Chirp/forward or stab? Practice help

Pich

I've been reading that this combo is pretty good to learn and get down well as it helps with other scratches, I've been practicing it but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly or even if there is a correct way as in you can do what you like, also are the two different scratches (chirp/forward) supposed to be separated or done in one motion? You can sort of go into a forward from the chirp by doing half a chirp, sorry if this is a silly question but just wanted some pointers on where to go with it.

Cheers

To be honest, I don't know which specific combo you're talking about but in general I'd say that you're at a level where you can just try stuff and see if you like it (same goes for your reverse scratching thread). Even if you don't like a certain combo, it might help you with another one later. Not to say that you shouldn't post or anything, of course. :d But there's probably not really a right way to scratch aside from rhythmic accuracy and good technique / control over the fader and record.

To give you at least sort of an answer to your question: I guess this pattern comes from scratching snares while backspinning or mixing and then dropping it on the fourth beat, so if there's a pause depends on where you place the chirp (no pause being probably more natural).

As always, Chile's got some nice tutorials on Chirps:

http://dj-chile.com/scratch-tutorials/baby-forward-chirp-combos

http://dj-chile.com/scratch-tutorials/core-techniques-series