Aquaman combos/variations

Pich

Hi I'm new to this site as I've mainly been on scratch lounge but I can already tell this site seems a lot more informative :-)

I've recently learnt the aquaman and I really love the scratch it has a really good flow once you get into it but now I'm looking to take it futher and add some other scratchs to it, I know I should probley learn and explore myself which I have but I was just looking for some advice or guidence on where to go with it, like what is the best to go in or out of it and stuff pitch changes, I've tried things like 2 click forward then half a aquaman back and similar patterns,

There is a german guy on youtube but his vids don't seem to have any sound which suck

Anyway thanks for any help thats given

Welcome to the site man!

That scratch is like a 1-click flare orbit with a chirp at each end, yeah? I'm certainly not the best person to speak on this anyway, haha, but some of the other doods on here will probably be able to contribute.

Yeah Aquaman is just a boomerang that isn't continuous.

So it's really a slice (ghost click) to a Forward / Stab.

Then there's a gap, which doesn't exist in the boomerang

Then it's the opposite, so reverse slice then a back wards

Most people learn these before boomerangs. I don't personally have many combo's for em. I like to do the first half of it over and over again real quickly though, so slices to forwards. Although I guess you might think of these as babies to forwards dependsing on how you look at it. All symantics though innit really!

Guess you could look at boomflares? I don't like em personally but some people do em.

Thanks for the welcom, I haven't been practicing for long I started in june and have just been working on getting the different scratch techniques down the working on speed, the hardest part for me tho comes when I'm freestyling and trying to link all the techniques I've learnt while having a good flow and keeping everything in time, which sometimes can be frustrating lol but when I keep at it sometimes things start to click and the rewards are well worth it,

thanks for all your help I'll check out those boomflares when I get back.

I'm not sure if I'm actually doing the aquaman now then coz I don't think its the same as you described.. I found a vid on youtube from that german man and he showed it to be..

starts with open fader/record forward close fader/transform or stab moving record back/drag moving record forward. then mirror it back.

maybe this isn't the aquaman lol sorry guys.

one other thing.. does anyone have any tips for getting out of a rut? lately I've been finding I keep going the same old thing and the same old patterns, I guess I just gota keep at it untill things hopefully click

My advice if you've only been cutting that long is to fuck off aqua mans and boom flares and stuff and just focus on basics, this should also help you get out of ruts in my opinion - we've all been there.

Just focus on one scratch at a time, and see how many different ways you can do it. A good one is forwards / stabs.... you can literally do those forever with different rhythms using only that scratch. Do it along to the rhythm of a rapper or something. If you get those down nicely, they'll help tidy up all of your cuts, coz if you go a bit off you can just bust a few forwards and you're back on track.

Try different scratches at different rhythms and tempos. So like double time (Double time [is] doubling a rhythm pattern within its original bar structure.) or half time etc. Try to learn triplets if you don't know what they are too. Basically, these new rhythms will allow you to do the cuts you already know except differently.

You can also try adding a quick chirp in front of the cuts you know. This will essentially delay all the cuts you are already doing by one note. If you do this, you'll notice it changes how your cuts sounds dramatically. It'll make them sounds slightly off kilter but funky.

Tears are great for finding new directions and cleaning up your style. I dunno what combos you can do yet, but just keep doing them except throw in the odd tear. You'll notice it makes everything sound way funkier and it'll also help to clean up your record hand.

People always tend to get ahead of them selves when learning to scratch (I did myself) and it just ends up in everything sounding like a mess. Better focus on basics and rhythm before trying to learn "the next big thing"

Wow thanks a lot boss, you've given a lot of stuff to go with there and I think youre defo right I need to go back to basics and forget all these fancy techniques till I've got down the simpler ones, I'll be taking on board all that you said man thanks for your advise, its so gay when none of your mates are into scratchin coz youve only got yourself to learn from really and the net and although its a really big help like this site is, I bet its way better cutting with friends and bouncing ideas of eachother.

Yeh I am finding it really hard and sometimes think whats the point coz I'm not getting anywhere but then something comes together and I think to myself.. ahhh nice! I am finding it really exciting especially fiquring the whole scratch thing out.

I'm from a little place in the woods in gloucestershire, what about yourself boss?

lol I know I find his vids too long winded and this whole scratch notation thing.. I don't think thats a method all be using to learn, looks like you need a degree in music just to start lol

I wish I could come man I'd love that, ent nothing like that round yer which is a shame really,

Yeh I watched all them they helped me a lot along with some other people on youtube which been pretty helpful,

yeh thats one thing that I always want to know more about, the way he scratchs seems really good I keep comparing my scratchs to his and the way he does it is so different, obviously I won't ever be like that but what is it that defines his style?

he does seem take his hand off the record.. everything looks so fluid? I know that hes a master at it but theres something about his style I can't work out, like I release the record a lot when I scratch but I looks like he dont?

this probley dont make sence to you so I'll stop babbling lol

@darcy flattered that someone would think I know anything, but I'm actually quite out the loop as far as names and stuff goes! I often read people's posts and have to go research stuff to make sense of it all!

@pich I personally feel that learning from DIY1 or whatever might be a good idea to get a good foundation both technically and flow wise. I believe that it's easier to develop your own techniques and style when you already have a base to work from. Besides, I've been TRYING to sound like qbert for ages and it hasn't happened lol

It's just that he's got his record control down to a tee.

If you take painting for an example, he's Claude Monet and your still a 5 year old with a paintbrush up your nose (haha only kidding).

But pitching comes with practice, there's no short cut to getting that control I'm afraid... Just try to affect every little noise you make so it's slightly different and sounds melodic rather than just noise if that makes sense. Try and make subtle adjustments with your fingers to get nicer sounds.

Thanks again for your advise everyone :-) I've been practicing tonight but it wasn't a good practice lol, I did work on those forwards tho and see what you mean about working on the simple things, I practiced the march scratch too or the military and thats a nice simple combo which you can mix up a bit to get done nice sounds, hopefully il be snowed in tomorrow and get some more practicing in :-)