router help...

jastek

youll probably wanna go with a four port router. What else do you want with it. I think getting routers are pretty easy just stay away from those routers that offer a whole bunch of crap that you dont need that just make cost $200 more. What do you need? like something afordable or what? Because for most routers I think the cheapest one will do you fine as long as they have good customer support and good reputation your fine with something very basic. Unless you need it for something else. It would be a little harder to pick a wireless router because then you get into reliability of the router itself and signal strenghts and what not, so let us know, haha hope that helped ... a little?

oh and yes most wireless have also ethernet connections, because if your going to go wireless you usually want to make the main computer hooked up through ethernet cord.

a lot (maybe all) wireless routers support wired connections too.

have a look on ebay. you just need a normal router. or a "broadband" router. no need for built in modems.

shouldnt cost you more than 25 quid

they will have one socket with "wan" on it and probably 4 other sockets (for the 4 network devices)

get your cable modem working first with your pc CONNECTED BY ETHERNET cable not usb ;)

once its all configured (and definately working) plug it into the WAN socket on the router. then plug the pc into one of the other sockets.

dead easy to set up. get some cat 5 cable from maplins or somewhere and make up some long patch cables to the other pc's (or use wall sockets)

ok, so just so im clear...

you can have a wireless modem/router (linsys?) and have wireless adapters and/or wireless ethernet cards to multiple pcs all off one connection (ip?)...

reason im asking is cause our internet service is givin me all this jive talk about paying more money for an ip address, and my bro is doubtin my way of doing this which is what i just asked about...

my friends have a setup like this (1 wireless modem/router and an adapter on the 2 computers, er 1) and they say its possible....

Do they also let people in your neighborhood "steal" bandwidth from you, or hack into system?

and no you can set up a security key for your wireless connection but it slows down the connection speed but you need it unless you want people leeching off

yeah thats exactly what im wanting to do... atleast have one pc hooked into the modem directly if needed, but one would have to run wireless... it should work, i just want to make sure that i buy the correct modem/router and adapter er whatever... my bro already bought the wrong router the first time.... that or we still cant get it to work...

Jastek- quick comment though if your gonna buy cheap, atleast buy it from a company with good customer support, because i know you can post up here your questions if you cant get it to work but i think the people at the company support line can help alot better since its over the phone and they know what has and hasent been done. Ive had to use it a couple of times and was lucky enough to get some cool people that actually helped.

i think when you have more than one comp on a router, your comps have the same gateway adress but different ip's. xxx.xxx.x would be the gateway and then xxx.xxx.x.xx would be the ip. that type of thing, at least thats how it is working at my house. i have two comps hooked up. not an expert but i think dhcp (some kind of protocol) has to do with the automatic choosing of ips and other internet settings. could be wrong though, but i have a 35 dollar microsoft router that works for comps and xboxes and it works fine.

hey rygon, you play any games over the internet with your wireless? ive wanted to get a wireless and then a laptop sometime in the future, but i dont want to if my DOD wont run well.