Next time your dad tells you that sampling's cheating...

DJ Rock Well

...and that they didn't have to resort to such lowly tactics in the glorious heyday of musical creativity (the 1960s), point him towards Isaac Albeniz.

0:00 mins

0:30 mins

http://youtu.be/pKmkOIlHbok

I always knew that Spanish Caravan was based on classical music, but until today I honestly didn't know this one.

Anyone got any more early "samples" they know of?

• Like 2

Good call diggla, initially I was just thinking of them as another rock band that played blues covers. But your right, they definitely took it further than that and were pretty cheeky about what they tried to get away with. An out of court settlement with Willie Dixon stands as good testament to their habitual "borrowing".

Guest petesasqwax

there's a beauty on an early 70s Japrock album which starts and finishes with them literally playing an Axelrod record, but I'm buggered if I can remember which group/album it is. I'm hunting through Japrock LPs to find it... bloody enjoyable way to the pass the time to be honest

Guest petesasqwax

i think there's a rich tradition of this kind of thing in Japan. Major Force referenced it in their 10" on Apeman under the name The Japanese Noise Band. They grabbed the same Grand Funk Railroad loop Shadow used for "Hardcore (Instrumental) Hip-Hop" ("Nothing Is The Same") and basically jammed over it (which is a clever pun (that nobody cares about) because 1/2 of The Japanese Noise Band was Kenji Jammer...).