Nearly Dan (Steely Dan tribute) - London 19/01/14

doppelkorn

Well, no surprises here really, but Steely Dan's another popular band I really don't like.

I'll concede Peg's quite a good song, bit that's it for me. People talk about Becker & Fagen recording things for hundreds of takes until they achieved musical perfection, to me it sounds like they did it again and again until they'd sucked every last drop of life out of it. But then I generally find a lot of music I like was recorded very spontaneously in one hit or very few takes.

Also, while I'm slagging off Steely Dan, I think that Aja has the lowest quality musical output in relation to the quality of the musicians who played on it (not Becker & Fagen, all the guests and session players) of any album ever.

Although they existed on a much smaller scale all round the world prior to this, tribute acts really took off during the 60s and early 70s in Australia. Basically, the then higher cost of travel in relation to the relatively small population/audience meant that a lot of big bands wouldn't include Australia on their world tours. Although things are obviously different now, remnants of the culture still exist and you'll still find good quality, tribute acts in Oz (although now, like everywhere they'd usually be doing it because the original band is dead or defunct)