Basic nLite Guide

Guest Deeswift

Guest Deeswift

.:. nLite .:.

Basic guide to creating a custom Windows disc

What is nLite?

The thread title should give you a clue. Here's a basic description from the nLite site:

It's a little bit of everything: slipstreamer, customizer, reducer, postinstall-cleanup tool and iso creator.

You can integrate a newer ServicePack into your XP-CD, but the really nice side of nLite is, that it's able to create very small XP ISO-images by cutting things out of it.

Also the XP-Installation from such a modified ISO will be small, very very small if you select many components to delete, and smaller still if you lay your hands on the installed system and do some more post-installation modifications.

An ISO of just the components which are not recommended to remove comes to ~160MB (XP). A similar w2k3 ISO is a bit bigger.

To install XP in less than 500MB drive space (with a shrunken or external pagefile.sys) is easy to realize. NLite has some powerful functionalities like xplite, but unlike that tool it doesn't leave the biggest part of the job for post-installation.

You have always thought it was impossible to have an XP-Installation without the bundled InternetExplorer or the MediaPlayer? Forget it...that is history! Have a look at nLite. You will be suprised what can be removed.

These descriptions here refer to the latest nLite-version i have tested till now: nLite v0.98.5. Because it is not a final release, some things may still change on the features or functionality before it is finalized.

More info here.

Ingredients

Start off by downloading the latest version of nLite, you will need the "self-extracting" version. You will also need the Alternative Runtimes. Both of these are from the nLite download page.

*This guide is dated 24th Feb 2005, so should you be reading this long after it was written there will most likely have been changes made. Check the main download page for any updates to the program. Also, bear in mind that nLite is currently still in beta form, but very close to version 1.0. It's solid enough to use confidently, but there are very minor bugs still to iron out.

Once you've downloaded the nLite program and the Alternative Runtimes, install nLite, then install the Alternative Runtimes in the same folder. This will most likely be C:\Program Files\nLite, unless you change the default installation path manually.

You will need a Windows XP disc (or any Windows operating system, as I understand nLite supports all of them). If you have your disc, put it in the drive and browse the files. Copy the entire contents of the disc into a folder on your hard drive. Give the folder a name. I usually title mine with the latest nLite version number, so currently it'd be "NinjaXP 0.99.8b", but you can call the folder whatever you want!

OK, now you have nLite installed, and you have your operating system copied from the disc into a folder. Next you will need a service pack and any hotfixes, etc. Assuming you have Windows XP, you'll need Service Pack 2. Choose a mirror here and download it. The filename is "WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe".

You will need any security patches / hotfixes that were released after SP2 came out, All these hotfixes are rolled into one by a guy named RyanVM. Find his site here. The latest release is Update Pack v1.2.0. This gives you all the up to date fixes as of 22nd Feb. RyanVM's Update Pack comes as a ".cab" file. There is no need to extract the contents.

It's a good idea to keep an eye open for any changes. Once this guide is a few weeks old there may be another update, so be sure to stay up to date wiith all hotfixes. If you don't, be sure to visit Windows Update after the operating system is installed and download the latest critical patches.

Now you have everything ~ nLite, runtimes, operating system, service pack, hotfixes.

Let's prepare the disc.

The Process...

Start nLite from the shortcut it placed on your desktop during the installation. Click the tasks you want to perform -- Integrate a Service Pack, Remove Components, Options & Tweaks, Integrate Hotfixes, etc. I tick all of these except for the option to include drivers. Reason why is because drivers for most hardware (such as ATi graphics cards) can become outdated very quickly, so I add the latest drivers later on after the operating system installation.

Now point nLite towards the folder with your operating system in. Once you've done that, click "Next". The rest is pretty self-explanatory. Do the same for the service pack and it will extract the data from the .exe file and streamline it into the installation. Insert RyanVM's update pack (this goes in the "Insert Hotfixes" section of the program). These things are all obvious and easy to understand. But now comes the tricky part -- choosing exactly what you want to remove! There can end up being an awful lot of stuff. The things that make a big difference to the size of your finished disc are drivers, etc. The default XP printer drivers for example weigh in at around 34MB. If you install your own specific drivers for your printer, remove the default ones. It goes without saying.

The golden rule here is if you don't know what it is, don't remove / change it. Many things are obvious, such as removing Messenger, MSN Explorer, Windows Media Player, and many of the tweaks, but other things you might not know about can give you trouble if you mess with them. I would advise for any novice to read up on the nLite forum. Just scan around, search for threads if you need to know something, read the sticky on what NOT to remove here. That's currently a 21 page thread, but it doesn't take long to scan through it. It could well save you time later on if you mess up. Put it this way, reading that thread will take less time than having to rebuild your OS and reinstall it.

If you are following this guide correctly, the whole process should be going well. It's even enjoyable if you're a nerd like me :8 Basically, everything should be self-explanatory.

OK, so you added the service pack, removed all the components and applications you don't need, added RyanVM's update pack, etc, you'll come to the section on creating an unattended installation disc. Here you will need to do all the basic stuff you do when installing Windows the regular way, like filling in your name, password, CD key, time zone, etc. nLite can fill in all this information and include it so you don't have to lift a finger once your disc is in the drive and ready to install. I do a "Fully Unattended" installation, it saves time during the installation process. You can disregard this section if you wish to fill out your details manually during the install, or you could create a semi-unattended disc, and so on. Have a look through the options and you'll see.

One of the last sections is the final tweaks. Again, many things in this part of the program are obvious, but if you don't know something, ask me and maybe I will be able to help, or hit the nLite forum, or search Google for your answers. You can go back and forwards through the various sections of nLite to double-check that you got everything right or make any more changes before the ISO is made.

Creating & Burning the .ISO

The last part is creating an ISO -- an "image" that you will be burning to disc. Again, self-explanatory once you're using the program. Give your .ISO a name and tell the program where to save it when you're ready. That's it, you should have your custom operating system ready to burn to disc. Just click the "Make ISO" button.

Burning ISO's is simply a case of opening the file with Nero or your chosen disc burning software. No need to change any settings, just right-click the ISO and choose to open it with Nero. The disc will start burning (presuming you have a CD in the drive!).

That's all there is to it. This guide assumes that most of you will have installed an operating system before and are familiar with the formatting of your drive, creating / deleting partitions, etc. If not, you can find this information all over the internet, or you can ask here at DV, should you need any assistance.

Yup. Windows XP Professional, fully service packed, weighing in at only 143MB.

:d

Additional info:

Notes on removing Windows Media Player

If you intend to remove Windows Media Player, but still need support for Windows format files such as .WMA, you will need to install the right codecs. If, for example, you use foobar2000 as your main audio player, the application will pop up an error mesage upon startup complaining about lack of support for WMA. Solution: install WMP 10 Stream & Codecs. If you need these codecs, ask me and I will host them on my webspace. For some reason I cannot find a link on Google!

For playback of video files, I would recommend installing Media Player Classic after the operating system is installed. MPC is based on WMP 6.4, a very "lite" version of Windows Media Player and it comes bundled with Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative. For the latest versions of both these applications, click here. This player will handle pretty much all formats you'll need. Along with foobar2000, this is a very flexable combination of software capable of playing almost everything, as well as burning audio discs, reading audio files from .zip and .rar files, converting between multiple formats, etc. WMP can't compete!

Services:

There's a section of nLite on Windows services. If you don't know what these are, do not change anything in this section. If you do know, then be careful anyway. The best thing to do is configure the services later in the regular way -- via Black Viper's Services Configuration patches, or manually configuring via Windows Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services. Stick with these methods unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing.

For all novices -- leave the services section of nLite alone.

Last edited: May 17, 2005

Guest Deeswift

Just pasting what was removed from my last disc...

DO NOT COPY OR FOLLOW THIS CONFIGURATION!

[Main]

[Tasks]

Integrate a Service Pack

Remove Components

Unattended Setup

Integrate Hotfixes

Options and Tweaks

Create a Bootable ISO

[Components]

;# Applications #

Accessibility Options

Briefcase

ClipBook Viewer

Defragmenter

Games

Internet Games

NT Backup

Pinball

Screensavers

;# Drivers #

Battery

Bluetooth Support

Brother Devices

Display Adapters

Display Adapters (old)

Ethernet (LAN)

IBM Thinkpad

InfraRed

ISDN

Modems

MultiFunctional

Multi-port serial adapters

Portable Audio

Printers

Scanners

Smartcards

Sony Jog Dial

Sony Memory Stick

Sound Controllers

Toshiba DVD decoder card

Wireless Ethernet (WLAN)

;# Internet Utilities #

Client for Netware Networks

Communication tools

FrontPage Extensions

Internet Connection Wizard

Internet Information Services (IIS)

MSN Explorer

Netmeeting

Network Monitor Driver and Tools

Outlook Express

Peer-to-Peer

Synchronization Manager

Web Folders

Windows Messenger

;# Multimedia #

Images and Backgrounds

Media Center

Mouse Cursors

Movie Maker

Music Samples

Speech Support

Tablet PC

Windows Media Player

Windows Sounds

;# Operating System Options #

Desktop Cleanup Wizard

Extra Fonts

File and Settings Wizard

Framework

Help

Jet Database Engine

Manual Install and Upgrade

MS Agent

Search Assistant

Service Pack Messages

Tour

Web View

;# Services #

Alerter

CTF Loader

Error Reporting

Fax Services

Indexing Service

IPSEC Policy Agent

Messenger

Network DDE

Remote Registry

Removable Storage

Secondary Logon

Service Advertising Protocol

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Telnet Server

Uninterruptible Power Supply

Universal Plug and Play

WebClient

;# Languages #

Afrikaans

Albanian

Arabic (Saudi Arabia)

Arabic (Iraq)

Arabic (Egypt)

Arabic (Libya)

Arabic (Algeria)

Arabic (Morocco)

Arabic (Tunisia)

Arabic (Oman)

Arabic (Yemen)

Arabic (Syria)

Arabic (Jordan)

Arabic (Lebanon)

Arabic (Kuwait)

Arabic (U.A.E.)

Arabic (Bahrain)

Arabic (Qatar)

Armenian

Azeri (Latin)

Azeri (Cyrillic)

Basque

Belarusian

Bengali (India)

Bosnian (Latin, Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Bulgarian

Catalan

Chinese (Taiwan)

Chinese (PRC)

Chinese (Hong Kong S.A.R.)

Chinese (Singapore)

Chinese (Macau S.A.R.)

Croatian

Croatian (Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Czech

Danish

Divehi (Maldives)

Dutch (Netherlands)

Dutch (Belgium)

English (Australia)

English (Canada)

English (New Zealand)

English (Ireland)

English (South Africa)

English (Jamaica)

English (Caribbean)

English (Belize)

English (Trinidad)

English (Zimbabwe)

English (Philippines)

Estonian

Faeroese

Farsi

Finnish

French (France)

French (Belgium)

French (Canada)

French (Switzerland)

French (Luxembourg)

French (Monaco)

Galician (Spain)

Georgian

German (Germany)

German (Switzerland)

German (Austria)

German (Luxembourg)

German (Liechtenstein)

Greek

Gujarati (India)

Hebrew

Hindi

Hungarian

Icelandic

Indonesian

Italian (Italy)

Italian (Switzerland)

Japanese

Kannada (India)

Kazakh

Konkani

Korean

Korean (Johab)

Kyrgyz (Kyrgyzstan)

Latvian

Lithuanian

FYRO Macedonian

Malay (Malaysia)

Malay (Brunei Darussalam)

Malayalam (India)

Maltese

Maori

Marathi

Mongolian (Mongolia)

Northern Sotho

Norwegian (Bokmal)

Norwegian (Nynorsk)

Polish

Portuguese (Brazil)

Portuguese (Portugal)

Punjabi (India)

Quechua (Bolivia)

Quechua (Ecuador)

Quechua (Peru)

Romanian

Russian

Sami, Northern (Norway)

Sami, Northern (Sweden)

Sami, Northern (Finland)

Sami, Lule (Norway)

Sami, Lule (Sweden)

Sami, Southern (Norway)

Sami, Southern (Sweden)

Sami, Skolt (Finland)

Sami, Inari (Finland)

Sanskrit

Serbian (Latin)

Serbian (Latin, Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Serbian (Cyrillic)

Serbian (Cyrillic, Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Slovak

Slovenian

Spanish (Traditional Sort)

Spanish (Mexico)

Spanish (International Sort)

Spanish (Guatemala)

Spanish (Costa Rica)

Spanish (Panama)

Spanish (Dominican Republic)

Spanish (Venezuela)

Spanish (Colombia)

Spanish (Peru)

Spanish (Argentina)

Spanish (Ecuador)

Spanish (Chile)

Spanish (Uruguay)

Spanish (Paraguay)

Spanish (Bolivia)

Spanish (El Salvador)

Spanish (Honduras)

Spanish (Nicaragua)

Spanish (Puerto Rico)

Swahili

Swedish

Swedish (Finland)

Syriac (Syria)

Tamil

Tatar

Telugu (India)

Thai

Tswana

Turkish

Ukrainian

Urdu

Uzbek (Latin)

Uzbek (Cyrillic)

Vietnamese

Welsh

Xhosa

Zulu

;# Directories #

DOCS

SUPPORT

VALUEADD

[KeepFiles]

msconfig.exe

scrnsave.scr

[RemoveFiles]

blastcln.exe

clock.avi

bliss.jpg

telnet.exe

[Options]

AdminName = "XXXXXX"

AdminNChange

ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"

;#ISO maker#

isovol =

isoatt = -allow-multidot -relaxed-filenames -allow-leading-dots -N -l -d -D -joliet-long -duplicates-once -no-emul-boot -b boot.bin -hide boot.bin -hide boot.catalog

[Tweaks]

;# Desktop,Taskbar & Startmenu #

Add Device Manager to My Computer Context Menu

Add Services to My Computer Context Menu

Disable Balloon Tips

Disable Highlight newly installed programs

Disable Start Panel popup on first boot

Hide My Documents icon from the desktop

Hide My Network Places icon from the desktop

Remove My Documents from Start Menu

Remove Set Program Access and Defaults from Start menu

Remove Windows Catalog from Start Menu

;# Experimental #

Disable Prefetch-Cache

;# Explorer #

Advanced Search: preconfigure options

Disable Autorun

Disable Prefix: Shortcut to

Disable shortcut arrow

Recycle Bin: make renamable

Remove Internet Explorer icon on desktop

Remove Shared Documents

Set sound scheme to No Sounds

Show extensions of known file-types

Show Statusbar in all windows

;# File Open/Save Dialog #

Disable File MRU-List

;# Internet Explorer #

Disable Internet Explorer link creation

Disable Links folder in IE Favorites

Disable Market Place bookmark

Disable Media Player 6.4 created bookmarks

Disable Outlook Express link creation

;# Security & Privacy #

Clear most recently opened documents list on logoff

Disable administrative shares

Disable and Remove Documents List from Start Menu

Disable Driver Update Internet prompt

Disable Last accessed Timestamp on files

Disable LM HOSTS lookup

Disable Simple File Sharing

Disable User Process Tracking

Disable Web Open With prompt

Remove Alexa Spyware

;# Speed #

Classic Control Panel

Disable Automatically search for network folders and Printers

Disable Optimize harddisk when idle

Disable Restore Mapped Network Drives on Logon

Disable Tracking of Broken Shortcut Links

Disable Warn on low disk space

Do not cache thumbnails

Do not Parse Autoexec.bat

Use Windows classic folders / No Tasks Sidepanel

;# Visual Effects #

Disable: Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing

Disable: Fade or slide menus into view

Disable: Fade or slide ToolTips into view

Disable: Fade out menu items after clicking

Disable: Show shadows under menus

Disable: Show shadows under mouse pointer

Disable: Show translucent selection rectangle

Disable: Show windows contents while dragging

Disable: Slide open combo boxes

Disable: Slide taskbar buttons

Disable: Use a bachground image for each folder type

Disable: Use common tasks in folders

Disable: Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

[Drivers]

[Hotfixes]

F:\Storage\Microsft Windows®\RVMUpdate Pack v1.2.0 FULL\RVMUpdatePack1.2Full.cab

Guest Deeswift

I don't quite understand why they don't bring out Lite versions. They could do this and offer many of the "features" as add-on's, should you wish to add them later.

Guest Deeswift

Did you remove an option or component that makes it uninstallable on a laptop? I remember seeing it somewhere within the program. But to answer your question, I really don't know, I don't use a floppy and have never needed to.

ahem..yep i know where ive gone wrong now...i selected the items to keep..wereas you should select the things to remove...i may not have any boot files but at least ive kept the screensaver and the annoying dog

• 4 months later...

Dee, at the end, in General 1/2. Is "Install IIS" supposed to be checked or not? Im not sure if I checked mine or it was already checked before... Also, if you leave things in Personal blank, it will ask you manually, when you install right? And also is "Oem Preinstall" supposed to be checked?

Guest Deeswift

Yeah, you should be able to leave OEM checked. I removed IIS. Not sure about leaving things blank, I never tried that. My guess is that it will interrupt the installatrion and ask you to fill out the missing information. If you need to leave things blank, don't choose the option to make a fully unnattended installation disc.

If it helps, here's what I removed or changed in my latest version. Total size is 146 MB. By no means follow what I did, be careful about what you remove.

[Main]

Env = 1.0 beta 5 - 1.1.4322.2032.Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600.0

Target = Windows XP Professional Sp2 - build 2180 - English (United States)

[Tasks]

Integrate a Service Pack

Remove Components

Unattended Setup

Integrate Hotfixes

Tweaks

Create a Bootable ISO

[Components]

;# Applications #

Accessibility Options

Briefcase

ClipBook Viewer

Games

Internet Games

NT Backup

Paint

Pinball

Screensavers

;# Drivers #

Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM)

Display Adapters

Display Adapters (old)

Ethernet (LAN)

IBM Thinkpad

InfraRed

ISDN

Modems

MultiFunctional

Portable Audio

Printers

Scanners

Smartcards

Sony Jog Dial

Sound Controllers

Tape drives

Toshiba DVD decoder card

Wireless Ethernet (WLAN)

;# Hardware Support #

ATM Support

Battery

Bluetooth Support

Brother Devices

Multi-port serial adapters

Multi-Processor Support

Sony Memory Stick

;# Languages #

;Arabic

Arabic (Algeria)

Arabic (Bahrain)

Arabic (Egypt)

Arabic (Iraq)

Arabic (Jordan)

Arabic (Kuwait)

Arabic (Lebanon)

Arabic (Libya)

Arabic (Morocco)

Arabic (Oman)

Arabic (Qatar)

Arabic (Saudi Arabia)

Arabic (Syria)

Arabic (Tunisia)

Arabic (U.A.E.)

Arabic (Yemen)

Divehi (Maldives)

Syriac (Syria)

Urdu

;Armenian

Armenian

;Baltic

Estonian

Latvian

Lithuanian

;Central Europe

Albanian

Bosnian (Latin, Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Croatian

Croatian (Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Czech

Hungarian

Polish

Romanian

Serbian (Latin)

Serbian (Latin, Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Slovak

Slovenian

;Cyrillic

Azeri (Cyrillic)

Belarusian

Bulgarian

FYRO Macedonian

Kazakh

Kyrgyz (Kyrgyzstan)

Mongolian (Mongolia)

Russian

Serbian (Cyrillic)

Serbian (Cyrillic, Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Tatar

Ukrainian

Uzbek (Cyrillic)

;Georgian

Georgian

;Greek

Greek

;Hebrew

Hebrew

;Indic

Bengali (India)

Gujarati (India)

Hindi

Kannada (India)

Konkani

Malayalam (India)

Marathi

Punjabi (India)

Sanskrit

Tamil

Telugu (India)

;Japanese

Japanese

;Korean

Korean

;Simplified Chinese

Chinese (PRC)

Chinese (Singapore)

;Thai

Farsi

Thai

;Traditional Chinese

Chinese (Hong Kong S.A.R.)

Chinese (Macau S.A.R.)

Chinese (Taiwan)

;Turkic

Azeri (Latin)

Turkish

Uzbek (Latin)

;Vietnamese

Vietnamese

;Western Europe and United States

Afrikaans

Basque

Catalan

Danish

Dutch (Belgium)

Dutch (Netherlands)

English (Australia)

English (Belize)

English (Canada)

English (Caribbean)

English (Ireland)

English (Jamaica)

English (New Zealand)

English (Philippines)

English (South Africa)

English (Trinidad)

English (Zimbabwe)

Faeroese

Finnish

French (Belgium)

French (Canada)

French (France)

French (Luxembourg)

French (Monaco)

French (Switzerland)

Galician (Spain)

German (Austria)

German (Germany)

German (Liechtenstein)

German (Luxembourg)

German (Switzerland)

Icelandic

Indonesian

Italian (Italy)

Italian (Switzerland)

Malay (Brunei Darussalam)

Malay (Malaysia)

Maltese

Maori

Northern Sotho

Norwegian (Bokmal)

Norwegian (Nynorsk)

Portuguese (Brazil)

Portuguese (Portugal)

Quechua (Bolivia)

Quechua (Ecuador)

Quechua (Peru)

Sami, Inari (Finland)

Sami, Lule (Norway)

Sami, Lule (Sweden)

Sami, Northern (Finland)

Sami, Northern (Norway)

Sami, Northern (Sweden)

Sami, Skolt (Finland)

Sami, Southern (Norway)

Sami, Southern (Sweden)

Spanish (Argentina)

Spanish (Bolivia)

Spanish (Chile)

Spanish (Colombia)

Spanish (Costa Rica)

Spanish (Dominican Republic)

Spanish (Ecuador)

Spanish (El Salvador)

Spanish (Guatemala)

Spanish (Honduras)

Spanish (International Sort)

Spanish (Mexico)

Spanish (Nicaragua)

Spanish (Panama)

Spanish (Paraguay)

Spanish (Peru)

Spanish (Puerto Rico)

Spanish (Traditional Sort)

Spanish (Uruguay)

Spanish (Venezuela)

Swahili

Swedish

Swedish (Finland)

Tswana

Welsh

Xhosa

Zulu

;# Multimedia #

AOL ART Image Format Support

DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Images and Backgrounds

Media Center

MIDI audio support

Mouse Cursors

Movie Maker

Music Samples

Old CDPlayer and Sound Recorder

Speech Support

Tablet PC

Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player 6.4

Windows Sounds

;# Network #

Client for Netware Networks

Communication tools

FrontPage Extensions

Internet Connection Wizard

Internet Information Services (IIS)

Map Network Drives/Network Places Wizard

MSN Explorer

Netmeeting

NetShell Cmd-Tool

Network Monitor Driver and Tools

NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol

Peer-to-Peer

Synchronization Manager

Tcp/Ip Version 6

Web Folders

Windows Messenger

;# Operating System Options #

Administrator VB scripts

Color Schemes

Desktop Cleanup Wizard

Disk Cleanup

Extra Fonts

File and Settings Wizard

Framework

Help

Input Method Editor

Manual Install and Upgrade

MS Agent

Out of Box Experience (OOBE)

Search Assistant

Security Center

Service Pack Messages

Task Scheduler

Tour

Web View

;# Services #

Alerter

Autoupdate

CTF Loader

DNS Client

Error Reporting

Fax Services

Imapi

Indexing Service

IPSEC Policy Agent

Messenger

Network Provisioning

QoS RSVP

Quality of Service (QoS)

Remote Registry

Removable Storage

Secondary Logon

Service Advertising Protocol

System Restore

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Telnet Server

Uninterruptible Power Supply

WebClient

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

;# Directories #

DOCS

SUPPORT

VALUEADD

;# Compatibility #

[KeepFiles]

msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]

blastcln.exe

clock.avi

bliss.jpg

ctfmon.exe

[Options]

OemBranding

AdminName = "XXXXXX" (edited)

AdminNChange

ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"

SrvpEnabled

RemoveMUI

;#ISO maker#

isovol = WinLite

isoatt = -allow-multidot -relaxed-filenames -allow-leading-dots -N -l -d -D -joliet-long -duplicates-once -no-emul-boot -b boot.bin -hide boot.bin -hide boot.catalog

[Patches]

DoTcpip

TcpIp = 100

UsbPoll = 125

DoUxTheme

DoSFC

[services]

ALG,3

AppMgmt,3

Browser,4

CryptSvc,3

DcomLaunch,2

DHCP,2

TrkWks,3

EventLog,2

HTTP,3

HTTPFilter,3

HidServ,4

IpInIp,3

IpNat,3

IpFilterDriver,3

NDProxy,3

NetLogon,4

Netman,3

NetDDE,4

NetDDEdsdm,4

NLA,3

xmlprov,3

NtLmSsp,3

SysmonLog,4

PlugPlay,2

ProtectedStorage,2

RasAuto,3

RasMan,3

RpcLocator,3

RemoteAccess,4

SamSs,2

LanmanServer,4

SCardDrv,4

Srv,3

SENS,2

TapiSrv,3

Themes,2

VSS,3

AudioSrv,2

Wmi,3

W32Time,4

LanmanWorkstation,2

[Tweaks]

;# Boot & Shutdown #

Disable Prefetch-Cache

Do not Parse Autoexec.bat

;# Desktop,Taskbar & Startmenu #

Disable Status Messages

Make Recycle Bin renamable

Remove Internet Explorer icon

Remove My Computer icon

Remove My Documents icon

Remove My Network Places icon

;# Explorer #

Advanced Search: preconfigure options

Disable Autorun

Disable Prefix: Shortcut to

Disable shortcut arrow

Show extensions of known file-types

;# File Open/Save Dialog #

Disable File MRU-List

Preset Places Bar to: C: D: E: DESKTOP LAN

;# Internet Explorer #

Disable Download Complete notification

Disable Go Button

Disable Internet Explorer link creation

Disable Market Place bookmark

Disable Media Player 6.4 created bookmarks

Disable Outlook Express link creation

Disable Password-Caching

Preset Homepage to google.com

Set Internet Explorer to accept 10 connects a time

;# My Computer #

Add Services to Context Menu

Remove Shared Documents

;# Network #

Disable automatic search for network folders and printers

;# Privacy #

Clear most recently opened documents list on logoff

Disable and Remove Documents List from Start Menu

Disable Driver Update Internet prompt

Disable Last accessed Timestamp on files

Disable Logging of executed programs

Disable User Process Tracking

Remove Alexa Spyware

;# Security #

Always show Updates under Software

Disable Web Open With prompt

Remove and Disable Access to Windows Update

Unhide Administrator account

;# Speed #

Classic Control Panel

Disable Optimize harddisk when idle

Disable Tracking of Broken Shortcut Links

Disable Warn on low disk space

Do not cache thumbnails

Use Windows classic folders / No Tasks Sidepanel

;# Start Menu #

Disable Highlight newly installed programs

Disable popup on first boot

Reduce popup delay

Remove Logoff User

Remove My Documents

Remove My Music

Remove My Pictures

Remove Search the Internet from Search

Remove Set Program Access and Defaults

Remove Username

Remove Windows Catalog from Start Menu

;# Taskbar #

Disable Balloon Tips

Disable Group similar Taskbar buttons

;# Visual Effects #

Disable: Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing

Disable: Show translucent selection rectangle

Disable: Show windows contents while dragging

Disable: Slide taskbar buttons

Disable: Transitions and Shadows

Disable: Use a background image for each folder type

Disable: Use common tasks in folders

Disable: Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

[Drivers]

[Hotfixes]

E:\Storage\Microsoft Windows®\WindowsXP-KB893066-v2-x86-ENU.exe

E:\Storage\Microsoft Windows®\WindowsXP-KB903235-x86-ENU.exe

E:\Storage\Microsoft Windows®\RVMUpdate Pack v1.2.2 FULL\RVMUpdatePack1.2.2Full.cab[/code]

Guest Deeswift

Well I only built it today, and so far it's 99% fine. There's one or two mysterious things happened, such as the defragmenter going missing for no reason, plus one insignificant error I can spot. Apart from that, it's rock solid. I honestly do not recommend following it exactly though, your needs are probably different. If you'e not sure of something, Google whatever it is and you will probably find the answer whether or not to remove it.