i finally managed to do a (not so good) video

Pich

ive been wanting to post a video for awhile just to get some advice on where im going wrong and what I can improve on, I was showing my girlfriend for the first time in ages to see if she thought id improved and she recorded it so I thought id use it to post on here,

any feedback would be great, good and bad.

I know its not very clean and I mess up a lot but I thought id still put it up,

ive been practicing just over a year and not as often as id like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21tcrk_57Lk

Just one year? Damn, that's pretty impressive!

I think you're on a good way (do you even say that in English?) because you already know some different techniques and mix them up in a funky way. Also, I think that for the time that you've been doing it for, it is very clean. Just keep on exploring combos. Maybe you could practice more chirps, drags and tears. There are already some in your video - just as a general idea, maybe.

Thanks for you advice guys, I really appreciate it especially when I don't really have anyone to share scratch talk with, I think I'll just keep practicing :-), its pich but I say it like you pronounce the word pitch but without the t.

• Like 1

Thanks for that chile, gives me motivation to keep on practicing.

lol I expected something like that from you for some reason eric lol, it is a nice crack but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse so I think the house is ok, I knew those builders were dodgy.

Edited by Pich

:-) Thanks everyone, I know it's not perfect but hearing you guys comments gives a bit of confidence to push on, its hard sometimes especially when you feel like you ent getting anywhere

:-) Thanks everyone, I know it's not perfect but hearing you guys comments gives a bit of confidence to push on, its hard sometimes especially when you feel like you ent getting anywhere

Sometimes you'll plateau for a while and it'll seem like you're not progressing, but stick with it.

Thanks guys, it's nice to hear, I'll do another video in a years time :-), I know what you mean about the plateau, if you keep at it I find you push through the bad sessions lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm going to do a video with some techniques and flows to try. very clean cuts, but they are like a pair of straight cut jeans.... very straight.

I think the general public would like your cuts because they're easy to follow. This should be a bad thing lol

Lets confuse them mofo's with some ish they didn't expect :-)

• 2 weeks later...

i agree i know i need to add something to my scratching but it isn't coming to me just yet lol, like you said i need to add something else to it,

ill look forward to a video like that because theres not much in the way of talking about or how to create or string scratches together, its not something i think you can teach its got to come from yourself but a push in the right direction would be good.

i learnt the autobahn the other week which was good but even that's gone stale now

• Like 1

Nice thanks boss that would be good :-), what would be a good starting point to start working on making my scratches less straight? I guess it's just practice really

I think "funkiness" tends to come later on. When you see a scratch video from a real n00b (one that has only been doing it for a couple of months), it's almost like a robot is doing the motions, cos they're kinda struggling/concentrating just to be able to pull off the individual techniques. Over time, that goes as the scratching itself becomes second nature through muscle memory and the flow/funkiness increases.

How you perform scratches does make a difference too though. For example, if you go back and listen to some old school scratching, you would often hear transform patterns with 2 clicks forward and 1 on the reverse or 1 forward and 2 on the reverse - the kind of thing that Cash Money and Jazzy Jeff used to do a lot - but the clicks would be evenly spaced and the record movement was basically a baby scratch. A year or two after that, DJs like Aladdin came out and the way they phrased those kinds of scratches was different, which added more flavour to them, so if he was doing a 1 forward/2 back transform pattern he would have a longer pause after the first click, then the second 2 clicks would be closer together - it still fit over the beat just right, but it "funked up" that technique a little.

The complexity of the technique isn't really what matters - it's how it's timed/phrased that does, for example, if you listen to someone like Ricci Rucker scratch, he will often do really funky shit with scratches that are very basic (of course, combined with some of the crazy shit he does that is far from basic).

I actually recon for a years progress you're developing using a really sensible approach. I posted recently about this on facebook -

'One thing about scratch combos..They're very much like words in that they don't last long, and you'll need to know a lot of them, and a lot about how to order them coherently so you can say new things.. Some words are used more than others, so be selective in what you start with learning.. I like to think of the more complex and 'cool' sounding combos like autobahns or multi-crab baby things as similar to words like 'Eolithic' or 'Dysphemism'.. These are words, but not the most versatile or commonly used ones.. And certainly not the most essential words for learning how to communicate.. Things like chirps and stabs and transforms... Those are more like the glue that creates or facilitates meaning in a sentence.. things like 'the' 'and' etc.. You'll talk more coherently if you start with these fundamentals.. Then later those more specific, eloquent words can be embedded into the sentences you create through those basic cuts.'

So keep going with the simple scratches and developing your flow and technique with them, and work on integrating the slightly more advanced combos over time into that flow. You're basically already on the way with this.

Thanks steve I see where your coming from, sometimes when I practice I worry too much about what I think I should be doing and sometimes just go around in circles not really getting anywhere, I think I should send some time and scratches I can do and maybe even them differently which I have done with some scratches but if I have a break through I tend to kill it before its already begun coz I keep doing it till I get sick of hearing it,

Yeh chile I saw that on fb and it really makes a lot of sence, it's a good way of looking at it, I also liked your vid of rodney mullen I think he talks a lot of sense, have you checked out bones brigade? got some good interviews with him on it,

Cheers I'll just keep at it in going to focus on the simple things for a week or so see where it gets me.