my IDA scratch Rd 2 vid

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Really good, your cuts have definitely gone up a level this year... sounds like you're really owning the moves you use.

+1 to these sentiments. You're getting all nice and that. Props! That was dopeness.

sick thanks guys! wasn't sure how this one would go over since I tried to take a bit of a diff route... glad peeps are feelin it :). Aside from the beginning which was obv planned I tried to think a bit less for this one, so it was more of a true freestyle whereas sometimes I have sort of a skeleton in my head of what I wanna do. I think jumping between samples kept me from falling into the same groove too much also.

and yea Kimbly's right (#thxbro), the 62-Z was a prize, the other one is from Rane sponsorship (I think I mentioned it on here before but haven't announced officially yet cuz I'm doing a vid)

I don't know if your recent gains in scratch abilities are cos you've been practising specifically for this or just in general... and like you said, IQ and KV are gonna make this battle hard for you... but regardless of all that, you're definitely gonna be going into the main battles this year with a stronger skill set than ever before. Really looking forward to seeing how this year turns out for you.

• Like 3

There are some really nice cuts in there. I also like the fact you got some variation in record hand pitching in there too. I've become a bit desensitised to complex clicking now although I still have a lot of respect for those that can do it well. Combining excellent rhythm with funky pitching is what makes the best scratching stay interesting I reckon.

I don't know if your recent gains in scratch abilities are cos you've been practising specifically for this or just in general... and like you said, IQ and KV are gonna make this battle hard for you... but regardless of all that, you're definitely gonna be going into the main battles this year with a stronger skill set than ever before. Really looking forward to seeing how this year turns out for you.

I haven't really practiced anything specifically for this battle but for the past 6 months I've just been motivated to practice my solo scratching more whereas last year I was grinding juggling a lot more. Went in not really expecting to beat IQ/KV anyways, they're clearly better scratchers than me but they could always drop the ball or not submit LOL. Thanks man, would be nice to keep up the momentum this year for sure... just gotta work the new skill set into some routines now hehe.

Jon - I only sped it up 5%, doesn't count.

Jimmy - yessir, I e-mailed them and told them if they sponsored that bum Vajra they might as well sponsor anyone, they said good point and sent me a mixer

Deft - absolutely, pitch is so essential and something a lot of people sleep on... you can do so much more with a single technique and good pitch control than you can do with 100 techniques that are all monotone.

Chris - thanks man! that's great to hear. I've been watching your ODD production vids this week, must've had something to do with it ;)

Broke - IIRC you're not the biggest fan of Doc Jeezy beats right? he produced all of em for round 2 :d

Lotus - haha thanks man, I don't wanna be ruining anybody's self esteem but I hear you tho... I was on suicide watch after I cut with IQ for 45 mins of some weird ass tempo I never cut on like 112 bpm and he was ripping it like he never cut on anything else :wacko:

haha thanks to you for the shrimps Yoshi :d I literally JUST got them so they were useable like a week before this vid... I found out that for me using 2 fingers makes the sound a bit more defined and gives me better control so I can do them slowly as well as double time. Still cleaning them up tho. Red Jacket?? Damn that's a heavy comparison, I'm gonna get a big head (in b4 it's already big)

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

How do you do shrimps, pls thnx?

Are you just swiping your thumb back and forth on the record so it flicks it a little bit back and forth?

Here's the original video:

But I didn't really get it until Yoshi broke it down better on tinychat. You're basically alternating between a thumb swipe forwards, and on the backwards you're gripping the record with your thumb and swiping backwards with your fingers (sort of the inverse of what you just did, your middle finger or fingers become your thumb). It's like a more clever way of doing swipes because you can alternate between thumb and fingers and it's a lot easier to do quickly or for longer periods of time.

EDIT: It's also incredibly hard to explain, I dunno if that made much sense, lol.