DV equipment poll - analogue and digital gear in 2012

26 members have voted

1. 1. What is your DJ equipment comprised of?

• I'm 100% analogue, vinyl 4 lyfe!
    • I use a mix of analogue and digital
    • I'm 100% digital

When voting, only consider the equipment you would use if playing a DJ gig - don't include other DJ gear you might have for production or whatever.

I don't play gigs any more, but if I did I would use a mix of Serato and vinyl, which is what I use when making mixtapes.

Yep.

For DJ sets and mixes : a mixture of serato and vinyl. For new tracks , I don't mind only having the mp3, but for old crate digging stuff I want to have the vinyl.

and not really the question you asked but :

Live stuff I aimed to do it without software, but the MPC, and loop pedal are still digital.

For sampling - vinyl only. It's an enjoyment thing, part of the pleasure is in the hunt.

Pet hate :when dj's have the laptop set up in front of the mixer.

Guest Symatic

all vinyl for me. i'll cave eventually i'm sure, and get serato. i use my laptop for fx and looping sometimes.

its partly a vinyl geek thing, but also i find i can't chirp very well using serato, i guess its the lag, but it pisses me off! also i like digging and i like using and collecting records

at home if im cutting i'll just use vinyl, but for mixing definitely serato. I just dont have the collection of vinyl that i do mp3s (which is sad, but not alot is getting released on vinyl now, and if it does, its £7 for a single)

the times i've played out recently (last 2 years) i used Doob's serato.

I'm a mixed (ha! like DJ mixing) man. I started out as a vinyl purist but when I got Traktor it just became easier to acquire mp3s. My basic philosophy is I dig for vinyl, but if there's a specific track I want it's usually easier and cheaper to get it digital.

Playing out it's a mix of the two, about 50/50 and when making mixes about the same, although I tend to rip any vinyl to digital for the mix itself so I can take advantage of Traktor's functions.

I'm a mixed (ha! like DJ mixing) man. I started out as a vinyl purist but when I got Traktor it just became easier to acquire mp3s. My basic philosophy is I dig for vinyl, but if there's a specific track I want it's usually easier and cheaper to get it digital.

Playing out it's a mix of the two, about 50/50 and when making mixes about the same, although I tend to rip any vinyl to digital for the mix itself so I can take advantage of Traktor's functions.

you're growing up so fast!

I djed a fucking awful 40th birthday party the other night and I used the old wedding playlist on my itunes and played it from my computer. The sound was fucking dreadful compared to vinyl. I suppose if you have the wav of a vinyl rip or some kind of high level file type it would sound better but I think I would go with vinyl where I could anyway just so I know the sound is top notch!

Don't get all pissy with me though I would love to have serato or traktor for some things.

I've had traktor for a while now and totally see advantages (as long as the files you play are high enough quality). But I've already got a record collection and just can't be arsed to sit down and record them all... particularly as I'm not often playing out these days.

I suppose if you have the wav of a vinyl rip or some kind of high level file type it would sound better but I think I would go with vinyl where I could anyway just so I know the sound is top notch!

Yeah, the quality of the digital files makes a huge difference. When I make mixes now, I tend to rip all of the tracks to Apple Lossless files (a format I don't like, but it's the only lossless format Serato supports other than WAV, which doesn't support tags) just cos to me it sounds exactly the same and it means I'm wearing out cheapo Serato vinyl instead of the actual records. It also means I can just have 1 record on my turntable all the time, which sounds kinda lazy - and is - but when I'm multitracking I'll often swap back and forth between tracks to add/change bits, so that's quite handy.

Serato definitely isn't 1:1 for scratching, but for all mixing and most scratching I would say that it's just as good. If I was just cutting, then I would rather use a regular record though for sure.

In terms of ownership of music, MP3 is worthless to me. I'd rather have vinyl any day.

I use almost 100% digital but usually bring a record to scratch (even tho I usually don't). Sometimes I do 45 sets tho. I still voted digital because that's most common for me.

I'm pretty much 100% digital to be fair, I still bring a couple of battle records to scratch. If it's just a party I don't bring any spare vinyl, if I was getting paid I would though in case anything fucked up.

Music wise I buy a mix of vinyl and mp3s/wavs.

DJ wise I only play out with serato, but occasionally bring records out if I haven't had a chance to record them at home for serato or if I'm going to be DJing with another serato DJ and need transition records. I always have a battle break in my record bag too if I want to do lengthy amounts of cutting.

I still prefer vinyl over serato for scratching, but am using serato more at the moment as I'm building routines.

Production wise I predominantly use software, occasionally using a hardware synth and my mpc, but they're both digital.

I suppose if you have the wav of a vinyl rip or some kind of high level file type it would sound better but I think I would go with vinyl where I could anyway just so I know the sound is top notch!

Yeah, the quality of the digital files makes a huge difference. When I make mixes now, I tend to rip all of the tracks to Apple Lossless files (a format I don't like, but it's the only lossless format Serato supports other than WAV, which doesn't support tags) just cos to me it sounds exactly the same and it means I'm wearing out cheapo Serato vinyl instead of the actual records. It also means I can just have 1 record on my turntable all the time, which sounds kinda lazy - and is - but when I'm multitracking I'll often swap back and forth between tracks to add/change bits, so that's quite handy.

Serato definitely isn't 1:1 for scratching, but for all mixing and most scratching I would say that it's just as good. If I was just cutting, then I would rather use a regular record though for sure.

In terms of ownership of music, MP3 is worthless to me. I'd rather have vinyl any day.

I'm sure you have plenty, but having every file as lossless/wav surely beasts memory. I'd like to have serato but I only have a 250G hardrive on my laptop I reckon if I recorded all the tracks I wanted in as a wav it would beast it!???

I'm sure you have plenty, but having every file as lossless/wav surely beasts memory. I'd like to have serato but I only have a 250G hardrive on my laptop I reckon if I recorded all the tracks I wanted in as a wav it would beast it!???

320 is absolutely fine for most systems imo

WAV at regular CD quality works out to 10 MB per minute of audio. 250 GB of space gives you room for over 400 hours of music.

If you use lossless compression, you're looking at at least another 25% on top of that, so you could easily do 500 hours.

Obviously, it depends how big your library is and, if you have a laptop just for DJing, whether you would put only the tracks you use for DJing on it, but I think people do tend to overestimate the space that lossless music takes up.

WAV at regular CD quality works out to 10 MB per minute of audio. 250 GB of space gives you room for over 400 hours of music.

If you use lossless compression, you're looking at at least another 25% on top of that, so you could easily do 500 hours.

Obviously, it depends how big your library is and, if you have a laptop just for DJing, whether you would put only the tracks you use for DJing on it, but I think people do tend to overestimate the space that lossless music takes up.

OK cheers Steve that's good to know!

Every now and then I like to bust out the real wax for a mix, but only in the studio. The one thing I miss most is reading vinyl and working out drops just by looking at the different shade of the record. Gig wise I'm 99% digital, but I never leave home without a handful records just in case.

I dunno Jon, I was playing some 320s the other night and then playing vinyl and the difference was really obvious!

MP3 are fine for ipod's and in the car but for dj'n, nah! Lossless or wav all the way. To be fair some 320 can be surprisingly good, all depends on the conversion quality and production levels.

• 4 months later...

I had serato for a bit, but didn't really like it. It was mad handy and all, but the sound...sounded like shit. No matter how I changed the levels, it was just so tinny. All the bass was gone. Hurt my ears. Plus, I think it distances me from the real thing. So I sold it and went back to vinyl, and damn, it sounds amazing. Kinda like using a condom, then riding bareback. F'ing great. Still though, I use digital sometimes, like with an APC 40 and vinyl. And, well, chances are I'll get Traktor 'cause there are tons of tracks I want to play that aren't on vinyl, like some Bieber ish.

By the way, I think mp3's sound way better through Ableton than they do in Serato. Also, it just doesn't look right when a dj is staring at their computer screen during a set. For what it's worth though, Serato was a lot of fun and it's super stable, it was mainly the sound issues...

• Like 1