Just so you know what's going on with the site.....

Steve

In short.....

I updated the forum software. It broke stuff.

I reported the bugs. Some were marked as bugs, some were marked as "not bugs" and I was told that someone from tech support would need to come and take a look at the site. That's why I took it offline, but as nobody from tech support has done anything yet, I've decided to turn it back online. In the mean time, some of the things that I reported that were marked as "not bugs" have since been marked as bugs as other users have reported the same issues. This forum update is looking like a real dud unfortunately.

As for the Shoutbox, I've been forced to disable it because it's borked. The developer has quit tonight and closed all of his websites. He created/maintained numerous add-ons for forums - not just the Shoutbox - but he's quit developing all of them, presumably because of the hassle this update is causing.

So here's what we'll do now.....

I'll leave the site open. I haven't been told to turn it offline, so we'll see how it goes. We'll have to live with the bugs and issues in the forum software until they're worked out and an update is released. As for the Shoutbox, we'll just have to see what happens with that. Hopefully another developer will take over, or the original dev will have a change of heart.

And again, to clarify - we have to keep up to date with software updates, because they not only add new features, they often close security holes that could potentially allow someone to hack the site. I would love to have just left it as it was, because everything was working OK (for the most part), but that's not really a good idea in the long run. What I will do in future though, is wait to read reports from other users about a particular update before I go ahead and install it. I've installed many updates over the years, and it's only in 2012 that we've had 2 updates that have borked the site, but I'll still be more wary in future. Sorry for the down time.

@Sy - We paid for a perpetual license for the software around 6 years ago which gave us free updates for life (supposedly), but technical support for 12 months, which had obviously expired. I paid for 6 months of technical support so I could get some help with this borked update, but it was only $15. The whip rounds that I've done every year or two are for the hosting. We're paid up with that until August 2015. It's shit slow at the moment too, which isn't helping.

I dunno what Invision are thinking, but I'm becoming disillusioned with this forum software. It was great for years, but the last few updates have been shit and some of their design decisions make no sense to me, such as that horrible new quoting system.

Still, I have a feeling that version 3.4.1 will be released quite quickly, so we'll see what that brings!

Version 3.4.1 of the software should be releasing shortly, which fixes a number of bugs including the one with many links showing as plain text.

BTW, there's a new feature that's active now, although it doesn't work very well for me. If you quote someone and you want to reply to individual sections of their post - like breaking down each bit and replying to it - you can double tap enter inside the quote box and it will split it into 2. You can then continue doing that to split the quoted text up into many separate quotes as you want. This doesn't work properly in Opera, but give it a try and see how it works for you.