Name that sxratch

danny vanalli

What is it when you do like 3/4 of a chirp flair and then reverse it? So you start with the fader open, do a chirp, then half a 1-click flair, then do the same in reverse, with 4 sounds each direction. It's 2 clicks each phase with 4 sounds.

Edited by danny vanalli

it sounds like a thing i do based on a paradiddle.

your record movement is FB F/F BF B/B

and a paradiddle is L R L L R L R R

where / is the click within the flare... like i dont mean that theres a tear by the 2Fs....

i also have a double para variation

this man is a drummer ^ :d the paradiddle = autobahn scratch, except the OP's scratch is starting with a chirp rather than a slice

nah an autobahn isn't a paradiddle.

autobahn is 3 triplets isn't it? and a paradiddle isn't

yea I think Goonie is mistaken

EDIT: actually I think there's actually 2 versions of the autobahn that Rafik does in the original vid, and 1 version could be a paradiddle, but the more common/fast version isn't.

Perhaps I'm thinking of a variation of the autobahn, but I've seen it done different ways and called the same thing.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Haha, shame i'm not better at actually doing them.

On the realz tho, i've been practing these for a while as part of my catchy-ly titled "learn all the scratches i can do backwards and learn to flow fwd and bwd between them" offensive.

I've been enjoying trying to get down doing cresent flares fwds then bwds continuously (i.e. fwd, bwd, fwd, bwd, etc), to help get up my 3 clicker speed.

Can I get all emo now because nobody answered in my identical thread? http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=34638

I pretty much knew that some would do it but everyone??

The similar looking Autobahn can be found here (autobahn slow): http://www.johnny1move.co.uk/scratch/

Aren't Paradiddles done with Stabs?

And what's a double Paradiddle? RLRLRR LRLRLL = Chirp, Chirp, Forward-Flare, then mirrored?

Guest broke

Try it with babies (instead of chirps) and go really fast. I think either Muzzell or Tigerstyle showed me that.

A friend of mine taught me a scratch like that. You can change the number of babies and clicks for interesting variations.

Does it have a name?

Guest broke

Does it have a name?

Chile calls them Walking Baby Flares. Scroll all the way to the bottom: http://dj-chile.com/scratch-tutorials/core-techniques-series

It might seem at first glance like a walking scratch, but it's mirrored: baby > flared forward > reverse baby > flared backward.

Or you can chirp instead of baby. That's along the same lines as what you guys are talking about, isn't it?

"Walking Baby Flare (AKA Toddler Flare) -A Baby scratch followed by a forward record motion with a Flare click, then a reverse baby followed by a reverse record motion containing a Flare click."

Pretty sure, that's what he does towards the end of the video. It's probably one of those scratches with 10 different names (how about "Ping Pong"?)

Guest broke

"Walking Baby Flare (AKA Toddler Flare) -A Baby scratch followed by a forward record motion with a Flare click, then a reverse baby followed by a reverse record motion containing a Flare click."

Pretty sure, that's what he does towards the end of the video. It's probably one of those scratches with 10 different names (how about "Ping Pong"?)

Oh yeah i remember when that first got posted. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I came up with the name 'Toddler'. Man, my memory is shot. :$

It's a bit of a misnomer though IMO. Depends on how you look at it I suppose.