Do you make music for yourself, or for others?

Guest Deeswift

Guest Deeswift

Just been thinking about this. As the thread title suggests, when you create a piece of music, are you writing it because that's what you wanna hear, or do you make what you think other people would want to hear?

This is something i was talkin about a few weeks ago with someone i make music with.

I make shit for myself, i'll do something i want to hear. If other people enjoy it thats a bonus.

Guest $mooth

imo you should make music for yourself. If others like it then thats a bonus. If i wanted to make dnb for for majority, then I'd be a cheesemeister churning out clownstep for chavs.

Guest Deeswift

Cool. These are the kind of answers I was expecting. I know that many people write music with the intention of pleasing others (all very good if it's for someone close to you, I have done this too), but to make music mainly for others doesn't seem right to me. I guess they call it pop music.

And FLOL at Ryan's avatar...

I make music to please myself, but if others dont like it it doesnt please myself.

Why? I don't see any logic in that at all. Perhaps the right people haven't heard it?

It's an interesting topic though. Ricci Rucker has started to produce tracks for mainstream artists. He says he's doing it just for the money. To me that's 100% what a sell out is - doing it just for the money. I guess the question you should ask is would you compromise yourself musically if someone waved a wad of cash in your face? That's just what he's done and what many other artists have done in the past. Here's a remix that he's done for Mos Def: -

http://www.asisphonics.net/mosremix.mp3

Can anyone say Kanye West meets DJ Premier?

Guest Deeswift

I have turned down big opportunities in the past, so I guess I might not sell-out for a wad of cash. I didn't in the past, but then I'm older now, I could use some money to get things straight in my life. To be honest, I think success is something I could "switch on" if I wanted to, I'd just need to focus. That might sound strange, but I'm confident in my own abilites enough to know I could make money easily without producing wack shit. Somehow, the time isn't right for me yet, but one day...

Two mates of mine went to Uni in Manchester. They were always MCs and they started a band called King Rib. They had a fair bit of success in Manc from what I've heard - they had a track played by John Peel too. They got signed up by a record label that wanted them to perform a certain track. They said bollocks. The track came out by a group called Len I think. Shitty throw away pop rap stuff. It was in the top 40 a few years ago. I admire people who have the courage not to be swayed by cash.

Here's a section of one of the first King Rib gigs from 1998: -

http://www.danwebb.net/tunage/live.ram

I was their original DJ when they were in a group called 6 Gun. The main MC is now a web developer.

them six gun tracks were so dope

incantation mutilation it's a ritual, i kill another million and my shrink says it's habitual . . .

and other good lines like

i take a shit, the good book's in my palm. i thank the lord and wipe my arse on a psalm

they both had great voices.

Dan is still a good MC too. In the Surgery a while back there was some old school MC chatting the usual bollocks (I think it was that guy who does the scratching with his gob) and Dan was in there with his mates getting pissed. I convinced him to take the mic. He hadn't picked up a mic for years but he still ripped it for a few minutes.

I make music to please myself, but if others dont like it it doesnt please myself.

Why? I don't see any logic in that at all. Perhaps the right people haven't heard it?

I see what your sayin and i feel your opinion. But I have a huge open mind for music. So when I am creating a song the only rules are, dont play country. So when I create, i think of a target audience and i create for them. Even if its a made audience, it gves me dierection.

I make music for myself :$ . If anyone else likes it then that's also a plus :8 . I don't won't to make people listen to what I want them to listen to :(( . If they like it then that's cool but if they don't then that's okay :p .

for myself but sometimes i make the audiences input contribute a little to what i play but MY own music that i make is for myself only. djin is diff cuz ur gettin paid, anythings diff when theres $$ involved lol.

Sell out!! :p