Thumb against fingers

ericuk

like when Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington ran out of new material, they just kept on revisiting things of the past, I am about to also. I had done a tasty video on one click flares but instead I'm still going on about this

• Like 1

I cringe at the thought of calling them "Jelly fish wobbles" or something random like that, but then again, it would be so much easier to call them something instead of saying 'tears from flexing the knuckle, by hitting your finger with your thumb instead of the record, over 2 click flares'.

There's a project for 2014. Snatchlopedia.

Dear god, that sounds so good Eric... best name it.

We're all about naming shit down here - I've got a scribble into crab combo I can barely do I've imaginatively named "Scabs" and Paul has his 2-click flappy hand thing that he can never quite explain to anyone else called "Dutch Flaps"... obviously.

That Kwote bloke on Facebook put up a post asking for his followers name the scratches they would like him to do a tutorials for next - I was straight in with Scabs and Dutch Flaps, but he dismissed me like I was some kind of piss-taking retard.

• Like 2

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Flange stains? Flappy choppers? Flange rubs actually sounds like the best name.

I've got that one where i do super quick micro snakes to do loads of quick, small tears which i've been calling Rattlesnakes, which is probably the best, most appropriate name i've ever come up with, even though i think peeps have already done them before me so they've probably already got a name.

Jeez, though, that's super good, Eric. Will chief/learn

I had a go at these and i can do them okay on my strong side, but not as powerfully as Eric's mighty paws, but i think they're gonna be a no go on my right as they were jacking up my artheritis. I think i might be able to alter my snaps (which i do quite well) on the right to have a similar sound, though, so all is not lost.

Big up the flange rubbers!!!!!!

The one thing ive noticed with practising record movements from the knuckle/fingers, after a while I can feel the tendons in my wrist are strained. Arthritis has to be a bitch.

what percentage of people are double jointed in their fingers? on all my fingers my first knuckle (connected to my hand) can bend back 90 degrees if I manipulate it but only about 30 on its own, second knuckle doesn't go back at all, it'd break first (i think that's normal for most people?), and the top one will bend back a few degrees if there's pressure on it...

I do tears by moving finger tips towards base of hand and back - if they're quick the movement is quite small, big slow ones go more or less all the way. Dstyles is probably the best example I can think of of someone whose range of movement in their knuckles is such that they can keep the pads of their fingers on the record and use their second and first knuckles to make the movements.

How many people are like me vs D, and can you train the flexibility into your fingers?

its just regular stretching isnt it? like anything, right now i cant touch my toes, but if i tried abit more every day i'd get there.

muscles and ligaments are muscles and ligaments, yougetme.

Which particular activity are you partaking in that requires you to so readily touch your toes?

my fingers arent really that bendy, I just trained them to do unnatural things (oo er missus). My left hand was retarded when I started scratching with it and now it can do all types of alien things... things my right hand cant even do yet, while my right hand is more able, it just hasn't learned much yet.

I don't think it can hurt to be double jointed but I don't believe that its a requirement either.

WARNING! It's not that great to be double jointed, that's part of my arm based problems. Whilst i'm not totally double jointed i've got too much elastin in my ligaments which means they get over stretched and put too much strain on the muscles. At least that's what the docs said. My arms are feeling quite fucked at the mo', i'll probably have to have 4-5days off :(

I can put my hands flat on the floor when bending to touch my toes, which the docs said was one indicator, in case anyone's worried and wants to see for themselves. Oh yeah, and i can bend my fingers about 80 degrees. WHAT A MASSIVE BENDER I AM!

Still at least i can do it at all, there were periods where it wasn't even an option they were so fucked. Also, my Arthritis ain't that bad and hasn't been for ages, touch wood, and moving loads via a modified fader technique which kind of apes the exercises the hospital gave me seems to really help, counter intuitively. If i don't do it it seems to seize up more. Though that hand does feel much more tired in a more rapid time space now i can compare it to my other side more fairly, what with being more properly ambi' these days.

That's all from Dr Phil's tedious health update.

What was this thread about again?

This entire thread's been about flange rubbing prior to that, so i guess it's in keeping with the general tone.

That's the confusion that can arise when you have your practice sessions on Hamstead Heath.

Also, in the light of that revelation it makes me understand why you seemed so scared when you said Mo' gave you a massive thumbs up.

To degrade this thread by talking about this technique again, it's annoying me learning the old flange rubs cos sometime i can do it really well and sometimes i can't do it at all, there's no middle ground for me with it. :blink: Hmm, note to self: must try harder.

I think the trick could be to use the thumb on record technique first, so that you get the hand strength, flexibility and general control. Once you get it down with thumb on record, your hand starts to realise that the thumb is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot and isn't needed. If anything, it causes more skippage.

When I learned left hand bumpy knuckles (all those years ago before people did it), I did so by initially using the thumb on record. I wasn't trying to do bumpy knuckles but as the technique evolved, the thumb got the sack.

Just to complicate things, you can also use your forefinger to flick a tear.