The best and worst DJs you ever saw live?

Steve

Best: X-Press 2 at Glasto, Erol Alkan at Fire, D-Styles in Bangkok, Tom Middleton/Medicine 8 in Sheffield, Jon Carter in Ibiza. It's hard to pick one. Also loved seeing Sasha at Cream one time.

Worst: Last month in Hua Hin we went to this bar. Some Danish dudes had hired it out for the night and were DJing, as they proudly came up and told me. DJing meant playing tunes from Youtube on a computer. They played a load of hair rock "classics", often more than one at the same time. At one point they took requests, so I asked for Super Sharp Shooter. They played the intro and then sacked it off and went for Guns n Roses.

Guest Symatic

kentaro is a beast of a dj! Edan is also one of the best i've seen... rappin and juggling at the same time like j live... dope

d styles is obviously ridiculous on the cut, and i love his dj sets too, would love to see him do more trick mixes and stuff, or see what he does with a funk set like shortkut and derrek d (

)

I went to see j rocc recently and was ready to get my mind blown. it was shit. really wanted to see some juggles and trick mixes. didnt get any. alright tunes i guess...

Ive def seen worse dj's, and probably been a worse dj, but that one was something i was really looking forward to cos i know he's so good, and he didnt do sheeiiiit.

gotta love aba shanti-i - can't go to his gigs and leave in a bad mood!

• Like 1

From a technical stand point I think Kentaro's up there as one of my favourite DJs (definitely one of the best to bring turntablist routines to a club environment), but I don't always like his selection (his 'My Favourite Songs' mix being an exception as it's brilliant) but he always delivers a crowd pleasing set.

Guest loop skywalker

Lets not forget though..best or worst,it is the artists that djs play that deserve the credit..a dj is merely a jukebox.

Lets not forget though..best or worst,it is the artists that djs play that deserve the credit..a dj is merely a jukebox.

I'm yes and no on this. It's the selection and skills that makes the party too :) A producer with no dj skills/selection ability does not equal a party but at the same time a DJ with good skills and selection does not equal a party without the songs they select. It's a two way thing in my book.

• 3 weeks later...