Periodic Matrix Of Scratches (for Broke)

Jon

Guest broke

I'm pretty sure this is an updated version of an earlier TTM chart I have, which I'll post when I get home.

On closer inspection, there seems to be a lot of 'filler' material on here, like notation for the same scratch done with a different skew, or orbit with different numbers of clicks in each direction. I guess they wanted to be as comprehensive as possible. It's probably a good thing for beginners to have.

That said, I'm not sure about a couple of the scratches on there. The delayed 3-click isn't what I call a delayed 3-click. And the autobahn doesn't look right for either of the two variations I know. It's interesting to see the delayed 2-click and boomerang are the same, just with different starting points.

Still, it looks pretty comprehensive. He's even transcribed some trick mixing and juggling. I'm not sure anyone could ever learn to juggle from a TTM.

I've used TTM a bunch over the years but for me it's always been a tool to explain scratches that you hear in a more efficient way. I don't really see a ton of use in having 1000 patterns you've never heard before and learning them... like the possibilities of patterns are literally endless, you can draw a sine wave and just start putting dots all over and end up with new patterns. I just feel like this is trying to replace what people should be doing with their imagination. Being able to create a pattern yourself from scratch (no pun) is a hugely important skill IMO and essential to developing a style.

I feel like I learned that the hard way cuz I used to just learn other ppl's patterns/known techniques and my style was really shitty (still feel like my style is a bit under-developed even), then I realized along the lines that the possibilities are so endless that after a certain point it's not about learning specific techniques and patterns, a big part of having a style is your choices of what to learn/not to learn based on how you like the sound. Like I chose to rinse boomerangs a bunch cuz I like the sound of them, I chose not to put much time into autobahns because most of them time they either don't sound good, or sound like a Rafik clone. I emphasize transforms a bunch and don't do 2 clicks often outside of boomerangs. I feel like it's the culmination of years of making those decisions on what you like the sound of and don't like the sound of that gives you a unique sound over time.

The idea was first put in my head ages ago by Deeswift (RIP), when I read something about him saying he basically never does tears and prisms and stuff because he felt those were "Q-bert's" scratches, and not really fundamental. At the time I was like "nah, tears are the most important scratch, Q-bert said so!" but I realize now it's like... choosing to not learn a certain technique because you're not interested in achieving that sound is as important as focusing on something and getting really good at it, cuz for every rhythm/pitch, there's like 10 alternative ways to get that with slight differences.

Anyways ranting over, I'm sure a lot of ppl get this already but this kinda thing seems a bit ridic to me. Like I have so many combo's/patterns in my head already that aren't refined and I learned from just freestyling and making stuff up, that I don't know why I'd need a huge page of stuff someone else wrote down... I already have like 2 years of stuff I could practice at any given time that came from my own brain.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest petesasqwax

I'm pretty sure this is an updated version of an earlier TTM chart I have, which I'll post when I get home.

that would be much appreciated man.