Forum software updated 28.11.2012

Steve

I've just installed a fairly major update to the forum software. The site might run slow (slower than normal - it's always kinda slow :p) for a while as I'm still tinkering in the background.

If you come across any bugs/issues, please post them in this thread, giving as much detail as you can. Thanks.

There is, but with the current version the sound is either on globally or off globally. There's no per-user setting, so it's turned off so that it doesn't annoy people. If they update it so individual users can turn it on or off, then I'll enable it (assuming I can fix the Shoutbox issues that have caused me to disable it altogether that is).

It's a bit of a ball ache really. The Shoutbox add-on was originally made by 1 guy who gave it away for free. He would respond to requests for new features and bug reports and release new versions every so often. He must have either got tired of doing it, or he had an offer he couldn't refuse, because the Shoutbox is now a paid add-on that's maintained by another company. After updating the forum software yesterday, the Shoutbox no longer worked properly. I uninstalled it and paid to get the latest version, except that's even worse, so I had to disable it. I've posted to the support forum, but as yet, nobody has replied.

I'm having issues quoting posts using Chrome on my mac. I click the quote button and it sends it doesn't to the quick reply box but the tags are invisible, it just shows the text, but when I preview my post it shows the quote. It's not a big deal if I'm quoting/replying, but it makes editing multiple quotes down to 1 impossible.

Right, I know what you mean then.

I reported it as a bug and one of the IPB employees replied to say that he thinks that it's designed to work this way, but he's going to check. If it was designed to work this way, I will tell them that I think it's a bad idea (because it is!) and that when you quote, it should include the name/date/time in the reply box as well, but obviously whether they change it is totally out of my control.

I would imagine a Tapatalk update will address that, but I'll look into it.

I'm pretty pissed off about the Shoutbox. The developer hasn't really said much so far other than "read the pinned help thread", which in this case was no help at all.

A lot of links in posts made before the upgrade have switched to plain text, which means that regular links are not clickable and links that would normally embed (such as YouTube links) are now just plain text links and the content is no longer embedded.

I've had about enough of running this site to be honest. It's just not worth the hassle any more.

That's by design. They've changed the way that quoting works, but are going to improve it in a future version.

The problem I have now is that the smaller issues I've reported to them have been marked as bugs and will be fixed in the next update, but the 2 bigger issues have been marked as "not a bug" and I've been told to submit a support ticket. The issue with that is, we paid for a perpetual license for this site quite a few years ago and that gives us free updates for life, but it only gave us technical support for a year or two, so they won't help with the bigger issues unless I pay for a new support package, which is like 200-something dollars. Sorry, but I ain't doing that. I can't afford it.

I've decided to leave the forum online. Here's the issues at the moment: -

The Shoutbox is borked, but until the core part of the forum is running properly, I'm not too bothered about this. Once the main forum is fixed, I will get the Shoutbox back up and running one way or another, because the site's not the same without it.

The quote issue mentioned above by Vekked/dopp is by design and will be improved in future.

A lot of links posted in old threads are now showing as plain text. I found another forum with the same issue and he has opened a ticket with Invision. They are going to look at his site and fix it and I have been advised to wait and see what the outcome of that is before doing anything else.

There is a minor cosmetic issue with manual quotes where you get 2 commas appearing after the name, like this: -

Test!

That's a bug that's already been fixed and will be rolled out in the next update.

If you find any other issues, please let me know!

Oh and Vekked, there's 2 reasons to update. The main one is to keep the site secure, cos if this place gets hacked, that could be the end of it. I dunno if you remember the SOS forum, but that was taken out by a worm that targeted vulnerabilities in the software they were using and it completely fucked their site to the point where it closed for good. The other reason is just to get the latest features, as they have added quite a lot of cool stuff over the years.