1 deck mixing vs. 2 decks (Jon - talk to me)

Steve

I know Jon does all of his gigs (regular gigs) with 1 deck, but I was wondering about any limitations/issues in using 1 deck Vs. 2.

I've dabbled with using instant doubles to mix just out of interest, so I know how it works. It also has the advantage of me always being in the best position for scratching, plus it's less gear to lug about too. But what are the disadvantages? I guess it just feels weird to me using 1 turntable to do mixes (proper live ones I mean, as all my multitracked ones are done with 1 deck), but perhaps I should practice it and get used to it.

Obviously you can't juggle to the same extent as you can with 2 decks and mixing tricks like pause stops/wheel ups aren't possible on your internal deck (although in scratch live you can do wheel ups in internal mode). You have to learn your way around your DVS's internal mode player too and learn how to use the pitch control sufficently within the software if you like correcting tempo using both decks.

I think it depends on your style of mixing really. If you take more of a chop mix/scratch approach, you're going to want to use 2 decks more, if you prefer mixing using EQs and/or the volume faders it's less of an issue. I do miss the start stop side of it but I prefer the benefits of 1 deck mixing more

i did it for quite a while wehn ionly had one CDJ. as I was mainly just blending i enjoyed it for the most part and got on fine with it. it also freed up alot of extra space on my desk. Thing is tho I found I had to really know what i was gonna play next, or at least have a quick selection of tunes to pick from as it does take away some time only having one deck. That might be down to my style of mixing tho thinking about it.

Guest Symatic

yeah not so much juggling you can do, but with echo out and a bit of internal rewinding you can do a fair bit. or the old manual-loop-echo out.

if its a cheap/free gig ill normally only bring one deck