"EDM" sucks balls - the death of sampling?

Steve

16 EDM tunes mashed up: -

https://soundcloud.com/daleri/epic-mashleg

The current number one on Beatport: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCdtmaIxmOY

I fucking HATE this kind of shit. Some people say to me "yeah, it's just a phase that will pass", but will it? A lot of hip-hop producers that I like were inspired by old records their parents listened to, and sampling wasn't the "get sued for millions" game that it is now. Hearing samples is what got me into James Brown and a TON of other stuff.

Even outside of the mainstream EDM scene, you've got youths who are like "yeah, that old soul/R&B song sucks ball" until their favourite "beats" producer (who is usually both older and more clued up than them) samples it, then all of a sudden it's "the shit!" and they pretend that they liked it all along.

To me, this paints a grim future for this kind of music.

What say you?

On a personal tip, I love sampling and music that samples.

But what offends me even more than the lack samples in EDM, is the lazy, heard it all before preset synth sounds. Too many producers are just mildly tweaking presets or copying each other's generic sounds.

Also, when you listen to some mainstream American producers making EDM or Hip Pop, you can tell they don't have the 2-3 decades if dance music history behind them that UK or European producers have. I know that there's been American dance music for all this time too, but it sounds like you got say some hip hop producers who never made a synth track in their life and who ignored that music because it was written off as "gay music" or "drugs music" who've stumbled across a preset called "standard 90s trance super-saw" and said to themselves "wow that's fresh, I've never heard that before, I'll use it in my next club banger".

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Ha, like in the same way grime producers seemed to think, "this unprocessed sine wave is the best sound i've ever heard! I'm going to use it a lot" in the mid 2000's.

Guest Symatic

i don't get it.....

we already knew david guetta was shit.... but we're giving him views on youtube. people will keep making shit rip off music whatever.

just make music you do like if you can't hear anything you don't. dave guetta isn't gonna start making dope hip hop beats any time soon.

like in the 90's can you remember the pop charts being full of amazing tunes? i can't. you had stuff like wet wet wet and brian adams topping the charts. you got ant and dec trying to do the rap thing. you want something other than mainstream shit? DIG!

i think ive missed the point???

• Like 1

On a personal tip, I love sampling and music that samples.

But what offends me even more than the lack samples in EDM, is the lazy, heard it all before preset synth sounds. Too many producers are just mildly tweaking presets or copying each other's generic sounds.

Also, when you listen to some mainstream American producers making EDM or Hip Pop, you can tell they don't have the 2-3 decades if dance music history behind them that UK or European producers have. I know that there's been American dance music for all this time too, but it sounds like you got say some hip hop producers who never made a synth track in their life and who ignored that music because it was written off as "gay music" or "drugs music" who've stumbled across a preset called "standard 90s trance super-saw" and said to themselves "wow that's fresh, I've never heard that before, I'll use it in my next club banger".

That was the joke me and a promoter friend used to have during the b-more craze... All these hiphop DJs/producers that literally called EDM fag music were all on the bmore nut. It was pretty lame IMO being someone who has always liked both.

Terrible. Although not a great example as the break down samples Nancy Sinatra though....

Haha, it does, but it's just a complete rip-off of that other song that does the exact same thing.

Anyway, my point was terribly made, largely cos I was in a fucking bad mood when I made it. A better way to put it would have been like this - you've got kids growing up now who ain't going out digging for records cos their collections are 100% digital. You've got laws that have really tightened up on people sampling without permission - Kno from CunninLynguists said that if people didn't stop posting lists of tracks he'd sampled on YouTube and sites like WhoSampled, he was gonna have to quit making music because he's getting ceases and desist letters and threats of being sued. You've also got a lot of kids who seem very disrespectful about older hip-hop, like Lil' Wayne fans on YouTube dissing Rakim and what have you. So, I was wondering how a change in the way people discover/buy music, harsher laws, and lack of respect for what's came before would affect things (sampled-based music mainly) in the future, but the first post I made had very little to do with that, lol.

Guest Symatic

I was wondering how a change in the way people discover/buy music, harsher laws, and lack of respect for what's came before would affect things (sampled-based music mainly) in the future, but the first post I made had very little to do with that, lol.

hopefully people will continue to use sampling creatively, despite the 'value' of it going down because it's a lot easier to do now.

i can see how such a mind-bendingly shite track would put you in such a bad mood tho :p

imo opinion the best and most original music was made before sampling and even drummachines, talking about the funk and P-Funk from the late 70s early 80s

EDM = soulless & pure fakeness, i cannot stand listening even 10 secs to that garbage with that fake whore in the chorus

On a good note ppl still seem to buy records, more than in like 93 so that means enough still care about quality music..where i live i sometimes still do some digging..they still seem to do good business

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Kno from CunninLynguists said that if people didn't stop posting lists of tracks he'd sampled on YouTube and sites like WhoSampled, he was gonna have to quit making music because he's getting ceases and desist letters and threats of being sued.

I want to preface this comment with the statement that I really like Kno and I like CunninLynguists (even though I've never seen them credit Akinyele with the inspiration for their name "I called my album 'Vagina Diner' because I find myself to be a cunning linguist")

This isn't aimed at Kno specifically, but at producers in general - anyone who cries about getting their samples spotted and listed needs to flip that shit harder. It's not rocket science. Flip that shit harder so that it's not recognisable. If all you're doing is taking a loop, your shit is fair game for those sites. If you don't like that or it's causing you problems, don't do it any more