sigma this one is for you

except i didnt like that qbert.mp3 u sent me so i iused hill billy breaks instead, YEEEEEEEE HAW!!!!!!!!

kay is it me or do i sound like im trying too hard to be qbert here?

you can check it out if i want its really repetive and shitty or something i get so tense when i record for some reason.

http://djtyra.type-o.com/shitskratchtyra.mp3

Tyra

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Deeswift

Only thing I wish you'd done is repeated that combo and taken it further. Nice flow. I think you need to take your patterns as far as you can though, then it'd be doper.

sweeeeeeeeet...the hell is up with the recording though haha...its all wierd stereo...or something?!?! lol you like them crabbys alot but they sound FRESH! youre my idol lol. now give me some damn puncit! i know i owe you some but uhh..im hungry!

Guest Deeswift
HEH oh god i suck at fast skratching. but im very flattered coming from mr fashionista. jk uh yeah very repetitive and shitty even more shitty when i record. thanks thoughhhhhhh.

Naw, I don't find your cuts particularly repetitive, and yo, music needs repetition anyway. Look at any super dope scratch DJ, it's their patterns that make them what they are. I just wished you'd taken a combo like I pointed out in my first post and flipped it, repeat it, add varition. Imagine what D-Styles or someone would do with that. Patterns, and repetition (not too much of it though) is what it's all about, they create little hooks which are nice to your ear. An example is that Qbert track, Scroll Of The Wrist Beam. If there was no repetition, it wouldn't be right, but as it is he always comes back to the main theme of the scratch "f--re--sh!". Work on your hooks and you'll kill many DJ's.

BTW, you know I was just winding you up in that other thread, right?!! Pz.

:d

Tyra cool file. To me your cuts seems a lil over anxious. Very nice patterns but it cut benefit from pauses, cleaniness, and well like DeeSwift said, some hooks.

I'm always afraid scratching is going to turn into 80's guitar solos that I hate so much. I like clever hooks, and something unique.

Guest Deeswift

You hate 80's guitar solos? What about Allan Holdsworth? I can't even count the amount of amazing guitar solo's. Tony Macalpine (look at Maximum Security, 1987)? Steve Vai (all his best shit was done in the 80's)? If you listen to shit guitar players then I'm not suprised you hate the solo's, but some incredible guitar based music was made in the 80's.

Anyway, for the record, Tyra is the first female scratch DJ I have thought is any good. I am very suprised at the progress she has made in such a short time on the cut. On the other hand, she's musical already and plays multiple instruments, so has a good knowledge of rhythm and melody which speeds up learning other instruments dramatically. I give props.

Yeah! Def her skills are tight. If she was just another girl id say. Great file keep at it. But i know If i say something that might help her improve I believe she will fix it, as would any good musician.

When music gets to the point of showing off rather than portraying your emotions to me it looses it creditbility. All I can think when I hear 80's solos is mysogynistic men in tights with big hair trying to show off to get women to treat them bad.

No thats what I am sayin...I dont listen to that. Its just not my style. I been playin guitar for about 13 years and I can understand and respect and even mimick some of these patterns, but it just doesnt hit home with me. Someone playing a 2 chord song with conviction is better to me than a 20 min lifeless testostorone driven solo. If your gonna play a guitar solo, make your guitar weep, or scream, or laugh, but dont make it arrogant. Just my opinion.

Guest Deeswift

Whatever. This is a bit pointless cause IMO you have a close minded view that all guitar players from the 80's are all the same. A good musician is a good musician, it ain't all about Whitesnake. Again, listen to Allan Holdsworth's shit. Sand, Metal Fatigue and Atavachron all came out in the 80's. How can you fuck with those solo's? Nobody else plays like that. Your focus, when you talk about 80's guitar players, is probably on shit guitar players. Can you name some examples of which artists you are talking about?

I respect you as a musician Dee. I am DLing some Allan Holdsworth right now to check it out. I just feel like solos are mostly skill. And most peple can learn skills. But creating music and songwriting isnt always something that can be taught. Its a gift. Plus, a buch of high pitched notes, played really fast just isnt appealing to my ears. But i can see what you like. These guys have mastered a craft.

Sorry Dee! I am hating this track! I like the way the accents and time signature follows the guitar at parts. But i cant enjoy the "song" over all that damn squeeling. The bass guitar was funky. Its just sounds like random notes. Have you ever listen to the guitarist from tool. I dont even know if he really knows what he's doing, but he can play a one note solo that blows my mind. To me, very often,less is more.

Guest Deeswift

Mate, I give up. If you don't appreciate that, you are not a musician. And you come back with "Have you heard the guitarist from Tool"? Get outta here!