Chirp Boomerang TTM video tutorial

chile

The boomerang can be considered a six beat cross rhythm. When we add another two beats to this scratch using a chirp, the total number of beats in the combination is lengthened to eight. The result is a cross rhythm influenced regular time scratch.

• 1 year later...
I've succeed in timing it on lorn loopers "66.6am" (71bpm) however I have trouble to time it on lorn loopers "dejection"(78bpm).
@DJ chile how do you get this technique timed on the beat? I've been trying it to cut it up in parts, so lets say the chirp are first 2 and then the boomerang the last 6. Strange that 6 is easier for me over 4/4 beat while this combo is an 8 technique and should work better on 4/4. Thanks!

This has gone too far now. You need a girlfriend.

• 6 months later...

I've succeed in timing it on lorn loopers "66.6am" (71bpm) however I have trouble to time it on lorn loopers "dejection"(78bpm).
@DJ chile how do you get this technique timed on the beat? I've been trying it to cut it up in parts, so lets say the chirp are first 2 and then the boomerang the last 6. Strange that 6 is easier for me over 4/4 beat while this combo is an 8 technique and should work better on 4/4. Thanks!

This has gone too far now. You need a girlfriend.

Lol!

• 1 month later...

What I like to do is to mix this scratch with the chirp-OG-OG, it sounds dope.

• Like 1

^^ yep thats another 8 sounder too :-) chirp prizm too ..

i might be having a spaz moment but i dont see a chip followed by a boomerang in the ttm . 1-2 is a chirp , but 3-8 doesn't look like a boomerang to me . I see 1 openfader stab 2-7 reverse boomerang 8 pull back .. im prob just trying to work it out with my own cuts somehow ;-p

^^ yep thats another 8 sounder too :-) chirp prizm too ..

i might be having a spaz moment but i dont see a chip followed by a boomerang in the ttm . 1-2 is a chirp , but 3-8 doesn't look like a boomerang to me . I see 1 openfader stab 2-7 reverse boomerang 8 pull back .. im prob just trying to work it out with my own cuts somehow ;-p

Maybe you do the Boomerang clicks like C-CC-C, while here it is -CC-CC as in a 2-Click-Orbit? I've had quite a few senseless arguments with friends about where the clicks should be because I normally do the first / your version and they do the second.

Hint: Don't talk about Boom-Flares in such cases if there's no pen and sheet of paper nearby.

Chirp-Prizms are nice if I can get them to work - I also like combos with four OGs and one 1-Click-Orbit = 16 sounds.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

I'm to lazy to bother checking the vid and see but he might be doing boomerangs like some people do where they start on the backward and then go to the forward baby (or slice if you would rather), fwd, then back baby or just another phase of the boomer. I dunno.

• Like 1

I'm going to pretend that's some stylised frog spawn in a hollowed out red cabbage.

On the realz though, i didn't used to call myself The Grand Fantastical Lazy DJ Momma9 for nothing, i'm very lazy. Plus if i post stuff like that and it turns out to be right then i'll look like a genius. It'll pay off one day.

Also, thanks for believing i could hurt you in a battle, i'm gonna take that as a huge compliment.

• Like 1

mfop - i don't understand the transcription with the c's and -'s , sorry mate :-(

/'\ = chirp (an open fader cut)

,/\,/'\/'\ = boomerang (a closed fader cut)

chile does /'\/'\,/\,/'\ which is not the above two pushed together imho

imho its a problem with naming scratches - when u start comboing stuff ,names are ok as building blocks, but it start going out the window for naming the whole combo and only ttm really works ( or i name it after the person)

C's mean clicks and - is a pause / no click.

If I understand you, then your (and my) version is this (C-C)...

... while I believe Chile's version to be

So the clicks are in the same place as in a 2-Click-Orbit (-CC).

I completely agree with the problem of giving names to specific combos - in the end there are tons of variations that are hard to explain verbally ("you can derive it by doubling the note value of the third note and shifting the fader rhythm by one sixteenth" - no one will understand it :d ).

Also, to Phil: It's not a frog spawn but a passion fruit, so summon the power of the Toad and enter the battle - I know from SSS videos that you have some sweet cuts up your sleeve or wherever you store them - doesn't matter if your name is "The Grand Fantastical Lazy DJ Momma9" (which is absolutely steal-worthy).

• Like 1

mfsop - bang on mate ! I;m pretty sur our version is the "official" version ... and yerrr now you point it out, looking at chiles i see the 2 click orbit in the fader hand over the babies .... nice , another open fader cut to add to the arsenal :-)

That is just the different phase of a boomerang though, dudes. Start from the second line and follow it so it loops round. Baby (or slice if you're particular), fwd, baby (or slice if you're particular), backward .

Yeah, click-wise it's just as in a delayed 2-Click-Orbit. I normally emphasize the first (and fourth) note of the "normal" Boomerang, though. It's funny how confusing simple things can get - it's the same with drum rudiments. For example, there's the standard paradiddle RLRR LRLL but the different phases like RLRL LRLR have their own names because you still try to accent the first hit of every group of four notes. Kind of soothing that "real musicians" have the same problems. :p

the boomerang i chose to notate is the boomerang i learned from reading descriptions in the asisphonics forum days.. im pretty sure it was described as an open fader scratch then. there was also a notation floating around for it which is the same as the one i use in the vid.. and yeah its a phase of the boomerang you guys are calling the official one. if you start from the beginning of the last baby in your one then you have the boomerang i notated.

theres not really a need for fancy names for phases imo.. thats where people shoot themselves in the foot with things making the theory seem more complicated than it is..

POTATO

TOPOTA

Just seen a new video by Ydna Murd and he has already written down the combinations of 2's (Chirp, 1-Click, Tear...) and 3's (2-Click combos, tears, transforms...) that lead to 8-note-combos: http://www.drumgate.com/PDF/Groups%20of%202s%20and%203s.pdf

If someone is interested in seeing that with drums (don't be fooled by the simplicity of the video - that guy can play!!):