I was really high

Guest Dylan Taylor

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Deeswift

Nice file. The only negative thing I can think of is it reminds me of quite a lot of other scratch DJ's. So many people are sounding the same these days. If you can make your style more recognizable, that'd be a good thing.

Yeah, all beef aside Dee is right on point. I listen to 10 amazing DJs that sound just like you. SIGMA who people have said sounds like a combo generator or that he doesnt flow like you, but when you hear SIGMA scratch yknow its him. He has his on style. I can only hope to gather skill as you do and and add my on "flare" and style to stand out.

Guest Dylan Taylor

To Dee Swift-Other scratch dj's? I've talked about style and cutting a lot with, who I view are important scratchers' and again, this is some super stoned shit, and with an electro beat, which I rarely ever cut to, I feel like I repeat myself a lot, one reason why I don't cut over them, but aside from that I'd say, there are A LOT of cutters that sound like qbert, and it's easy to get away with, cause it's basically pure, on point technique. And when someone listens to that person they say "nice this, or nice that scratch" coo, whatever. I'm not going to debate the quality of music invovled in it, but there are mad people that cut like qbert. I've never heard anyone sound, or attempt to sound like dave, ric or scratchers' who get me mad hyped, why? because it's WAY beyond techniques, and it's a their voice, no videos will do positive vibes justice, or none that i've seen yet. I will agree that some parts are predictable, but a lot of solos, even on traditional instruments are, one person who can throw a phrase off like know other is Dave, and that shit makes you laugh when you hear it, cause you got thrown off. Excess and Mike are sick, but predictable in their phrases sometimes, but they are speaking, and honest, Mike being maaaaad honest, and those beyond scratch technique qualities is what is important to me.

To Gabe-10 amazing scratch DJ's that sound like me? Let me know...I'd like to hear. All the amazing scratch dj's I know are individual, I can hear it, and I know others can hear it too. Yeah, you might think nobody sounds like Sigma...but nobody sounds like William Hung (the American Idol loser) or sings like Ashlee Simpson, or scratches like Tony Loomin. When you hear those people who know it's them.

Again, this file isn't for real. Just sharing, bored at the time, but we discuss shit, then coo...

Guest Dylan Taylor

No matter how musical scratching Ahhh's and Fresh's are, they can never hit me like a good composition can. It's just another way to express through the instrument, but limited. I can't believe cats still get excited over pure cutting.

No matter how musical scratching Ahhh's and Fresh's are, they can never hit me like a good composition can. It's just another way to express through the instrument, but limited. I can't believe cats still get excited over pure cutting.

each to their own its a sound in its own right.

I dont dig gunkhole videos or compostions or most shit put together on a turntable, why? Because you can get better results from studio equipment, more complex drum patterns, and more complex melodies, but again each to their own right. Thats why when some people I know heard FUGA they laughed because fuck how its made its how it sounds, it was disrespectful yeah, I didnt agree with it but its not all that, fuck concepts focus on sounds. Scratching Its an aquired taste. I like watching straight up cutting videos its a break from what I normally listen to everyones different.

I dont dig gunkhole videos or compostions or most shit put together on a turntable, why? Because you can get better results from studio equipment, more complex drum patterns, and more complex melodies, but again each to their own right. Thats why when some people I know heard FUGA they laughed because fuck how its made its how it sounds, it was disrespectful yeah, I didnt agree with it but its not all that, fuck concepts focus on sounds. Scratching Its an aquired taste. I like watching straight up cutting videos its a break from what I normally listen to everyones different.

So why play the drums? So why play a guitar? So why play anything as is? We can all just go into the studio and do everything through virtual instruments and make it nice and sterile.

That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a while.

The turntable creates a natural aesthetic like any instrument does, just cause you don't know to play it right...or just don't like it doesn't make it pointless.

"...fuck how its made its how it sounds" - Milk

and then you also say "I dont dig gunkhole videos or compostions or most shit put together on a turntable, why? Because you can get better results from studio equipment, more complex drum patterns"....so which is it? How its made or how it sounds??? You just said BOTH are more important than each other while contradicting yourself...hahaha.

Edited by Real-Izm

Guest Dylan Taylor

LOL. I'm not even going to spend time discussing that. Geez.

Real-Izm I play the drums and I play the guitar, when i said studio did I mean hardware? No. A studio is what you make it. Dont assume.

Ok maybe my post wasnt clear.

No matter what they do on the turntable, it will not sound as good as any other instrument, thats why when I showed people FUGA they thought it was wack, I couldnt give a fuck about my ability, its just can you create proper guitar melodies, and drum fills, using the turntable... I bet you cant... It will always sound no way near as fluent... Its like people who try and flip piano melodies with notes an shit, it just doesnt sounds as good as the real thing.

Real-Izm do a drum pattern, and compare it to a REAL drummer... if the whole turntable composition thing was so fucking great dont you think more people would have adopted the idea...

There has always been more interest in battle cuts, why because its different... its a sound no one can copy or imitate on any other instrument... that GunkHole shit anyone can do using instruments... Why do it on the turntables... I know it was out of order but thats why they got heckled in the UK, because its boring...

Though I suppose in the words of Ricci Rucker "I wouldnt understand" Hahaha.

Like I said how its made, all im saying is people who use the proper instruments will always sound better than flipping shit on a turntable untill someone can prove me wrong id take the whole turntable thing serious... Thats why I dont get bored of straight up cuts its a unique sound...

Why do you think Ricci Flips shit in CE Pro cos he cant get those results on a turntable.

Break down my shit try and prove me wrong I dont care. Untill you can give me a fucking rendition of Greensleves on the turntable I wont take it seriously hahaha.

Edited by milk

Guest Mike Reezy

this is where I get the "im too cool vibe from you"

I mean, I understand what youre saying about hitting you, I would rather listen to a composition than solo kutts when chilling.

But on the other hand solo kuttn is the illest shit ever. SO much fun!

I feel like by saying that comment you think you have reached the pinnacle of solo kutting and evolved into something else.

I dont think that is true for anyone.

Musical shit is coo too.

Ive said many times before, if one had to go either musical turntable shit or solo kutting, I would say fuck the musical shit

Guest Deeswift

Me too, I'd turn to other instruments to make music with and carry on enjoying scratching for what it is rather than trying to be too anal about it. This is why I will always love Qbert and the old ISP, cause they saw the whole thing as FUN first.

i just look at the musical thing with scratching like live sampling or something, its just like sampling for hiphop or whatever but playing it off your turntable instead of clicking a mouse/button. solo scratching is obviously better though. but i do think both are fun to do.

Real-Izm I play the drums and I play the guitar, when i said studio did I mean hardware? No. A studio is what you make it. Dont assume.

No matter what they do on the turntable, it will not sound as good as any other instrument, thats why when I showed people FUGA they thought it was wack, I couldnt give a fuck about my ability, its just can you create proper guitar melodies, and drum fills, using the turntable... I bet you cant... It will always sound no way near as fluent... Its like people who try and flip piano melodies with notes an shit, it just doesnt sounds as good as the real thing.

Real-Izm do a drum pattern, and compare it to a REAL drummer... if the whole turntable composition thing was so fucking great dont you think more people would have adopted the idea...

There has always been more interest in battle cuts, why because its different... its a sound no one can copy or imitate on any other instrument... that GunkHole shit anyone can do using instruments... Why do it on the turntables... I know it was out of order but thats why they got heckled in the UK, because its boring...

Like I said how its made, all im saying is people who use the proper instruments will always sound better than flipping shit on a turntable untill someone can prove me wrong id take the whole turntable thing serious... Thats why I dont get bored of straight up cuts its a unique sound...

Why do you think Ricci Flips shit in CE Pro cos he cant get those results on a turntable.

Break down my shit try and prove me wrong I dont care. Untill you can give me a fucking rendition of Greensleves on the turntable I wont take it seriously hahaha.

The turntable is supposed to sound like a turntable....which is as infinite as the templates (records) available to you. People hated on synths and moog albums when they were the "scratch tracks" of the era when Moog albums were everywhere.

I understand why people might not feel Gunkhole but they brought a freestyle angle to their shows much like early jazz (yes I'm sure we've all heard the comparison before)....and I think that it won't have the same effect of importance in turntable music until you have a bigger span of events to compare it to...perspective is EVERYTHING in terms of importance in progression of anything. Free jazz may not be for everyone but the exercise in itself is almost (if not more) important than the music being made by those guys during that period.

Also, the idea of the turntable as a full on incorporated instrument hasn't been done by many and when it has it hasn't been flipped that well beyond the expected gimmicks (Linkin Park / Limp Biskit) It hasn't been adopted because the number of actual COMPETENT scratch musicians is very mimimal. I'd say there's less than 20-25 active and known heads doing it and less than half of those are really getting much shine at all yet.....in the next 3-5 years there's going to be a big change with dj's...you can see it coming already.

Anyhow....Of course any group of musicians resonably talented could do the same music as gunkhole....within certain boundaries. Again you lose focus of pushing the limits of the instrument itself which is the goal. There is a logic to progression....look at your music history and its all very apparent.

http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0HTUC5E...8T1788FQK597GZY

Only tone I had on hand but I think I proved my point. ;)

Edited by Real-Izm

Only tone I had on hand but I think I proved my point.  ;)

:(( :(( hahahaha!!

And I agree with steelio that compositional stuff is basically mostly digging. It's funny that a lot of the people talking shit about solo cuts are people who obviously think enough of them to have gotten really good.

The turntable is supposed to sound like a turntable....which is as infinite as the templates (records) available to you. People hated on synths and moog albums when they were the "scratch tracks" of the era when Moog albums were everywhere.

I understand why people might not feel Gunkhole but they brought a freestyle angle to their shows much like early jazz (yes I'm sure we've all heard the comparison before)....and I think that it won't have the same effect of importance in turntable music until you have a bigger span of events to compare it to...perspective is EVERYTHING in terms of importance in progression of anything. Free jazz may not be for everyone but the exercise in itself is almost (if not more) important than the music being made by those guys during that period.

Also, the idea of the turntable as a full on incorporated instrument hasn't been done by many and when it has it hasn't been flipped that well beyond the expected gimmicks (Linkin Park / Limp Biskit) It hasn't been adopted because the number of actual COMPETENT scratch musicians is very mimimal. I'd say there's less than 20-25 active and known heads doing it and less than half of those are really getting much shine at all yet.....in the next 3-5 years there's going to be a big change with dj's...you can see it coming already.

Anyhow....Of course any group of musicians resonably talented could do the same music as gunkhole....within certain boundaries. Again you lose focus of pushing the limits of the instrument itself which is the goal. There is a logic to progression....look at your music history and its all very apparent.

Only tone I had on hand but I think I proved my point. ;)

That was a nice file, but what im saying is... if it was a very very complex jazz solo on piano, it could not be imitated no matter what the turntablists skill. The fact is untill technology advances, you cannot make the or perform the key changes quick enough or use chords at the same time. Thats all I was saying... If I wanted to do that Id use a Piano etc, like DeeSwift said, I like to keep scratching what it really is.

As for progression yes the art form is progressing but to me, and this is my opinion the turntable will never be a respected instrument if people are going to flip samples of piano/guitar instruments all the time, why because complexity is limited. You simply cannot perform really complex pieces hence why that shit hasnt been implemented into studios world wide as a recording base for a musical piece. As well as sound issues I might add.

I can see there is a progression taking place, but I dont see it going anywhere in the musical stakes, when IMO I believe more professional results can be used from actual instruments.

Hence why I said Ricci has to flip in CE Pro because he cannot scratch drums like he can flip them, you simply cant do it to incorporate rolls, kicks, snares, hi hats, fills on a turntable... into a really complex pattern. Shit I didnt even add velocity an swing there... I just dont see it happening.

I wasnt being as asshole I was simply replying to CY Taylor why I prefer solo cuts, my tastes are different to everyone elses and I wont hate someone because of that or belittle them I was just replying thats all... People will always have a different outlook on music, your idea of the use of the turntable or how it progresses will probably be a lot different to mine, but whatever life would be boring if everyone was the same... :)

not really read any of this but with regards to what you said milk about not being able to do very complex drum patterns on the table unlike you can on CEP or using other soft/hardware/real drums (which if my brain aint too shaterred from my mindless work was in reference to Ricci's stuff)...

I agree BUT (and yes it's a bit but, eh eh) imagine what 5 people with drumming skills on par or above ricci's could do together... cos that imho would get us to a stage where you'd hear drum patterns being done which cant be replicated anywhere else...

A good example, and a realistic one for now, is what the DJ Big Band in Belgium is doing... check em out www.djbigband.tk

12 DJs, one sax player, one singer. DJs are split into different sections, so you can have 3-4 guys doing just drums and have much more finesse and depth to the drum beat then one man drum scratching...

just a thought... :8