Alternatives to the APC40....

@ Dubba, thanks for the offer of a soundcard, luckily a friend over here is already loaning me one until I can save up for a new one.

Looking to getting a MOTU Ultralite as I need the additional outputs. Gutted though, the NI one served me very well and was extremely happy with it.

sorry to hear about that.

whenever i loose stuff i remember this quotation from a forgotten wise man:

"you own nothing that you can't loose in a shipwreck"

if you get bored of baked beans then add a bit of curry powder, and fry them up a bit, it's tasty as fuck.

i can't honestly remember where that quote came from,

i could have been either one in the original and you'd still get the idea. but maybe i like yours better

i suppose it depends if you interpret it in the sense than possessions are impermanent, or in the sense that the whole concept of possession is an illusion.

i'd never considered dying in the proverbial shipwreck, i always imagined myself washed up naked on the beach of some Mediterranean county where i couldn't speak the language. slowly learning the language and then making a living as a craftsman and marrying some local chick. i guess that marks me as an optimist.

of course if i do die in a shipwreck i'm not going to be in a position to give a shit about what happens to my midi controllers anymore.

nothing you can lose in a shipwreck, perhaps? it's a little 'deeper' then. although you can die in a shipwreck, so perhaps it's two layers deep.

also, the ocean is deep.

This thread is now beyond my intellectual grasp...

However, I am now happy.

To summarise.

Da Akai APC40 woz fukin shit. Gud riddance.

Da Livid CNTR L iz da win!!!

Took a little while to figure out and I need to learn how to write scripts to get it doing exactly what I want (with all the lights flashing) but so far so good, the faders feel a lot better and I now have 3 dedicated auxes per channel, no more scrolling through banks to get my King Tubby vibe on.

Will post a pic in the Set Ups thread once my new Space Echo and cables arrive :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update.....

Had the CNTRL R for a couple of weeks now, done two gigs and I have to say it's very cool. The faders are way smother than the APC and I much prefer the feel of the pots..... I also have enough and don't have to scroll through shitty menus to access them.

Looks like I'm turning into a Livid fan boy as I just copped the XPC 4K4F expansion box and am probably getting their Brain Jr for another project....

So my live rig now consists of...

Macbook Pro running Ableton.

MOTU Ultralite 3 soundcard

NI Maschine

Boss RE20 Space Echo

and I just copped a 'Whirlwind' Phase pedal, based on the original MXR 90 unit.

Livid CNTRL R + XPC 4K4F

Happy days!

Edited by assemblyworker