Hiding your records

djfoly

My mate recently asked a fellow dj about a record on one of his mixes! He was told that the policy of the nameless dj was that basically he didnt tell other people what he was playing!

Where does everyone stand in this? As someone who was so firmly vinyl back in 2007 I have almost come full circle and cannot handle the bullshit of it! My resonse would've been fine ram it up yer geer then ya dos cunt!

Ps hiya everyone!

Hiya! I saw a pic you posted on instagram the other day and it dawned on me that you are Macklemore's doppelganger.

Anyways... I think it's kinda stupid and dickish to be so protective about the tunes you use. But also think people should find their own shit so kinda both parties are at fault but the DJ is the bigger dick since he's not turning people on to new music... it's other's people's music for gods sake. Give them credit.

Guest Symatic

sup foly! yeah it's kinda bullshit these days, but keeps people on their toes. for me the whole industry is changing, i download alot of free beats so im always keen to promote them so the producer gets a rep, but sometimes you wanna keep it under wraps

• Like 1

I remember Jon saying about guys coming up and askin loads of stuff and the biting his while set obviously thats a wack game but asking about a record you really like here and there to a fellow dj? Its just so ghoulish!

I think not knowing what something is adds to the excitement of record hunting for DJs but I think you shouldn't hide stuff forever, like Diggla said, at the end of the day DJs who 'just DJ' are gigging by playing other peoples' tunes and those artists deserve credit so they can gain more attention. I tend to wait a few days before adding a tracklist to a mix I've uploaded, but will always add one eventually.

• Like 1

Yeah I felt kinda weird asking people to swap music when I was visiting (especially Jon) but really I think it depends on who it is too.. I mean, for example I don't really gig much and don't really put out mixes... so if I have a tune it will be for the couple times a year I play out or for having fun at home. I would be hesitant if it was a gigging DJ asking another and you knew he/she was gonna jack your set. I like sharing setlists and music tho b/c a lot of times people have more knowledge about specific stuff that I wouldn't even know where to start -- Jon, Matt, Wax, doob, jimmy are all over my head with specific stuff. IMO it's not about the tune but what you do with it. I don't care if the same song is on a bunch of different mixes.

Matts always been loads fun to trade with and he doesn't seem to have any secrecy about it which I think is cool... and he has some great stuff too... hopefully he got some cool things from me in return.

I think its aBout the context in which you're asked. If someone is just really into a tune then its weak to not put them onto it...but if someones snooping to bite your shit then mayBe a bit of privacy is ok.

• Like 3

I think its aBout the context in which you're asked. If someone is just really into a tune then its weak to not put them onto it...but if someones snooping to bite your shit then mayBe a bit of privacy is ok.

i think this just about sums up my views.

is there really that many djs biting other djs tho? and also if you're playing something super new or a dub, arent the chances that they wont be able to get their hands on it anyway.

• Like 1

I just don't care if they have it! When I listen to a mixtape and like the songs I go out and get the ones I can. I dont then go straight out and put them all on a mixtape and pretend that I was the only one to ever do it! At the end of the day we didnt make the music lets all enjoy it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on the situation.

I can understand why early hip-hop DJs who were playing block parties would cover up labels.

In a club situation today, if someone asked me for the name of a song I'd give it to them. If someone asked me for my entire playlist, I'd probably say no, although it depends who was asking.

With online mixes I always post a track listing. I hooked another DJ up with a bunch of the songs I used in my 79 mix cos he said he wanted to try and make his own version. I don't know if he ever did. None of my mixes have ever been even close to being examples of "deep digging" though, but I'd feel the same way even if they were. I only play music I like/love, so if another DJ takes those songs and makes a great mix out of them it's another mix I'll be adding to my collection.

• Like 3

1 thing (maybe the only thing) about being a vinyl-only dj is that a lot of the stuff (well, some of the stuff) I play isn't easily found in digital format. You'd have to scour blogs. Not available in Beatport or itunes.

I feel a bit weird when someone's staring at the label all night, turning their head awkwardly to read it. A while ago I was djing and someone stopped the record so he could read it! I reached up and slapped him in the face, and then I noticed that he was FUCKING HUGE and ornery-looking. I then completely bluffed being really ornery & scrappy myself and kind of dazzled him (he was drunk). Later that night he took someone else outside and beat the shit out of him. Glad it wasn't me. Found out later he is a "fighter", as in he gets paid to fight other guys or whatever. Will be reining in future slaps.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...