Time Machine Question

Jon

I recently bought a new external hard drive (a model kindly suggested by Steve :) ) to use as a Time Machine back up drive for my DJing laptop.

I occasionally experience audio drop outs in Scratch Live, which has me thinking that my hard drive is slightly damaged or needs reformatting. I want to reformat my laptop's hard drive and then use the external time machine drive to put all my data back onto the laptop hard drive once I've reformatted it.

This brings me to the following question: if I've been using my external hard drive as a time machine copy of my laptop's hard drive, will the time machine hard drive also have copied the hard drive issues of my laptop hard drive? Is it better for me to reformat my external hard drive as a regular external hard drive and then back up all my data onto it, then reformat my laptop's harddrive, then put all the data stored on the external hard drive back onto my laptop's hardrive and then reformat my external hard drive to use as a time machine again rather than reformat my laptop's hard drive and use my current time machine backup to put all my data back on the laptop?

Guest Symatic

If you've got plenty of space left on your external, plug it in, go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, and add another partition to it, big enough to accommodate the whole of your internal drive.

then get Carbon Copy Cloner and make an image of your drive, and put it on your new partition.

then you can reformat your internal drive, and then carbon copy clone the image back onto it.

I think Time machine might be able to do the same thing, not sure

Have you ruled out other possible causes of the audio dropouts before doing this? Is there a version of chkdsk for Macs, so you can check to see if the drive has issues?

Cheers Steve.

I just did some googling and found this can be achieved in Disc Utilities.

I ran 'Verify Disk' in the First Aid section and it's discovered some errors, so I'm currently making an up to date time maschine back up, then use Disc Utilities to fix the issues.

Guest Symatic

yeah steves right you should rule out other possiblities first.

have you done all the normal serato troubleshooting like rescanning tracks?

• 2 weeks later...

Lol at the obvious misinterpretation of this thread!

Incidentally, I HAVE invented a time machine. I fashioned it out of an IKEA wardrobe. My recent studies have seen me entering the aforementioned device and after sitting in there for a few minutes, when I exited, I was five minutes into the future.

It's in the infancy stages at this juncture, but a second test allowed me to watch an episode of 24 on my iPad and, despite onscreen indicators, I had watched a full hour in the life of Mr Bauer and upon my emergence, it was only 42 minutes later. I am going to name this phenomenon a "Bauer Hour" and it applies to any activity that you assume will last an expected length of time, but invariably prematurely terminates. For example, seeing your favourite live musician, a night out granted by the wife or sex with an attractive female.

My journey continues...

Lol at the obvious misinterpretation of this thread!

Incidentally, I HAVE invented a time machine. I fashioned it out of an IKEA wardrobe. My recent studies have seen me entering the aforementioned device and after sitting in there for a few minutes, when I exited, I was five minutes into the future.

It's in the infancy stages at this juncture, but a second test allowed me to watch an episode of 24 on my iPad and, despite onscreen indicators, I had watched a full hour in the life of Mr Bauer and upon my emergence, it was only 42 minutes later. I am going to name this phenomenon a "Bauer Hour" and it applies to any activity that you assume will last an expected length of time, but invariably prematurely terminates. For example, seeing your favourite live musician, a night out granted by the wife or sex with an attractive female.

My journey continues...

Nothing highlighted the shortcomings of "The American TV Hour" quite like 24!