Turntablism as musicianship

ericuk

I don't agree that scratch drumming is a pale imitation of 'real drumming' at all - they're completely different instruments and hence not comparable

I disagree with this too. While they are completely different instruments, the goal is essentially the same and scratch drumming is incredibly limited in scope compared to real drumming.

Ok then assuming the goal is the same - (although it's not) - then would you agree that when it comes to reverse drumming, a real drummer finds himself not so much limited in scope, but just completely fucked? Haha :)

What do you think the goal is when scratch drumming? To create a beat I would assume.

Scratch drumming is primitive as fuck compared to real drumming. It would be, considering it's almost always someone just cutting up "kick - snare" or "snare - kick".

I can't believe this is even up for debate. I love scratching, but come back to me when a scratch drummer can do something like this: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyABiUpihs

being good at scratching is like being good at a video game. No one really gives a fuck.

I agree. I spend more time making music rather than scratching these days. I enjoy both equally, but the music production scene is a far greater one to be involved in and there are far more opportunities... which shouldn't be a motive for doing something I am passionate about, but it certainly helps.

What do you think the goal is when scratch drumming? To create a beat I would assume.

Scratch drumming is primitive as fuck compared to real drumming. It would be, considering it's almost always someone just cutting up "kick - snare" or "snare - kick".

I can't believe this is even up for debate. I love scratching, but come back to me when a scratch drummer can do something like this: -

Sorry but that's a straight up non sequitur for me. Of course a scratch drummer can't do what Neil Peart is doing - because he's using a drum kit!

- and Neil Peart can't do reverse drumming because he's not using a turntable. That was my point, that these things are different instruments/artforms and hence it makes no more sense to make a 'better than/worse than' comparison any more than it would be to say that a drum kit is primitive as fuck compared to a drum machine, or perhaps "the goal of both books and movies is to tell a story, but books are just primitive in comparison." I try to appreciate all artforms within context, whether that be book writing, movie making, drum bashing, needle thrashing, whatever... it just seems unduly negative to me to say that one is shitter than the other. I played a 2 hour set a club last week and was the only DJ cutting up, juggling, drum scratchin etc.. lots of people approached me afterwards to say that it really made a difference to their experience of the night to see someone doing isomething nteresting rather than just jockeying discs. "Oh well, back to the usual stuff" is what one girl said when the next DJ came on after me. which made my night.

..But now I've re-read this thread and pondered on it all a while, I think you may be right - scratching is a complete waste of time; I'm shit at it anyway and

no-one really cares.... :(

NOT REALLY I LOVE IT + I AM TEH BEST!! AHHH FRESHH 4 EVA n that

Peace

it just seems unduly negative to me to say that one is shitter than the other

It's just realistic.

I played a 2 hour set a club last week and was the only DJ cutting up, juggling, drum scratchin etc.. lots of people approached me afterwards to say that it really made a difference to their experience of the night to see someone doing isomething nteresting rather than just jockeying discs. "Oh well, back to the usual stuff" is what one girl said when the next DJ came on after me. which made my night.

I'd say that those other DJs on the night were worse than you, but it would be unduly negative. :p

Steve you contrary reductionist bugger.

If your argument is 'the Beatles wouldn't have sounded as good if Ringo was scratch drumming' you may well be right... but you're also saying that Phantaz would have sounded better if there were a real drummer instead of D scratching the drums. But not just *sounded* better, but *been* better, thematically, ideologically, and so on...

Context is key and 'essentially the same task' depends on what context things are in.

Out of piano and guitar, which do you think people should stop using?

I'm not saying that Phantaz would have sounded better if real drums were used. I said that scratch drumming is incredibly limited in scope compared to real drumming and I said that virtually nobody gives a fuck about scratch music and they likely never will. Unless you're a scratch nerd already, showing someone scratch drumming is like showing them this: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vE0-Xe26zM

Yeah, comparing 2 methods of achieving essentially the same task - creating a beat - is "the most absurd thing ever". Whether you can scratch on a drum kit is irrelevant.

Scratch nerds getting over-defensive alert.

Saying a drummer can drum better than a scratcher can drum is just about the most obvious point you could possibly argue. The absurd part is comparing an instrument which has the sole purpose of creating a beat to an instrument that has the ability to create a beat but it's a very small part of what it can do. It's like comparing the scratch sounds Tom Morello makes on guitar to actual scratching, if there is a point it's not a very important one considering everything else a guitar (or turntable in this case) can do.