Faderbox

Guest rasteri

Guest rasteri

For the last few months weeks I've been building a faderbox, this week I finally got it functional and put in a box. Yeah it looks shit but what can you do.

I think this is the smallest faderbox yet (140mm wide, 75mm high, 50mm deep). It has 2 channels with bass kill and line/phono switches. The channel ins are on either side, since I figure it could be used to beat juggle with the turntables right up against each other and the box just in front of them (not tried that yet).

I dunno where I wanna go from here. Jon offered to help test it so I'll send one to him once I get the design finalized, but if I were to sell them I'd need to work with someone who knows about case design and manufacture (I can handle the circuitry).

Edited by rasteri
  • Like 6

That's great!

Like you said, if you were selling them you'd need to have slick box for the casing but I'm sure that's a tiny hurdle compared to what you've done already. If it was my own, I'd have to stick an extra plate on top to cover the screws and reduce the gap between the top plate and fader cap - but I'm then I'm a fussy git about little things like that.

Guest rasteri

Yeah I'll probably spray the unit black and get a faceplate made, it'd really improve the look/feel of the device. A custom faceplate will cost more than all the rest of the components combined however :(

I sent the circuit diagram to backtrack, hopefully he'll make something even better.

Guest Symatic

Thats ferkin sick. Fe do has built his own one too, maybe link with him for ideas?

I love the dub siren style case, without thise screws by the fader i wouldnt change anything!

Guest rasteri

Well it's a pretty hard thing to build, since it's an original design rather than just a re-cased 06 or whatever. Here's the schematic if anyone fancies having a go though.

It's (just about) possible to lay this thing out on a single-sided PCB. I just noticed there are issues with noise, I think probably caused by the DC-DC converter, so maybe adding an inductor or ferrite bead would fix it. Or just a less-shit converter...

Edited by rasteri
  • Like 1

wow. i spent 7 years of my life as an electronic technician and i've never tried to build my own mixer. this is actually impressive. i would love to see a video of this thing. did you get a board printed up to solder on? or did you use a generic wafer board with wire wrapping?

Guest rasteri

I designed the PCB using EAGLE, then etched the board myself using UV-sensitized boards (like backtrack does), although I kinda wish I'd got it made for me because I suck at board etching :) And I fixed the noise problems so I'll make a video very soon.

I don't mean to piss on your chips, but what is the point of things like this? I've seen them before, but I just think "why not use a mixer?". I would be concerned about the stability too.

The only thing I would say about the design, given that it's obviously not some finished product ready to be sold to others, is that you could use recessed screws on top so they sit flush with the top of the unit.

Guest rasteri

There's about 50 quid of stuff in it not including the fader. It'll easy take an innofader, but I'm gunna wait to see how the mini-innofaders turn out.

Guest rasteri

If I were to do a limited run of (say) 25 units as kits, the price will be still pretty high for a device like this (around £200 perhaps). Would you be willing to pay that much?

So... Rasteri sent me the schematics and I think its a fun project. Might not be price-worthy in the end but its cool to have your own built stuff.

Anyway. At work I'm learning this new CAD-PCB program so I needed I project to work on. So I asked Rasteri if I could use his circuit (made some minor changes) and this is the result. Its 89 x 62mm so you can build a very small mixer if you wanted to.
I made this for learning so I'm not gonna sell it or so. The amount of time to fit the PCB is just to much. Just gonna make one or two for fun.

A big thanks to Rasteri for his time in making this faderbox.

• Like 2