and the fat pads (for increased sensitivity and softer pads, respectively) to his old MK1 controller and they worked well. I guess it's preference as much as anything.

Thick Pads highly recommended, they don't make a massive difference in sensitivity but for some reason they make rolls and general playing much nicer than standard.

The corks really made a difference to sensitivity, but every now and then hitting one pad could trigger its neighbour, it was pretty rare though. If you wanna get into velocity finger drumming then overall I'd recommend both mods for the MK1.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a big Mk1 and a little Mk2.

Coloured pads, mean very little to me, except I know what song I'm meant to play.... Although so does practicing.

Biggest thing for me is the USB port. The one on the mk1 is shit and I've had the USB lead come out live, which was my main reason for getting a mk2.

I do prefer the big one for making sounds, programming the mikro is shit. However, it's fine for live when all that stuff has been done.

I know sample packs are sacrilege for some but are any of the Maschine Expansions any good? Got a voucher when I bought the hardware so can get one for £22... Can't believe I'm actually considering paying for software :huh:

I know sample packs are sacrilege for some but are any of the Maschine Expansions any good? Got a voucher when I bought the hardware so can get one for £22... Can't believe I'm actually considering paying for software :huh:

Some are... You wouldn't want to make whole tune out of them of course, but they are well engineered in the first place and are good for picking and choosing bits from and great for live play fodder.

Paul, which are the good ones?